Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Stuart - 19-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 08:29 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Talking of interviews going past the hour/half hour mark did they manage to keep avoiding that happening at 9am or have they gone back to having that awkward pause mid-interview?
They certainly try to avoid over-running interviews at the point they end on the NC.

However this whole "it's 08:59", then some random story for a few minutes, before they do the final brief throw to the nations/regions, then winding it all up 10 minutes later - is just a complete mess.

I think they should just finish at 09:00. 'Morning Live' are obviously ready, as they do a live promo earlier.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 19-08-2023

At least they've stopped the mid-interview pause but never made sense really the regional news is at 9.05 - if they kept it leading up to the hour like the other bulletins they could then air a headline summary and interview after.

Agree there would be logic in starting Morning Live at 9am - that makes more sense to me than potentially extending Breakfast to 10am.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - interestednovice - 19-08-2023

The end time certainly could be revisited.

Wasn’t it originally done to make sure Breakfast ended slightly before Lorraine so that people would get drawn in to the next programme instead of switching to ITV, where Lorraine didn’t finish until 9:25?

Now that ITV have adjusted their own schedule, perhaps it’s time to revisit that - but, then again, they now have a 9am junction themselves and I suspect that the BBC would rather not have a junction at the same time. The late regional update also probably helps fulfil quotas. All of this, quite cost effectively, from teams that have been on air for 3 hours already anyway so don’t exactly get paid much more for 15 minutes extra.

I will say, though, that: “Your watching BBC Breakfast. The time’s 8:59.” is no way to end a programme! It’s just as bad as the classic NC “Your watching…. BBC News” *shuffle papers* opt-out point that has also been used for years.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - DTV - 19-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 10:08 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  The end time certainly could be revisited.

Wasn’t it originally done to make sure Breakfast ended slightly before Lorraine so that people would get drawn in to the next programme instead of switching to ITV, where Lorraine didn’t finish until 9:25?
I'm not sure about the Lorraine connection, but Breakfast originally ended at 09:00 and only got extended (initially to 09:30) when Kilroy suddenly got axed in 2004 and they needed an immediate filler in the schedule. After a few months, they cut Breakfast down to 09:15 and filled the rest of the old Kilroy slot with 45' pre-recorded daytime stuff. There could have been pre-empting considerations later, but the original extension was cheap cover.

Out of interest, does anybody recall how they dealt with the 09:00 split between 2004 and 2006 - when Breakfast was extended on BBC One, but before BBC News 24 started opting-out at 08:30?

I do agree, though, that cutting Breakfast back to 09:00 and having an hour Morning Live would make more sense. The last fifteen minutes of Breakfast are a bit of a nothingburger anyway.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Andrew - 19-08-2023

The regional news at about 9:05 is a bit odd, much shorter than the rest and it a funny time. Almost like they don’t want a regional bulletin at that time as they are firmly in light mode by that point, but they have to do like it’s some sort of obligation

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - BN88 - 21-08-2023

(19-08-2023, 10:30 PM)DTV Wrote:  I'm not sure about the Lorraine connection, but Breakfast originally ended at 09:00 and only got extended (initially to 09:30) when Kilroy suddenly got axed in 2004 and they needed an immediate filler in the schedule. After a few months, they cut Breakfast down to 09:15 and filled the rest of the old Kilroy slot with 45' pre-recorded daytime stuff. There could have been pre-empting considerations later, but the original extension was cheap cover.

Out of interest, does anybody recall how they dealt with the 09:00 split between 2004 and 2006 - when Breakfast was extended on BBC One, but before BBC News 24 started opting-out at 08:30?

I do agree, though, that cutting Breakfast back to 09:00 and having an hour Morning Live would make more sense. The last fifteen minutes of Breakfast are a bit of a nothingburger anyway.
IIRC they still did the regional news at 8:55 between '04 and '06, and N24 went to the weather at the opt-out.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - interestednovice - 21-08-2023

The other option for a cleaner exit on the BBC NC is to break away slightly early. When the NC used to leave Breakfast at 8:30 officially, it actually left the programme at about 8:27 when they went to regional news. They then just started the bulletin on the NC slightly early.

If they brought the regional news back to 8:55, the NC could either leave then and cover the extra 5 minutes with weather and trials or take the final regional bulletin from London and then go to the NC at 9:00 at the end of it instead of going back to Salford.

If they did this, it would have the benefit of a clean opt-out point for the NC and also allow for a full 15 minutes after 9 to have an extended interview which would work well - with short BBC One exclusive headlines at 9, they could then go into a daily 10 minute or so interview and then have a few spare minutes to wrap up. It would make far more sense than having to interrupt interviews for opt-outs as they sometimes have to do now.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - all new phil - 21-08-2023

(21-08-2023, 12:51 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  The other option for a cleaner exit on the BBC NC is to break away slightly early. When the NC used to leave Breakfast at 8:30 officially, it actually left the programme at about 8:27 when they went to regional news. They then just started the bulletin on the NC slightly early.

If they brought the regional news back to 8:55, the NC could either leave then and cover the extra 5 minutes with weather and trials or take the final regional bulletin from London and then go to the NC at 9:00 at the end of it instead of going back to Salford.

If they did this, it would have the benefit of a clean opt-out point for the NC and also allow for a full 15 minutes after 9 to have an extended interview which would work well - with short BBC One exclusive headlines at 9, they could then go into a daily 10 minute or so interview and then have a few spare minutes to wrap up. It would make far more sense than having to interrupt interviews for opt-outs as they sometimes have to do now.

What you suggest makes sense if you’re looking at from the perspective of what works for the news channel. I’d guess though that the news channel barely even registers as a consideration with the people working on the show. They’re not going to move things around to suit a tiny part of the audience, and I suspect they have good reasons for the timings they stick to.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - interestednovice - 21-08-2023

I take your point, but I’s also argue that the current situation is not useful for BBC One viewers really either. It breaks the convention of proper headlines at the TOTH as they don’t really do that at 9am and also means an odd timing for the regional news update, so the end of the programme is a damp squib.

Plus, regardless of how small the NC audience is, they do still have to cater for it so you sometimes get the interrupted interview where they do the “You’re watching BBC Breakfast, the time is 8:59” for the benefit of the NC but this breaks the flow for the guest. Not great if you want to see the interview.

Perhaps even worse, part of my point is they actually don’t bother to (or are seemingly unable to) keep to timings well anyway so even a BBC One viewer never quite knows what they are going to get. Hence the issue with the interrupted interviews which are a symptom of this problem.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Stuart - 26-08-2023

I've only just noticed this morning that in the new set they have a little shelf at the back of the desk to hold the keyboards/mice. It means they don't need to have them on the top of the desk. Quite cool!