BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension?

This would certainly be an interesting move

twitter.com 
[-] The following 15 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, Jayesyn, LDN, Milkshake, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Reith85, Spencer, Stuart, Superman1986, Worzel

That's worthy of a new thread surely separate from the day to day discussion which at the moment mainly focuses on the news channel - though considering the News at One has been a production of the news channel in recent years this move does feel like an admission of what we all know - the UK news channel no longer exists.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, LDN, Newsroom, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Studio7, Superman1986

(02-06-2023, 08:07 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  This would certainly be an interesting move

twitter.com 

Well it would certainly make use of a set that is designed more like their newest national news set.
[-] The following 9 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Former Member 406, Jayesyn, Jeff, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(02-06-2023, 08:07 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  This would certainly be an interesting move
Wouldn't be that surprising - once you've already got the infrastructure and production teams in place, extending the news is pretty much as close to free television as you can get. If they go down this route, it would easily allow them to reduce their daytime commissioning and Breakfast to 09:30 isn't without precedent (happened for several months in 2004 after Kilroy was axed). An hour-long News at One would also allow them to 'make up' for the slight reduction in UK content on the News channel and, if there were any remaining gaps in the daytime schedule, the team could surely add in a short mid-afternoon bulletin. 

Would also be nice to see the One get its own format back, often feels a bit like a rehearsal for the Six these days. Indeed, if they ever went down the merging the Ten and Newsnight route, having three 'newshours' with different focuses would be quite a smart way of doing things - something like, 'the latest on stories across the UK' at One, 'the stories that matter to you' at Six and 'reporting and analysis on the main UK and world news' at Ten.

Moving it to Salford is a bit of a curveball, though I'd assume it'd come from the new Breakfast/Sport newsroom set - which'd be nice. And definitely better to have an out of London news bulletin in a proper studio than milling around on some rooftop or standing in the middle of an empty, colourless atrium.
[-] The following 11 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Former Member 406, Jeff, Plutobug, Quantum+83, seenee, Stuart, Studio7, Superman1986, xlalonce

DTV Wrote:Wouldn't be that surprising - once you've already got the infrastructure and production teams in place, extending the news is pretty much as close to free television as you can get. If they go down this route, it would easily allow them to reduce their daytime commissioning and Breakfast to 09:30 isn't without precedent (happened for several months in 2004 after Kilroy was axed). An hour-long News at One would also allow them to 'make up' for the slight reduction in UK content on the News channel and, if there were any remaining gaps in the daytime schedule, the team could surely add in a short mid-afternoon bulletin.  Moving it to Salford is a bit of a curveball, though I'd assume it'd come from the new Breakfast/Sport newsroom set - which'd be nice.
I’d be surprised if they didn’t extend Morning Live as well whilst they’re at it, taking advantage of This Morning’s woes. Extending both would allow them to drop a slot occupied by another programme (or programmes).
[-] The following 11 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, DavidV, Jayesyn, Jeff, Nige, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, TJTSW, UTVLifer

Personally I'm not sure what the benefit of extending Breakfast to 9.30am would really be.  On the BBC News (channel) and BBC Two currently a simulcast of 5Live commences at 9am.  Therefore 'UK only' content is already being shown on the News channel, so it wouldn't make any difference to any quotas.

The only benefit in doing this would be **IF** they were considering axing the 5Live simulcast on the News channel, but perhaps retaining it for BBC Two.  In that case extending Breakfast until 9.30am would make sense to retain some 'UK only' hours.  Arguably this would provide an improvement for UK viewers.

I'd have thought though there might be a case for doing the opposite and reducing Breakfast's hours so that it finishes at 9am on weekdays, and extending Morning Live to an hour time slot.  I'm guessing they may be looking at ways to cut costs, by reducing the amount of daytime TV programmes shown.

With regards to extending the News at One I'd imagine that they'd look at 1-1.45pm national news.  Then from 1.45pm having the nations/regions news on BBC One and a sports bulletin on the news channel.  I guess since the news channels were merged it's become more noticeable there only being a half hour UK focused bulletin before returning to joint coverage from studio C.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 6 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, DavidV, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell

(02-06-2023, 09:58 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I’d be surprised if they didn’t extend Morning Live as well whilst they’re at it, taking advantage of This Morning’s woes. Extending both would allow them to drop a slot occupied by another programme (or programmes).
Absolutely, morning it's quite easy to see how you can cut a slot out or two and extending Breakfast and Morning Live is a very cheap way of doing that. Afternoon is where it's trickier to know how any alterations would work. At the minute, it's all (other than Doctors) 45' programmes, though obviously a few of those shows have different alt lengths that could presumably be made the norm. I suppose it depends on whether the extended hour-long News at One refers to just the national news bit or includes the regional news. Though, as I said, a short 15-minute mid-afternoon bulletin could plug any gaps in the schedule, again at little extra cost.

(02-06-2023, 10:14 AM)Keith Wrote:  Personally I'm not sure what the benefit of extending Breakfast to 9.30am would really be.  On the BBC News (channel) and BBC Two currently a simulcast of 5Live commences at 9am.  Therefore 'UK only' content is already being shown on the News channel, so it wouldn't make any difference to any quotas.
It's not really about benefits to the News channel, but benefits to BBC One. Extending these news programmes (and possibly Morning Live as well) allows them to cut out other daytime slots and reduce the overall daytime commissioning budget, while also not upping the amount of repeats (actually increasing the number of original minutes). At a time of severe BBC budget cuts and the associated recalibration towards online-first, daytime is a bit of an issue as it is a sizeable portion of BBC One's programming budget, but with limited streaming value. This ensures that daytime TV can continue relatively unscathed, but meeting budget cuts.
[-] The following 10 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, AverageOrangeTurnip, bkman1990, DavidV, Former Member 406, Jeff, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Reith85, UTVLifer

This probably explains why, as you yourself suggested @DTV, they didn’t bother keeping the One team on in the afternoons for the news channel. Why go to the trouble of doing that when it’s potentially only going to be for the short term?

Moving the One to Salford is a smart move as it presumably will use the same camera, lighting, sound etc operators from either Breakfast or Morning Live who've been paid for a full day's work but have little to do once the show's over.

This is why for example C5 awarded The Wright Stuff to ITN as they could use the same crew as 5 News. When it was made by Princess it was incredibly inefficient as they had to pay their crew for a full day even though the show was over before half the day had passed! They'd either go home or work on the occasional development project but from the channel's point of view it was essentially money down the drain.
[-] The following 7 users Like gottago's post:
  • bkman1990, Plutobug, Quantum+83, Rijowhi, Studio7, Superman1986, UTVLifer