Pres Café
BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? (/showthread.php?tid=471)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - cando - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 08:17 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  It just feels like Davie’s latest idea to promote the regions, and at the same time perhaps vacate Studio E ready for a refurbishment (although there is no technical reason why they cannot use B at NBH for the News at One).

The idea that Tim Davie micro manages stuff like this is ridiculous

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - cando - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 06:30 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  It wouldn't have used the One Show studio as that wasn't originally going to be a studio.
Iitc that was originally going to be a BBC merchandise shop

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - interestednovice - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 12:15 PM)cando Wrote:  The idea that Tim Davie micro manages stuff like this is ridiculous
I think he does, actually, as the nations and regions decisions are taken to be strategic. At the very least, it would come from “the top” of BBC News and Turness would have to sign it off. I would expect it to have been run by him, even then.

After all, we know he was in Washington to oversee rehearsals of the new BBC NC overnights. It’s exactly the sort of thing he does micromanage.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Rijowhi - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 07:56 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I’d argue that ABC being very decentralised reflects Australia in general.

While Canberra is the capital city, Sydney is the most significant media base for most broadcasters. Australia in general has the vast majority of the population concentrated in/around 5 major cities across the country. It also has several time zones. Catering to all of this means it may make sense to make extensive use of bases across the country.

News in Australia is also very different, generally. The country is quite parochial. Apart from most having a bit of interest in British affairs, due to our long historical connections, most Australians really don’t care very much about international news. In fact, they primarily care about regional/local news and this gets higher viewing figures than national news programmes. Their “news diet” is therefore different and the way ABC produce news reflects that.

I’d argue we are in the opposite position. The country is physically, geographically small so is only one time zone. London is a traditional capital city, where pretty much every company would have it’s UK HQ. Other news, whether political, the arts or whatever, really tends to originate from London. It therefore makes huge sense to have a centralised news department there.

Salford should have a basic North West Tonight/Today operation like every other region, at low cost. Breakfast should come from London, and the News at One should also. The idea of having part of the same team produce both is more an argument for Breakfast to return to London than for the One to move to Salford.

Why is having things randomly not in London regarded as a “Good Thing” when it creates inefficiencies, costs more and results in little difference to the viewer (often arguably a downgrade)?

In fact, at a time of such cuts in news at the BBC, cuts which are severely affecting the quality of output, how can such extravagance possibly be justified?

I think when it comes to News you make a great point. As the UK’s Capital (a small Country), London seems like the right place for National News to come from with Regional News (Nation News in Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland’s case) coming from Regional Studios as per ITV’s model. Despite all the cuts over the years, ITV’s set up just seems much more natural than the BBC’s. The BBC ❤️ to waste OUR money though…

However I do think other types of programming must come from throughout the UK to show our wares to both a Regional/National and International audience.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - interestednovice - 06-06-2023

I agree.

I’m not saying we should weaken the focus on the nations or regions at all, and they have their place in providing comprehensive separate bulletins, but there is absolutely no need for the national news to come from a regional base.

It’s far more logical, in my view, to have national news from London instead.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Andrew - 06-06-2023

Surely all this just adds yet more uncertainty for people in front of and behind the camera who work for BBC News

They’ve only just got through the changes when the news channel was axed, now there will be people who predominantly work on the One who will be seeing their roles either being discontinued or moved to Salford

The Beeb need to stop moving stuff up and down the country at a whim - remember they’ve only recent moved Newsbeat to Birmingham which resulted in most of the team leaving

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Jimbo2022 - 06-06-2023

May have already been said so sorry if it has, but at 0600 there is no continuity announcer on bbc1 - or very rarely.

Breakfast goes straight into Morning Live usually so again no need for announcer 

They could effectively have the first continuity link before 1100 weekdays, knocking a potential 5-6 hours off acshuft - a quarter of a whole day.

The shifts normally run 10-1, 1345-2999, 1900-2300 (North), and 1900-end of day.

It would certainly save the BBC a lot if money in real terms

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - LondonViewer - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 02:48 PM)Rijowhi Wrote:  I think when it comes to News you make a great point.  As the UK’s Capital (a small Country), London seems like the right place for National News to come from with Regional News (Nation News in Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland’s case) coming from Regional Studios as per ITV’s model.  Despite all the cuts over the years, ITV’s set up just seems much more natural than the BBC’s.  The BBC ❤️ to waste OUR money though…

However I do think other types of programming must come from throughout the UK to show our wares to both a Regional/National and International audience.

The UK is not a small country and there are loads of smaller countries that have more comprehensive local/regional set ups. 
The idea that everything must come from London is a very UK mindset and explains the differences you see throughout Europe/World where business activity is less concentrated around the capitals and more evenly distributed amongst the wider city regions.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Andrew - 06-06-2023

Jimbo2022 Wrote:May have already been said so sorry if it has, but at 0600 there is no continuity announcer on bbc1 - or very rarely.

Breakfast goes straight into Morning Live usually so again no need for announcer 

They could effectively have the first continuity link before 1100 weekdays, knocking a potential 5-6 hours off acshuft - a quarter of a whole day.

The shifts normally run 10-1, 1345-2999, 1900-2300 (North), and 1900-end of day.

It would certainly save the BBC a lot if money in real terms

The question is, is there an announcer on shift even when they aren’t on air? If Breakfast or Morning Live fell off air would someone be able to apologise? Or would they just use the announcer on shift on BBC Two

I’m surprised they have 3 announcing shifts, ITV only had two way back into the days of the regions, although I suppose it was different for them as they’d only have to cover from 9:25 and only until whatever time the nighttime service kicked in.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - ViridianFan - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 07:56 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Salford should have a basic North West Tonight/Today operation like every other region, at low cost. Breakfast should come from London, and the News at One should also. The idea of having part of the same team produce both is more an argument for Breakfast to return to London than for the One to move to Salford.

Why is having things randomly not in London regarded as a “Good Thing” when it creates inefficiencies, costs more and results in little difference to the viewer (often arguably a downgrade)?

In fact, at a time of such cuts in news at the BBC, cuts which are severely affecting the quality of output, how can such extravagance possibly be justified?
I couldnt agree with you more about breakfast should return to London. I always thought it made sense when they had breakfast, 1, 6 and 10 sharing the one studio. It’s seems such a waste having spent all that money on studio B and it’s only used for the 6 and 10 daily, Laura K on a Sunday  and then those leader interviews and election night (unless I’ve missed anything). You’d think they’d want to get as much use out of it as possible.  

I too don’t see what benefit I get as a viewer from it being in Salford as i do London. It’s not like it’s suddenly presented with regional accents and no anyone is absent they send a presenter up from London anyway. 

I will admit though that I am one of those who equally doesn’t see the fascination of sending the lead presenter to stand outside Downing Street or Westminster or wherever for a story. 9/10 they will only interview the political editor and it doesn’t add anything to the story telling. You then end up with sirens in the back ground. If thwybreally want to stand in front of the Palace of Westminster then use the curved catwalk as they did when Hew was showing off studio B .