Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Stuart - 22-07-2023

(21-07-2023, 04:59 PM)Moz Wrote:  The new one is just lovely.
I tend to agree, only because of what they can do with the 'bouncing blocks' and stuff.  That wouldn't have worked with those large (but skinny) Gill Sans letters. It's actually quite amazing what a simple change of font can do within an established image/logo.

OK, am I sounding abit too geeky now? Sad

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - DTV - 22-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 02:38 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I tend to agree, only because of what they can do with the 'bouncing blocks' and stuff.  That wouldn't have worked with those large (but skinny) Gill Sans letters. It's actually quite amazing what a simple change of font can do within an established image/logo.
Sure, the animation is nice, but you could absolutely have done the same or something very similar with the old logo.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Roger Darthwell - 22-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 03:43 PM)DTV Wrote:  Sure, the animation is nice, but you could absolutely have done the same or something very similar with the old logo.
Indeed you are right, I swear I saw a video on Twitter of the 97 BBC logo animated by mistake and it looked brilliant to me!

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Matrix - 23-07-2023

(22-07-2023, 06:05 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  Indeed you are right, I swear I saw a video on Twitter of the 97 BBC logo animated by mistake and it looked brilliant to me!

Yes, I also remember seeing this and can't now find it - but it did look good. 

At think, for me, at the most simple of design levels the new logo fails in being legible. The old Gills inspired type did fill the blocks but crucially was also visible in its smallest form. I really do struggle at times with the new one to make out the lettering (incidentally this was a key consideration in the original 1990s rebrand which moved from slanted lettering to the boxed form). 

We are where we are though. I suspect part of the reason for heal dragging as been the internal dismay at seeing the new logo (despite its more active form) and a belief that it's possibly not going to last all that long.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - IanJRedman - 23-07-2023

Would the various animations really have worked with the old logo? I struggle to picture it.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Spencer - 23-07-2023

(23-07-2023, 12:57 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Would the various animations really have worked with the old logo? I struggle to picture it.

It has been mocked up in certain places, and to me it works just as well as the with the new logo.

I'd post a link, but due to the rules here, you'll have to close your eyes and imagine it instead.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - PWD - 23-07-2023

The old logo animated in the 2003 Top of the Pops titles, breaking the logo guidelines of the time

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - ViridianFan - 23-07-2023

I think with bbc reith being designed for readability it has more of a generic feel. It does help that it’s brought back so many of the faults that the 1997 logo had been designed to correct. It’s also very hard to read when small. The logo animating is so small it doesn’t seem worth the cost especially when you think the only place it animates is on screen but it won’t on books, magazines, buildings or when displayed on sounds on my smart display. 

In relation to the old logo animating. remember it being at the start of the Top of the Pops titles. It was sort of animate in BBC Arabic 2007 graphics with all the three blocks coming together. They were also animated in the 2013 “Where Next” at the very end. Id argue that how the were animated there was much more interesting than the little bounce they do now

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 23-07-2023

The logo though is so familar that legibility isn't that critical - indeed it doesn't even need to say BBC in the boxes for people to assume it's the BBC logo - people kind of fill that bit in from their memory.

I did have similar concerns when it launched but I don't think it's really been an issue on screen, and it was occassionally an issue with Gills Sanas anyway. Actually refreshing it's perhaps been designed for the TV screen rather than for avatars and icons on your mobile.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Lester - 24-07-2023

(23-07-2023, 09:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The logo though is so familar that legibility isn't that critical - indeed it doesn't even need to say BBC in the boxes for people to assume it's the BBC logo - people kind of fill that bit in from their memory. 

I did have similar concerns when it launched but I don't think it's really been an issue on screen, and it was occassionally an issue with Gills Sanas anyway.  Actually refreshing it's perhaps been designed for the TV screen rather than for avatars and icons on your mobile.

I'm definitely a convert. The boxes on the Reith logo seem to look more disfigured when smaller as the letters are right near the edge of each box. Because of the spacing on the new one, the boxes seem more separated when smaller and not just the slightest pixel of a line like on the Reith one. 

The C on the Reith logo seems "off" on the old one compared to now also.