Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Stuart - 21-07-2023

(20-07-2023, 09:38 PM)KatsKaravan Wrote:  It begs the question, why did they change the logo in the first place? The old one was fine.
The reason was that in the long term, using a logo which has your own font is cheaper than licensing the commercial use of Gill Sans.

Yes, the old logo was fine, which is why the difference is barely susceptible to many people. They took the opportunity to change all the surrounding pres, which hopefully most people have noticed, not just us geeks.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - ViridianFan - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 01:01 AM)Stuart Wrote:  The reason was that in the long term, using a logo which has your own font is cheaper than licensing the commercial use of Gill Sans.

Yes, the old logo was fine, which is why the difference is barely susceptible to many people. They took the opportunity to change all the surrounding pres, which hopefully most people have noticed, not just us geeks.

Some of us had being discussed in the chameleon thread. The BBC held the rights to the logo and the letters were a modified form of Gill Sans so it isn’t be cheaper.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Spencer - 21-07-2023

My problem with the new logo is that objectively, from a design point of view, it’s a worse logo. It works less well when scaled down, the visual alignment of the Bs is poor making them look too far to the left, and the wider gaps between the blocks no longer complement the weight of the strokes of the letters.

Looking back at the Gill Sans logo, it just feels so much better designed, coherent, and sophisticated, and it’s clear a lot more thought went into it.

I’m not some kind of change resistant Luddite who looks at the past with rose tinted specs. I welcome change, but only if it’s change for the better, and this really isn’t. But hey, we are where we are, so I should probably try and get over it.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Mike - 21-07-2023

Without repeating other discussion; 1) the blocks were never due to change 2) ML-N said before he died that he modified the glyphs within the blocks to add a line to make it sit better on screen and reduce better than the 1987 logo.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 09:11 AM)Spencer Wrote:  My problem with the new logo is that objectively, from a design point of view, it’s a worse logo. It works less well when scaled down, the visual alignment of the Bs is poor making them look too far to the left, and the wider gaps between the blocks no longer complement the weight of the strokes of the letters.

Looking back at the Gill Sans logo, it just feels so much better designed, coherent, and sophisticated, and it’s clear a lot more thought went into it.

I’m not some kind of change resistant Luddite who looks at the past with rose tinted specs. I welcome change, but only if it’s change for the better, and this really isn’t. But hey, we are where we are, so I should probably try and get over it.
Hated the new one at first but now we're used to it to me the Gills Sans version looks worse and worse everytime I see it.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Roger Darthwell - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 01:01 AM)Stuart Wrote:  The reason was that in the long term, using a logo which has your own font is cheaper than licensing the commercial use of Gill Sans.

It really makes me wonder how much money the BBC has actually saved with all of this endeavour......but I digress

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Moz - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 10:16 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Hated the new one at first but now we're used to it to me the Gills Sans version looks worse and worse everytime I see it.

The old one just looks terrible now. The blocks are far too close together and the letters don't have enough space round them. The entire thing looks just crammed together like it wasn't designed at all.

The new one is just lovely.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - harshy - 21-07-2023

I do agree when we saw that bbc select logo we thought wth but now the new logo looks much better then the old one did.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Roger Darthwell - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 04:59 PM)Moz Wrote:  The old one just looks terrible now. The blocks are far too close together and the letters don't have enough space round them. The entire thing looks just crammed together like it wasn't designed at all.

I think the complete opposite but to each their own I guess

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 21-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 04:59 PM)Moz Wrote:  The old one just looks terrible now. The blocks are far too close together and the letters don't have enough space round them. The entire thing looks just crammed together like it wasn't designed at all.

Yes - the socially distanced version seems appropriate for it's time.