Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 29-06-2023

(28-06-2023, 09:40 PM)Stuart Wrote:  On what are you basing that suspicion? You haven't provided any demographics for your perceived audience of BBC Breakfast, but I'd be interested to see it.
It's a suspicion rather than fact based on BBC1 generally trending older - although a mistake on my part thinking people in their mid-60s might be retired.

Anyhow, this revamp seems to have bought out the critics over the last couple of days - seen very little criticism of the shows content over the years but now it has a new look which finally makes it feel fresh, modern and flagship it seems everything else is wrong with it.   I though good branding usually papered over such cracks but perhaps the opposite is true - if the branding is strong you begin looking at other weaknesses.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - mark - 29-06-2023

I'm guilty of being one of those closet critics. For what it's worth, it's purely because I hardly ever watch Breakfast and have only really been watching this week to see the revamp.

The new studio is a vast improvement and, while the long and sombre discussions aren't for me, the 5 minutes I've been watching this morning are much better than what I saw yesterday. A much nicer feel and pace - I caught the weather, a heart-warming interview with a young tennis player that could have been straight off the Today show, a preview of an item coming up after 8, the regional news and the headlines.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Rolling News - 29-06-2023

First time I’ve seen Charlie Stayt standing in a studio since his days at 5 News.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Spencer - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 06:21 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Anyhow, this revamp seems to have bought out the critics over the last couple of days - seen very little criticism of the shows content over the years but now it has a new look which finally makes it feel fresh, modern and flagship it seems everything else is wrong with it.   I though good branding usually papered over such cracks but perhaps the opposite is true - if the branding is strong you begin looking at other weaknesses.
As Mark says, a lot of us who don’t watch Breakfast very often have been watching rather more closely over the past week because of the revamp, so opinions on the format of the show are obviously going to surface at this time.

I also think it’s wrong to say there’s been little criticism over the years. I’ve certainly seen comments on this forum’s predecessors over the years about how dry and slow the programme is. With a renewed focus on Breakfast at this point, it’s inevitable the point is going to be debated with greater intensity.

I take your point though, that a bright, fresh look does create a sharp contrast with a plodding, stodgy, tired format.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 29-06-2023

Yes, fair comment to say many of us probably don't watch it regularly but have done this week so are judging with fresh eyes.

The sad fact now is that Breakfast is the only time now BBC News provides full hours of general news content targetted at a UK audience and does a better job of providing a round up of the main headlines and some longer features (even if too long) than the news channel itself.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - harshy - 29-06-2023

Definitely the best studio Breakfast has had there’s no doubt there, only thing I don’t like is the dark office outside it which shows through on one shot, which is in contrast to the very bright backdrop that breakfast has.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Spencer - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 09:00 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, fair comment to say many of us probably don't watch it regularly but have done this week so are judging with fresh eyes.   

The sad fact now is that Breakfast is the only time now BBC News provides full hours of general news content targetted at a UK audience and does a better job of providing a round up of the main headlines and some longer features (even if too long) than the news channel itself.
I could see ‘Better than the News Channel’ becoming the new ‘Better than Oneness’ on here. Wink

To be clear though, I’m not saying everything about the format is wrong. I think the choice of content is about right for its audience. It just needs tightening up and a bit of pace adding to it to make it feel more bright and breezy. And I believe, if you’re creative about how you do that, it can be achieved without significant extra cost or resources.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - chris - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 09:11 AM)harshy Wrote:  Definitely the best studio Breakfast has had there’s no doubt there, only thing I don’t like is the dark office outside it which shows through on one shot, which is in contrast to the very bright backdrop that breakfast has.

Yes I think they could do with lighting the office a bit better, as they did with the newsroom at Broadcasting House.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Scratch_Perry - 29-06-2023

(29-06-2023, 08:25 AM)Rolling News Wrote:  First time I’ve seen Charlie Stayt standing in a studio since his days at 5 News.
Not just standing, wearing glasses as well Smile.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Stuart - 30-06-2023

I notice that Thursday night must've been Matt Taylor's turn to have a free night in the hotel next to MediaCity in Salford, as he's needlessly in the studio presenting the weather today.

He was in some PR shots for the new set, so it's not as though he hasn't seen it before.

I suspect that means we'll have recorded weather forecasts again from Salford until about 1pm on the News Channel.