Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Worzel - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 07:31 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  I didn’t know they’d signed up Sting to be a reporter.
Sting was part of the sting, which was blue and used by The Police.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - kookaburra - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 08:03 AM)mark Wrote:  I agree. I switched on this morning midway through a lengthy discussion on - and this is just a guess as it was hard to tell exactly what the story was - the state of school buildings. It felt better suited to something like Newsnight that you can give your undivided attention to, rather than 'background' breakfast TV.

Compared to the warmth and bite-size segments of the US morning shows, it definitely feels dry to me and not my (morning) cup of tea. 

It's not just Breakfast - I do think length and tone of segments is an issue for UK breakfast TV in general. For example, the long and confrontational political interviews and debates on Good Morning Britain. 

I appreciate this is all just my personal preference though and there's clearly a market for this kind of content.

The content is both too slow and fluffy. Today Programme gets the pacing right.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - freeview87 - 28-06-2023

If you watch an episode of GMTV from the 00s things were definitely pacier. Even the political interviews were shorter which meant presenter didn't spend 2 mins asking a question, which it feels like some do.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Spencer - 28-06-2023

It seems that the section of Breakfast between the weather at about 8.10 and the Morning Live preview at 8.28ish is dedicated to just one story every morning.

Today it was about a charity song for Parkinson’s, and yesterday it was about a charity song for dementia. A couple of days I watched last week, they covered a charity swim, and a feature about dementia. The repetition of similar topics aside, what on earth are they doing dedicating over a quarter of an hour to one single topic at peak breakfast viewing time?

Surely the point of a breakfast TV programme, which by its nature people dip in and out of, is to give you a briefing for the day and let you know what’s going on in the world in an accessible, bite-sized way. A great long chunk on one story like this is ridiculous.

I’d possibly forgive them for having longer pieces after 9, when you’d expect the pace to have slowed a bit. Even so, 15 minutes plus on one topic would seem excessive on any magazine programme.

Still, at least they’ve kept a short title sequence – gotta keep that pace up.  Confused

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - BN88 - 28-06-2023

Agree with many here on the pacing, but I do wonder whether this is part of the wider cuts in news...and simply having fewer items is a consequence of that? Fewer briefings required etc...

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - harshy - 28-06-2023

This is why breakfast along with Nicky Campbell shouldn’t be simulcast on the news channel at least there should be the choice of world news but we don’t even get that because that’s definitely pacier then breakfast

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Spencer - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 10:41 AM)BN88 Wrote:  Agree with many here on the pacing, but I do wonder whether this is part of the wider cuts in news...and simply having fewer items is a consequence of that? Fewer briefings required etc...
That thought had crossed my mind, but if so, they’d be better to repeat or re-do sections from earlier in the programme – hardly anyone watches for more than an hour, so few would notice, and they’d get more value out of what they do.

They could also use more reports from the nations and regions, as they do at the weekend, to add extra content.

Just padding everything out for as long as possible is poor, and frankly makes the programme a bore.

I know people on here say it’s a winning format, so why change it? But to me, that’s a complacent attitude, and nothing ever improves that way.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - agentsquash - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 11:17 AM)harshy Wrote:  This is why breakfast along with Nicky Campbell shouldn’t be simulcast on the news channel at least there should be the choice of world news but we don’t even get that because that’s definitely pacier then breakfast

Breakfast on the Channel is BSL signed. You're not saying the BBC should reduce accessibility in the name of pace?

harshy - harshy - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 11:22 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  Breakfast on the Channel is BSL signed. You're not saying the BBC should reduce accessibility in the name of pace?

Is Nicky Campbell signed it isn’t that needs to go and the bbc need to come up with a way to give choice and provide provisioning for BSL viewers, I suggest they drop the last hour of breakfast as it’s all nambi Pambi stories suitable for bbc one.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - freeview87 - 28-06-2023

BSL option on News Channel is a take it or leave it from BBC. If the NC opts for rolling coverage, live event then you get that SL in the designated slot. BBC should be offering at least one bespoke SL news programme a day.