Pres Café
BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure (/showthread.php?tid=406)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - cable - 01-04-2023

The BBC shouldn't be doing FAST channels - Free Ad Supported Television!

They'd have been better off bringing back the BBC HD channel, a chance to show its online programmes and repeats of good drama amongst other Genres.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - chris - 01-04-2023

We are missing the point on BBC Three - the 2016 online move was as much about cutting the budget as it was the platform.

When it returned to linear, the budget wasn’t restored. So you end up with a schedule full of repeats.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Brekkie - 01-04-2023

No surprise - it was always a case of them closing them because they felt they had to rather than wanted too, and if BBC4 is saved I imagine CBBC will be too as you might as well fill the daytime too - although the wording in that article suggests BBC3 might be closed again as it's return has been unsuccessful, which is unsurprising. It hasn't worked for the same reason the initial move online didn't work - you're asking the audience to watch the content in a different manner to what they're used too.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Kojak - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 12:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  No surprise - it was always a case of them closing them because they felt they had to rather than wanted too, and if BBC4 is saved I imagine CBBC will be too as you might as well fill the daytime too - although the wording in that article suggests BBC3 might be closed again as it's return has been unsuccessful, which is unsurprising.  It hasn't worked for the same reason the initial move online didn't work - you're asking the audience to watch the content in a different manner to what they're used too.
Will CBBC be saved if BBC4 is, though? I wonder if there would be a case for bringing forward the latter's start time to, say, 4pm or 5pm? There is certainly no shortage of content to fill the extra time. It could easily be spun as 'BBC4 was so popular that we're not only not closing it - we're extending its airtime'. 

As for BBC3 - let's face it, pre-2016, what was the main reason people watched that channel? Family Guy. Which is now doing the exact same job for ITV2 that it did for BBC3 (and isn't it funny? ITV couldn't wait to get their hands on that show once BBC3's closure was confirmed). That was the main hook for BBC3 - the 'gateway drug', if you like - that encouraged viewers to try its other programmes. Now it has nothing. Except 20-year-old Two Pints repeats. (If only the Beeb still had the rights to The Simpsons...)

I know one or two people here will want to throw eggs at me... but get rid of BBC3. They've tried bringing it back and it hasn't worked. But at least it's been tried. It's just a shame its schedule has been so lacklustre. The only way I think it could work is if they massively upped its budget - which won't happen in a month of Sundays. Cut your losses, Beeb. Keep BBC4 instead.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Roger Darthwell - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 01:54 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 12:50 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  No surprise - it was always a case of them closing them because they felt they had to rather than wanted too, and if BBC4 is saved I imagine CBBC will be too as you might as well fill the daytime too - although the wording in that article suggests BBC3 might be closed again as it's return has been unsuccessful, which is unsurprising.  It hasn't worked for the same reason the initial move online didn't work - you're asking the audience to watch the content in a different manner to what they're used too.
Will CBBC be saved if BBC4 is, though? I wonder if there would be a case for bringing forward the latter's start time to, say, 4pm or 5pm? There is certainly no shortage of content to fill the extra time. It could easily be spun as 'BBC4 was so popular that we're not only not closing it - we're extending its airtime'. 

As for BBC3 - let's face it, pre-2016, what was the main reason people watched that channel? Family Guy. Which is now doing the exact same job for ITV2 that it did for BBC3 (and isn't it funny? ITV couldn't wait to get their hands on that show once BBC3's closure was confirmed). That was the main hook for BBC3 - the 'gateway drug', if you like - that encouraged viewers to try its other programmes. Now it has nothing. Except 20-year-old Two Pints repeats. (If only the Beeb still had the rights to The Simpsons...)

I know one or two people here will want to throw eggs at me... but get rid of BBC3. They've tried bringing it back and it hasn't worked. But at least it's been tried. It's just a shame its schedule has been so lacklustre. The only way I think it could work is if they massively upped its budget - which won't happen in a month of Sundays. Cut your losses, Beeb. Keep BBC4 instead.

BBC Three's budget was actually raised to £80 million , also the BBC can cut other services instead of BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC or CBeebies.....

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - UTVLifer - 01-04-2023

The main attraction for the reboot BBC Three has been RuPaul's Drag Race UK and all the other 156 different variations of it

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - tellyblues - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 09:11 AM)Milkshake Wrote:  The BBC has caused this whole mess and seem to think the kids will stay with us until 12, then float away but will somehow come back to them in the 20s? to watch BBC1? It's clear that not happening. So how do they fix this... its rather simple make some programmes.

And put them on BBC1/2. If the existing audience don't like it, tough. Just as it was for youngsters who didn't have anything to watch on the BBC after The Simpsons finished back in the day.

(01-04-2023, 02:28 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 01:54 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Will CBBC be saved if BBC4 is, though? I wonder if there would be a case for bringing forward the latter's start time to, say, 4pm or 5pm? There is certainly no shortage of content to fill the extra time. It could easily be spun as 'BBC4 was so popular that we're not only not closing it - we're extending its airtime'. 

BBC Three's budget was actually raised to £80 million , also the BBC can cut other services instead of BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC or CBeebies.....
Like what, Roger? The News Channel has been cut. BBC Parliament has effectively been axed (all that is on there now is the live feed of Parliament - no analysis or documentaries anymore). The World Service has been cut to the bone. What else is there for the BBC to cut?

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Roger Darthwell - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 03:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 02:28 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  BBC Three's budget was actually raised to £80 million , also the BBC can cut other services instead of BBC Three, BBC Four, CBBC or CBeebies.....
Like what, Roger? The News Channel has been cut. BBC Parliament has effectively been axed (all that is on there now is the live feed of Parliament - no analysis or documentaries anymore). The World Service has been cut to the bone. What else is there for the BBC to cut?

The BBC Scotland channel, BBC Radio Cymru 2, BBC One North, all of these surplus services that were not needed, these should be the first things to be cut, instead of national TV and Radio channels

(01-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 03:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Like what, Roger? The News Channel has been cut. BBC Parliament has effectively been axed (all that is on there now is the live feed of Parliament - no analysis or documentaries anymore). The World Service has been cut to the bone. What else is there for the BBC to cut?

The BBC Scotland channel, BBC Radio Cymru 2, BBC One North, all of these surplus services that were not needed, these should be the first things to be cut, instead of national TV and Radio channels
None of those services are particularly expensive, though. BBC Scotland is there largely for political reasons, and I believe much of its budget comes from money that was previously allocated to BBC One and Two Scotland (so money that was there anyway). BBC One North is there as a second stream; should anything happen to the London playout centre, transmission can be switched to Salford and BBC One North. Again, it costs next to no money as it just uses resources that are there anyway.