Pres Café
BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Industry News, Technology and Facilities (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure (/showthread.php?tid=406)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - DTV - 01-04-2023

Just for some context, here are the 2021/22 content budgets for BBC services as a proportion of their (inflation adjusted) 2011/12 budgets.

[Image: BBCBudgetCuts.png]
Obviously these figures are all proportional. In actual terms, BBC One accounts for 18% of the content-based cuts and BBC Two for 38%.

The problem, though, with looking at things station-by-station is that everybody's view of what is deserving is coloured by which services they use. But, given the sheer scale of the current round of cuts, I find it hard to argue that anything but the uncuttable services should be exempted - every station that can reasonably make cuts should take some of the burden or be prepared to be consolidated - BBC Four being possibly the easiest to fit into the latter category.

Though BBC Four did used to do unique things, it's hard to see what it does today that could not be easily done by other channels/services. Top of the Pops repeats, which seem to be the main selling point of the channel at this point, could easily fit on BBC Two Friday/Saturday evenings. Some other archive programming could be slotted into BBC Two daytime and weekend schedules, and wider archive programming and live music events would find a natural home on iPlayer.

CBBC, similarly, doesn't really need a full-time channel (which is currently by far the most expensive BBC service per user hour). A 'shop window' on weekday afternoons and weekend mornings on BBC Two would allow most original programming to be broadcast linearly, while saving money associated with an all-day channel.

Ultimately, consolidating CBBC and BBC Four into BBC Two and iPlayer would be a sensible decision and the BBC shouldn't reverse the closures. Not only are there clear savings, but BBC Two at present is a part-time husk that could do with some purpose outside evenings and the lunchtime politics hour. While I appreciate there is some sentiment in closing channels outright, I'd say that one stronger channel is better than three weaker ones.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Neil Jones - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 01:54 PM)Kojak Wrote:  As for BBC3 - let's face it, pre-2016, what was the main reason people watched that channel? Family Guy. Which is now doing the exact same job for ITV2 that it did for BBC3 (and isn't it funny? ITV couldn't wait to get their hands on that show once BBC3's closure was confirmed). That was the main hook for BBC3 - the 'gateway drug', if you like - that encouraged viewers to try its other programmes. Now it has nothing. Except 20-year-old Two Pints repeats. (If only the Beeb still had the rights to The Simpsons...)

Family Guy wasn't the be all and end all for BBC Three, it was a feeder output for content that was later promoted to the main networks and occasionally further beyond (the obvious example here is Russell Howard) with a few success stories of its own (Two Pints and Little Britain are the two obvious examples) and some Top Gear repeats. FG was quite often paired with American Dad on Three and it was a scheduling pattern that Fox (former FX) channel later copied.

Must of course be remembered Family Guy on BBC Three was BBC Two's cast off in the first place. Presume it was moved to free up the 10pm slot for... stuff. And then when BBC Three closed it was always going to lose it, with the budget cut it was a no brainer it was off to another network, though I believe they've since lost first air rights to Disney+. Not withstanding that it isn't as good as it used to be, the same of which could be said about a certain other animated show that's now in its 34th season...

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Milkshake - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 03:46 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(01-04-2023, 03:12 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  The BBC Scotland channel, BBC Radio Cymru 2, BBC One North, all of these surplus services that were not needed, these should be the first things to be cut, instead of national TV and Radio channels
None of those services are particularly expensive, though. BBC Scotland is there largely for political reasons, and I believe much of its budget comes from money that was previously allocated to BBC One and Two Scotland (so money that was there anyway). BBC One North is there as a second stream; should anything happen to the London playout centre, transmission can be switched to Salford and BBC One North. Again, it costs next to no money as it just uses resources that are there anyway.

And once more BBC - keeps on shotting its self in the foot. BBC Scotland is only around because it didnt want to make a programme the people wanted.. UNTIL the bbc starts making actul programme that public demands in the first place were going to keep getting nowwhere.

The Fact the BBC is so half arsed to keeping it's viewers and then expect people to come back home isnt going to cut the musterd anymore.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - tellyblues - 01-04-2023

Most Scots couldn't have cared less about a Scottish Six. That switching round the 6 o'clock news and Reporting Scotland would have pleased some people shows that it was an idea that shouldn't have been entertained.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Milkshake - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 09:59 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  Most Scots couldn't have cared less about a Scottish Six. That switching round the 6 o'clock news and Reporting Scotland would have pleased some people shows that it was an idea that shouldn't have been entertained.

That was never idea. IF that was the case then why go to all the trouble with BBC scotland.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - tellyblues - 01-04-2023

To be seen to be doing something for not that much extra cost. Most of the shows on BBC Scotland pre-exist the channel and already paid for.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - IanJRedman - 01-04-2023

(01-04-2023, 11:01 PM)cable Wrote:  The only reason to bring back BBC Three was that the EPG naming/numbering was off without it. The workaround to that is to rebrand BBC Four to something else.

I don't think that would be a key consideration, more likely that they didn't feel BBC Three was reaching its core audience online - even though we're all supposed to be heading online in the medium term...

But I did half expect them to rebrand BBC Four to something like BBC Arts at the time.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - Keith - 02-04-2023

I think when it comes to whether BBC Four and CBBC close as linear channels a lot depends upon the licence fee. It was previously frozen for two years, which is probably the cause of some of the cuts we've already experienced.

If I recall in April 2024 it is due to rise by inflation for 4 years. In the event that the current government or culture secretary change their mind and decide to either freeze it again or not increase by inflation then both BBC Four and CBBC will definitely close. Arguably a small above inflation increase is needed, given the real term cuts to it over the past decade.

One could suggest that by saying the fate of BBC Four has not been decided it's a way to ensure that the government keeps it's word.

Edit: For reference in 2010 the licence fee was £145.50. If it had increased with inflation each year according to the Bank of England's inflation calculator it would now be £207.38. By contrast it's currently only £159 (and a monochrome licence is £53.50).

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - CATV - 02-04-2023

If the licence fee is meant to be £207.38 but it's currently £159 then the difference is £48.38. It's between 25 and 26 million people that pay their tv licence. If you work on 25 and half million then the shortfall would be £1,209,500,000. And you wonder why so many people have left and the news channel and local radio shows are being axed. Criminal in my view. I'm not saying put the cost on the people but there must be something they can do. Tax breaks or something.

RE: BBC considers "U-turn" on BBC Four closure - chris - 02-04-2023

(02-04-2023, 06:06 PM)CATV Wrote:  If the licence fee is meant to be £207.38 but it's currently £159 then the difference is £48.38.  It's between 25 and 26 million people that pay their tv licence.  If you work on 25 and half million then the shortfall would be £1,209,500,000.  And you wonder why so many people have left and the news channel and local radio shows are being axed.  Criminal in my view.  I'm not saying put the cost on the people but there must be something they can do.  Tax breaks or something.

Commercially-funded broadcasting is produced on a fraction of the cost.