Pres Café
BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) (/showthread.php?tid=497)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - LDN - 26-06-2023

Like many others here, I'm a big fan of the new studio; I think they've done a lovely job there, and while there are perhaps a couple of aspects that could do with tweaking, I'm sure things will improve as they settle into their new home over the coming weeks. 

Disappointed, but not surprised, to hear the same dreadful Breakfast theme music living on for another generation. It's a matter of taste, I know, but I think it's a ghastly, jingly nightmare with the sole redeeming quality that it's over quickly. 

The new branding is as unremarkable as I expected. The BBC's obsession with circles continues, with these facile motion graphics:
https://ibb.co/rypN1VK 
The more I look at that simplistic animation, the more childish and unsophisticated it feels. 

I think the colours used in the new branding are quite nice...
https://ibb.co/Mcs1Whm 
...but the design itself is just so frickin' basic. Unlike the distinctive 'pulses', departure board-style scrolling placenames, cats cradle etc, there is nothing in this design that immediately says 'BBC'. Like all other recent BBC News design efforts, it looks like they've taken a free generic design template and just slapped their logo on it. 

Anyway, a few more gifs... 

Story wipe on the in-vision display -- but what's with the weird curved cut-outs above and below the photo? It makes it look like a windscreen wiper has wiped away the grime of the Breakfast branding to reveal HRH's photo underneath... 😄
https://ibb.co/rxX6Mrd 

Not sure if anyone spotted or mentioned this earlier -- a new contact info super, with Twitter and WhatsApp logos, and a QR code, and its own unique style of animation that doesn't match anything else currently on BBC News... 
https://ibb.co/DwP9xrV 

For the sake of my sanity, I'm going to try not to read too much into a new circular style of lower-third design being introduced at a time when BBC News is obsessed with circles... 🤔

...but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next major update to the lower thirds (whenever the hell that's coming) eventually follows a similarly circular path. Joy. 

And finally... a couple of people were asking earlier if the colour of the BBC Breakfast dog/identifier had been changed. For no obvious reason, it certainly has:
https://ibb.co/pvG0Z2b 

No longer orange; now more of a... deep salmon? 
[Image: bbc-breakfast-orange-salmon.png]

I've also just decided that 'A Deep Salmon' will be the name of my autobiography.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - janewaysbun - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 10:06 AM)Rdd Wrote:  The titles just look so cheesey with that blue circle flying over. Everything else is very good, however.

The blue circle fly over is soooo basic it's laughable, reminds me of the The Good Life titles from the 1970's and not in a good way

[Image: The_Good_Life_%28logo_for_1975_TV_show%29.jpg]

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - South - 26-06-2023

I think on reflection of the colour scheme the lighter blue gradient of the floating orb is nicer than the royal blue, I wish they would have used that instead, especially as its used on the borders for stories on the towers.

Saying that it's good to see Breakfast trying something new with the colour scheme, Breakfast has always appeared to have been more creative with title cards and graphics than the rest of the BBC output over the last few years, especially when they go rogue and create there own astons etc.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - mouseboy33 - 26-06-2023

Nice studio. The music is a meh and the graphics are waay too simplistic. Seemingly zero imagination. The colour and sun angle looks like pollution or nuclear fallout. What boring skyline view as well. Im mean Greater Manchester has an impressive skyline now. I know it might cause WWIII i think it should be branded as broadcasting from Greater Manchester rather than Salford. (Thats a personal preference, but I have connections to the region.) Funny how the headline sequence is nearly 2 mins long and NBC Nightly News open is just as long, but doesnt receive the same vitriol. Interesting.
Its a very dry programme. Feels like any bit of personality is drained out of the presenters and it just feels kinda generic. But at least they got a news set. Well done.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Brekkie - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 11:49 AM)Renap Wrote:  Shame they didn't do anything about new music but I guess that's to be expected judging by other recent BBC title changes.
Oh come on - it's a miracle they managed studio and graphics on the same day (and on a Monday too), never mind music as well. FWIW the Breakfast music for me has aged much better than the pips on the main bulletins.

