Pres Café
Coronation of King Charles III - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Coronation of King Charles III (/showthread.php?tid=420)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - XIII - 22-04-2023

(21-04-2023, 08:01 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  
(21-04-2023, 07:59 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is a certain irony given how often C4 and especially C5 do royal documentaries that they'll largely ignore it live.  I think C4 showed the Queens Coronation when she died so I wouldn't be surprised if that gets an outing again.

Channel 5 are way more obsessed with the royals than Channel 4 - just look at any Saturday prime time Channel 5 schedule, and it is usually cluttered with the usual rehashed documentaries about the royals (or about BBC sitcoms which seems to be another obsession they have)

I don't think you can programmes that rate well for a channel an obsession, it's a commercial business not a deranged fan.

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - Stooky Bill - 22-04-2023

(21-04-2023, 11:31 AM)thegeek Wrote:  I know there are other ways to deliver alternate audios - for example, the DVB spec allows for different language soundtracks (which again, you'd access through menus in your STB), but I'm not aware of any UK broadcaster using these, and they probably don't have an easy method to transmit audio that way.

The BBC (and S4C?) have used a red button MHEG/OpenTV selector for alternate commentaries, which certainly used to boot you off into an SD red button stream. I don't think ITV have ever done this before though.

Maybe they do have something up their sleeves, but as Brekkie said above, anyone who's previously done live AD has had to use another channel for it. None of this should detract from the fact that they're making the effort in the first place however - I'm pleased to see more broadcasters recognising its importance.
BBC Alba have dual language sport, but I'm not sure how that actually appears at home, maybe a MHEG prompt? 

My understanding is that either the BBC2 coronation coverage has both AD and BSL so presumably the AD can just be mixed into the commentary without the need for a seperate audio track.

Although however it's done technically, the biggest problem with live AD is knowing where the gaps in the commentary will be. I suspect it'll just be someone doing a more descriptive commentary

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - James2001 - 22-04-2023

S4C have dual language sport (and some other things like Eistedfodd) as well, though somewhat strangely the English commentary is always on the audio channel labelled as "Welsh" (and vice-versa).

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - Nobby - 22-04-2023

As I understand it, AD works differently on satellite and DTT.

On satellite, AD is a completely separate audio track which usually includes the original audio but could be anything. This is mixed by the broadcaster, so this could be used to provide an AD commentary without the original commentary being included.

On DTT, the AD is sent along with the original sound track and mixed by the set top box. This can't be used for live AD as there is no way for the box to eliminate the original commentary.

This is why, when live AD has been done in the past, it's used a completely separate channel.

I don't know how it works on Cable, or ITVX, BBC iPlayer or any of your new fangled devices.

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - dvboy - 22-04-2023

(19-04-2023, 05:11 PM)jlmiller Wrote:  
(18-04-2023, 01:46 AM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  What about Channel 5? I assume they'll also do something.

Well, as long as they aren’t showing The Emoji “Movie” like they during Elizabeth II’s funeral, they should be fine…

During the Coronation itself on Saturday daytime
Channel 4: Simpsons x2, the movie Aliens in the Attic at 9:15, 5 more episodes of Simpsons, live Formula E from Monaco at 13:30. The evening schedule is showing TBC but imagine that's where the aforementioned programmes will be.
Channel 5: Children's programmes, until 10:30, Friends x4, the movie Sing at 12:30. There doesn't seem to be any special programming later in the day.

Sky's Coronation coverage will be simulcast on Sky Showcase.

On BBC radio, only 3 and 4 have special programmes covering events. All of the other BBC networks seem to be doing their usual thing for a Saturday although there is a gap in 5 Live's schedule.
Radio 3 from 9:00 seems to be focused on the music from Westminster Abbey and is presented by Katie Derham.
Radio 4's coverage starts at 10:00.

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - JMT1985 - 22-04-2023

The coronation seems to be something which channels aren't going to treat the same as the funeral of the queen - it seems with the coronation, some broadcasters feel BBC One, ITV1 and Sky News will take the viewers who want to watch the coronation, so why should they waste time in airing the coronation for a trickle of viewers.

Interesting to see the coverage from the two ring wing so called news channels of GB News and Talk TV - I bet GB News will really try and bring full coverage, the actually did a fairly decent job when the queen died. Talk TV I have no idea, maybe they will simulcast with Fox News Channel.

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - JACKLUFC1998 - 22-04-2023

(22-04-2023, 05:46 PM)dvboy Wrote:  
(19-04-2023, 05:11 PM)jlmiller Wrote:  Well, as long as they aren’t showing The Emoji “Movie” like they during Elizabeth II’s funeral, they should be fine…

During the Coronation itself on Saturday daytime
Channel 4: Simpsons x2, the movie Aliens in the Attic at 9:15, 5 more episodes of Simpsons, live Formula E from Monaco at 13:30. The evening schedule is showing TBC but imagine that's where the aforementioned programmes will be.
Channel 5: Children's programmes, until 10:30, Friends x4, the movie Sing at 12:30. There doesn't seem to be any special programming later in the day.

Sky's Coronation coverage will be simulcast on Sky Showcase.

On BBC radio, only 3 and 4 have special programmes covering events. All of the other BBC networks seem to be doing their usual thing for a Saturday although there is a gap in 5 Live's schedule.
Radio 3 from 9:00 seems to be focused on the music from Westminster Abbey and is presented by Katie Derham.
Radio 4's coverage starts at 10:00.

Thanks, for both channels you'd expect they will still cover it in their respective news bulletins that day though.

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - JACKLUFC1998 - 25-04-2023

In the US, ABC has announced that there will be a special edition of Good Morning America for the coronation, that will be shown from 5am ET until 10am ET on the day of the event. CBS and NBC still haven't revealed their coverage plans yet though.

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - Omnipresent - 26-04-2023

BBC1 & BBC2’s schedules for the Coronation have been loaded.

Coverage runs from 07:30 to 15:00.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl6p/2023/05/06 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl97/2023/05/06 

RE: Coronation of King Charles III - Brekkie - 26-04-2023

Another Gills San logo that lingers on. Suspect all the money and stamps will change to Charles before the BBC updates it logo everywhere.