Pres Café
ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=37)

RE: ITVX - James2001 - 22-10-2023

They already had that when it was ITV Hub, then got rid of it when it became ITVX...

RE: ITVX - IanJRedman - 22-10-2023

Yes, ITV Hub was SD but 50p - ITVX increased the resolution to 1080p but dropped to 25p. I'm wondering if they don't/didn't have the bandwidth to provide both. I'd like to see it fixed, though. Watching interlaced content at 25p is nasty.

I'm also astonished that they haven't added regional content before now, to be honest!

RE: ITVX - darrenlit94 - 22-10-2023

(20-10-2023, 03:57 PM)cable Wrote:  seems regional news and Weather are coming soon, there is a pop up on startup asks to confirm your postcode is correct.

seen on the XBOX app.

[align=center]Regional news and weather are coming soon[/align]
[align=center]tell us your postcode to get regional news, weather [/align]
[align=center]and ITV1 shows when they become available
[/align]

[align=center]based on your account[/align]
[align=center]Your postcode is [postcode]
[/align]

[align=center]we also use your postcode to show you relevant ads.[/align]
[align=center]see our privacy & cookie informational itv.com/privicy
[/align]
[align=center][change postcode] [this is correct][/align]

Is your content in HD on the Xbox app?

RE: ITVX - cable - 22-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 02:53 PM)darrenlit94 Wrote:  Is your content in HD on the Xbox app?
seems to be but there is definitely something up with the version of the app it as the colours noticably change as the app loads on the splash screen (this is on SDR 1080p Samsung TV). I don't use it because it doesn't feel right, I mainly use sky stream. It could do with an upgrade as it does not support profiles.

RE: ITVX - Orry Verducci - 24-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 12:46 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Yes, ITV Hub was SD but 50p - ITVX increased the resolution to 1080p but dropped to 25p. I'm wondering if they don't/didn't have the bandwidth to provide both. I'd like to see it fixed, though. Watching interlaced content at 25p is nasty.

I'm also astonished that they haven't added regional content before now, to be honest!

Simple answer, cost.

I believe ITV use AWS to deliver ITVX. Their cloud video encoding solution has tiered pricing depending on resolution and framerate, with HD costing more than SD, and framerates greater than 30 fps costing more. For ITVX they've presumably decided to pay the extra for HD encoding instead of the extra for 50p encoding. They could of course pay for both but have clearly decided not to.

This is before we get on to bandwidth costs. There's no limits to bandwidth but you do have to pay for it. 50p video files are usually bigger than 25p, which is more data being egressed and therefore a bigger bill.

I wish they would encode at 50p as 25p really doesn't look good on some content (e.g. live sport on ITV1), but on a commercial level I can see why they might be reluctant to.

RE: ITVX - Juicy Joe - 25-10-2023

You also need to make sure the frame rate on your device is set at 50Hz rather than the sometimes default 60Hz for ITVX otherwise you get noticeable juddering which is extremely irritating.

RE: ITVX - James2001 - 25-10-2023

When I first bought my Roku box, it would only output 60Hz, and lots of stuff looked terrible (even the 50p stuff on the iPlayer looked like a bad NTSC conversion), thankfully after a while they updated it to include a frame rate matching option.

RE: ITVX - London Lite - 25-10-2023

(25-10-2023, 11:21 PM)James2001 Wrote:  When I first bought my Roku box, it would only output 60Hz, and lots of stuff looked terrible (even the 50p stuff on the iPlayer looked like a bad NTSC conversion), thankfully after a while they updated it to include a frame rate matching option.

It was a major issue when NOW had badged Roku devices for the first few years of the platform before they were changed to 50Hz as well.

RE: ITVX - Neil Jones - 26-10-2023

The Firestick insists on 60Hz, though you can force 50Hz but it involves also locking it to a specific resolution as well, which effectively means you're upscaling to a large extent but doesn't as far as I can tell affect playback of stuff. There is a "frame matching option" which I suppose does what it says on the tin, but the TV still is at 60Hz in Automatic mode.

Not sure if specific apps can force a specific resolution, though that being said I know Disney+ will force HDR on the Firestick if you play content flagged as that, but everything else just comes out at 60Hz.

RE: ITVX - Juicy Joe - 26-10-2023

ITVX does not use the frame matching option on the Firestick at least on my TV. Nor Channel 4 or My5, only BBC iPlayer correctly implements it. And Firestick changes back to "Automatic" resolution and frame rate (60Hz) most times you turn it on - which is annoying, bringing back the obvious juddering issue. I guess most people would not know this.