Pres Café
BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? (/showthread.php?tid=471)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - m_in_m - 06-06-2023

Most recently Nina has provided a lot of the cover on Breakfast so they haven't been sending someone up from London.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Brekkie - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 06:10 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  May have already been said so sorry if it has, but at 0600 there is no continuity announcer on bbc1 - or very rarely.

Breakfast goes straight into Morning Live usually so again no need for announcer 

They could effectively have the first continuity link before 1100 weekdays, knocking a potential 5-6 hours off acshuft - a quarter of a whole day.

The shifts normally run 10-1, 1345-2999, 1900-2300 (North), and 1900-end of day.

It would certainly save the BBC a lot if money in real terms
Probably not much if they're now wasting money on a Northern continuity announcer, who apart from making the odd reference really sounds no different to before when England had the same continuity nationwide.   I doubt it's made a bit of difference to how much BBC1 is watched in the North.

I do think there is logic in Breakfast and the One being under the same team considering the news channel has now all but gone, and if all were still down in London we wouldn't bat an eyelid at them sharing editors or reporters for example, or even presenters occassionally. I agree with Andrew though this constant closure of posts in London and relocating must be really tiresome for the staff, and it rarely has any impact on the viewers at home. Indeed we're getting to the point now where they'll be concerned about the BBC reaching Londoners with so much up in Salford.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - AndrewP - 06-06-2023

"This is London"...

Ever since the World Service business department were moved out of London, sometimes the presenter proudly proclaims that it's "Live from Media City in Salford". Doesn't seem to hold quite the same gravitas as London..

Whilst some voices in certain regions want there a greater emphasis on other parts of the UK, the fact of the matter is that in many ways London is the UK. Granted, other regions probably do have stories that are worthy of being on the national news.

But if they do move the One, the likelihood is that what's been said and done in London will still dominate the domestic side of bulletins over the news from other regions, regardless of where the bulletin is. In this way I can't see how this serves anyone better.

Moving departments willy-nilly isn't a good direction either.
I believe the move of the Tech dept to Glasgow was one of the reasons Rory Cellan-Jones left.
London, Cambridge, the Thames Valley are the main technological "hubs" in the UK.
Why, then, the move to Glasgow?
How is reporting on technological innovations from there instead of London better serving the country?

How much more talent and expertise will the BBC lose if they keep acting in this haphazard fashion?

I do feel for the staff still at the BBC. They can't seem to be able to catch a break at the moment.
Whilst on-screen the quality of programmes seem to be declining

I don't know if this is something being done already but I think a newsier "Countryfile" style programme would better serve the nations and regions more, perhaps around the evening news on One on a Saturday.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Stooky Bill - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 06:10 PM)Jimbo2022 Wrote:  May have already been said so sorry if it has, but at 0600 there is no continuity announcer on bbc1 - or very rarely.

Breakfast goes straight into Morning Live usually so again no need for announcer 

They could effectively have the first continuity link before 1100 weekdays, knocking a potential 5-6 hours off acshuft - a quarter of a whole day.

The shifts normally run 10-1, 1345-2999, 1900-2300 (North), and 1900-end of day.

It would certainly save the BBC a lot if money in real terms
There's a few issues with that. Firstly you can't just reduce a shift by 5-6 hours - they're full time x number of hours a week. Imagine if your employer reduced your shifts down by 5 hours but said you have to come in more often.

Secondly Morning Live isn't a permanent fixture in that slot 

Thirdly the announcers don't just sit there doing nothing from 6am to 10am

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Stooky Bill - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 08:17 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I don’t think Breakfast and lunchtime naturally go together at all.

It just feels like Davie’s latest idea to promote the regions, and at the same time perhaps vacate Studio E ready for a refurbishment (although there is no technical reason why they cannot use B at NBH for the News at One).
It seems it's to do with the reductions in the news channel - whereas NC staff used to work on the One there now aren't any. The idea is to take the spare production capacity from those in Salford

It's an interesting idea, might make the One more daytimey and give it a different style to the evening bulletins

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - markhamblett - 06-06-2023

Evening! So… in all my years here and over at the other place/s, I’ve never worked out how to post pictures 🤦🏼‍♂️

So instead… have a look what I’ve spotted on Twitter this evening - not purple like has been mentioned at all, unless of course it’s not ALL being revealed quite yet. Looks like rehearsals in the new place are underway though 👀 have a look at the pics posted tonight by @jfreeman_93

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Brekkie - 06-06-2023

Just the url should link to the tweet - the second picture here.

https://twitter.com/jfreeman_93/status/1666084504837181440 

For me though smaller this does look a better set - just having a bid of glass around it opening it up rather than it just being a box of screens makes the difference.

Only thing it raises which I don't think has been mentioned is unless they switch it out for the desk each day is would a One o'clock News from Salford be a sofa based bulletin?

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - markhamblett - 06-06-2023

Thanks Brekkie, appreciate that!!

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - Moz - 06-06-2023

(06-06-2023, 09:21 PM)markhamblett Wrote:  Evening! So… in all my years here and over at the other place/s, I’ve never worked out how to post pictures 🤦🏼‍♂️

So instead… have a look what I’ve spotted on Twitter this evening - not purple like has been mentioned at all, unless of course it’s not ALL being revealed quite yet. Looks like rehearsals in the new place are underway though 👀 have a look at the pics posted tonight by @jfreeman_93

Here you go…

Looks like there *is* a bit of purple in the gradient - just like BBC One goes a bit pink.

RE: BBC Breakfast/BBC News at One Extension? - DTV - 06-06-2023

Frankly, looks bloody gorgeous.

Can't wait to see it on air, really bodes well for any future Studio E revamp and, my god, think how good B would look for network bulletins with a splash of colour. With so much lacking from BBC News at the minute, how nice it is to see something positive - not just a great set in its own right, but the first at least decent one for Breakfast in at least fifteen years.

My single asterisk would be that I'm a little worried about that lighting balance between the backdrop LED wall and the sofa area - background looks a bit bright.