(26-06-2023, 12:33 PM)LDN Wrote:  I think the colours used in the new branding are quite nice...
https://ibb.co/Mcs1Whm 
...but the design itself is just so frickin' basic. Unlike the distinctive 'pulses', departure board-style scrolling placenames, cats cradle etc, there is nothing in this design that immediately says 'BBC'. Like all other recent BBC News design efforts, it looks like they've taken a free generic design template and just slapped their logo on it. 
Certainly a simple design but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's still a huge step up from what The Context, Global Daily and News Now have got in recent weeks on the news channel, and I think it's refreshing it isn't so obviously BBC News - that's what makes it feel fresh. Indeed it was that sequence you just posted where they went from the BBC Breakfast branding across the studio to the harsh red and whites of the BBC News graphics for the Cost of Living piece which really highlights how the rest of BBC News needs to sort itself out.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Dougal - 26-06-2023

Ever since they released images of the new graphics and set last week, I've thought that there was something familiar about the colours and composition of the logo.

It's not dissimilar to "News Breakfast" from the ABC. Various iterations of their logo and title set a blue circle against and orange background.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - TVenthusiasm - 26-06-2023

The new studio is so good!! It's such a shame that the team in NBH can't get it right, whilst the Salford team absolutely smashes it with their new studio. I really hope when Studio E gets refitted it will look similar to what we have here. The graphics are brilliant too - though I'm not keen on the flying blue circle. Considering all the mess we have with the news channel this is a welcome distraction.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - LDN - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 08:24 AM)what Wrote:  [Image: IMG_0371.jpeg]

This is very curious. 

The 0800 titles were significantly different -- in animation, and in the colours used -- from the other new Breakfast title sequence shown today. 

https://ibb.co/vZKphHy 

[list]
[*]There's no blue disc -- indeed, there's no blue at all.
[*]The animation is still pretty basic, but the shapes intersect in (very!) slightly more interesting and dynamic ways (compared with the simple blue-disc-traces-outline-of-orange-disc animation in the other titles).
[*]For example, in these titles, look at how the large disc sweeps across the top of the screen (looking almost like a giant hazy sun floating across the cityscape); compared with the 'regular' titles in which a smaller disc appears towards the centre of the screen and doesn't move at all).
[*]The final logo formation highlights the Breakfast logo within a translucent white disc, fading out at the bottom.
[*]There are much deeper oranges fading into rich red hues -- a much clearer visual link to the wider BBC News brand.
[/list]

But what I find most interesting in these titles is the small flash of purple tones that briefly appears at the bottom. Remember those rumours of a new look for Breakfast featuring red and purple...? 

These titles are so different in style to everything else we've seen today -- particularly in the absence of blue and the prominence of red -- that I'm struggling to see how they fit into the new look.

In fact, I can't help but wonder if a slightly different look was originally designed for the new Breakfast, which was then changed in favour of the look we see now, with the more basic motion graphics, and very prominent blue elements that are missing here.

This is pure speculation based on observation, but the fact that these titles differ in key areas from the rest of the new look introduced today, coupled with the fact that they feature the hints of purple that were rumoured months ago, makes me suspect that these titles could be from an older revision of Breakfast's new look that was ultimately binned.

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - Lec_Ver16 - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 12:33 PM)LDN Wrote:  No longer orange; now more of a... deep salmon? 
[Image: bbc-breakfast-orange-salmon.png]

I've also just decided that 'A Deep Salmon' will be the name of my autobiography.
I guess that it was the original red of the graphics (as we saw in some images), but the change to orange likely was last-minute and they forgot to change the lower thirds.

Can we talk about the inconsistency of the use of the chamaleon style? It simily doesn`t work on titles. It looks disjointed. On channel idents and endboards it works well because the focus is not on the channel name but on the ident or the information itslef. On programme titles, the most important thing is -indeed- the programme name, and the placement of chamaleon makes everything look weird. On News it may work a little more if the globe is centered but they haven`t even changed that.

The 8.00 start was strange. It has a disappearing BBC logo that appears again two seconds later and without the standard chamaleon animations. What was that?

RE: BBC Breakfast (June 2023 - Present) - itsrobert - 26-06-2023

The colour scheme reminds me so much of BBC World's "The World Today" from 1997-99.

[Image: bbc-the-world-today-late-1990s.png]