Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - DTV - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 10:41 AM)BN88 Wrote:  Agree with many here on the pacing, but I do wonder whether this is part of the wider cuts in news...and simply having fewer items is a consequence of that? Fewer briefings required etc...
Cuts are certainly a factor - fewer journalists obviously means fewer reports (though there are cheaper ways of producing them, and doing news summaries or in brief segments are fairly cheap) - but there are also editorial reasons that the pace has slowed across BBC News - particularly the greater emphasis on providing 'analysis' across the board, which does tend to drag out every story. Then there's the issue of interviews with external contributors - which plays into both editorial reasons (there clearly being a desire to get somebody's take on every story) and cuts (wanting to get your money out of their appearance fee) - leading to more and longer interviews.

While I'm not particularly a fan of the slowed pace, I can see a justification for it some of the time, but the problem with BBC News output is that it is this lethargic pace nearly all day now - with the network bulletins pretty much the only news programming that doesn't unnecessarily drag. In my view, if you're going to do slow and 'in depth' for the bulk of the schedule, it'd be better to do proper 3-5 minute news summaries at the TOTH and BOTH - so at least you've actually delivered the news before leaping into 'analysing' two or three stories for the rest of the 30 minutes.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - cando - 28-06-2023

https://twitter.com/BBCFrediani/status/1673617330650087426 

I think the people who actually make Brealfast knew what their audience wants.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - cando - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 08:03 AM)mark Wrote:  Compared to the warmth and bite-size segments of the US morning shows, it definitely feels dry to me and not my (morning) cup of tea. 

It's not just Breakfast - I do think length and tone of segments is an issue for UK breakfast TV in general. For example, the long and confrontational political interviews and debates on Good Morning Britain. 

I appreciate this is all just my personal preference though and there's clearly a market for this kind of content.

Well since GMB became less American and introduced more culture war debates it has increased its ratings.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Alessi - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 12:13 PM)cando Wrote:  Well since GMB became less American and introduced more culture war debates it has increased its ratings.

I'd argue that the introduction of culture war debates makes it MORE American.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - freeview87 - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 01:36 PM)Alessi Wrote:  I'd argue that the introduction of culture war debates makes it MORE American.

Unless anything has changed in the past week you don't get those tacky debates on Today, GMA or CBS Mornings. I don't think I've ever seen two nobodies fighting over whether we should sink boats or whatever.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - DavidWhitfield - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 01:43 PM)freeview87 Wrote:  Unless anything has changed in the past week you don't get those tacky debates on Today, GMA or CBS Mornings. I don't think I've ever seen two nobodies fighting over whether we should sink boats or whatever.

"Nobodies"?!
I'll have you know that some of these people appeared on The Apprentice!

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - CNN1992 - 28-06-2023

I'm a U.S.viewer here, and haven't ever watched any clips of Morning Live, but is there any chance Breakfast doesn't do a lot of the segments that routinely could be found on any morning of a U.S. breakfast show because those can already be found on Morning Live?  

One of the previous posts is spot-on; network morning shows here steer clear of any shoutfests or arguments.  I'm mostly a Today Show viewer simply out of habit and I know 365 days a year I will get the top stories and weather from 7 to 7:20 and be good.  Is it the most in-depth reporting? No, but I'm also not looking for that when getting ready for work.  The rest of the show is full of longer segments that might dip into news analysis and fluff I might not be interested in but I also don't watch it for 4 hours a day either. Lots of resources are also devoted to these shows because of their profitability so it isn't a fair comparison.

Resources could have a lot to do with the spacing of segments and lower story count on Breakfast but it also seems to me that it would be a tough balancing act to serve as a flagship morning show and news channel morning news block.  CNN U.S. has tried every morning format known and my preference is still the 1990s up to pre-Sept 11 formats of high story count, no debates, live reports and a little banter.  Times and tastes have changed and people don't want or need that anymore but it still has its place on U.S. breakfast T.V.

harshy - harshy - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 12:10 PM)cando Wrote:  https://twitter.com/BBCFrediani/status/1673617330650087426 

I think the people who actually make Brealfast knew what their audience wants.

It’s probably high because most people default to 101/lose their remote and leave it on in the background whilst rushing around and getting the kids ready go to school.

RE: harshy - Andrew - 28-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 06:14 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s probably high because most people default to 101/lose their remote and leave it on in the background whilst rushing around and getting the kids ready go to school.
I bet if you asked people when they arrived at work what they saw on Breakfast that morning many wouldn’t remember

I expect many wouldn’t say ‘I really liked that long winded 15 minute item, had it been 3 five minute items I would have switched off’

In my opinion, content and pacing wise neither of the main two are at their peak - Breakfast always just falls back on its ratings and doesn’t ever do anything different, and GMB still thinks it’s in the Piers Morgan format with them desperate for viral moments with confrontational interviews

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - itsrobert - 28-06-2023

My favourite breakfast TV these days is Kay Burley on Sky News. Granted, she's an acquired taste, but for the 30 minutes I watch, it's well paced, covering plenty of items, the weather as well as an interrogative interview with a politician. I feel I get more out of Sky News than I would on the BBC or ITV. The other bonus is that Kay's approach is no-nonsense so you don't have to sit through loads of cringeworthy "banter".