Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - DTV - 23-11-2022

(23-11-2022, 08:44 PM)fanoftv Wrote:  It is very strange how staggered out everything still seems to be. I don’t understand how the children’s channels still have the old logo. Last year I assumed they were waiting until the start of 2022 when they didn’t rebrand along with other channels, when that didn’t happen I expected the Autumn, but we’re now near to the end of the year with no sign of it changing anywhere bar some trailers and the downtime screens.

I think with Children's there is a bit of wriggleroom as it is fairly isolated from the wider BBC at the minute, but this long is ridiculous considering that it's pretty much all digital they are changing and the new logo has already cropped up once or twice. BBC international sort of had this in 1997 - World and Prime didn't adopt the new logo until the end of October - but they could get away with that due to their isolation from the wider BBC.

I also am beginning to think that classing it as a staggered rebrand is inaccurate. Staggered rebrands are typically done in clear phases and this rollout has just been all over the place. Initially it was implied to be a clean 1997-type rebrand; then it was going to be channels last October and departments in the Spring; now it is apparent that there was never any plan to begin with. I think this is clearest with BBC Weather - literally all they have to do is replace the logo that goes on the front of forecasts, yet nobody has got round to that after 13 months.

It is fairly clear that this is partly down to key components not being ready on time - most notably BBC One's idents. But if this is the case, they should have delayed the overall rebrand until things were ready (the failure to complete key components on time also implies improper planning).

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - bkman1990 - 24-11-2022

The BBC News along with the World Service app on Android for those outside of the UK still has not been updated yet even though the UK licence fee payers got their updates first which was understandable. But now it is really unacceptable that those of us who these apps on our phones still not have the new app UI applied to them yet.

To my mind BBC Studios Limited is the same than BBC Worldwide which is the commercial arm of the BBC which maybe a factor in how they update their apps with their new App UI's on people's various devices. And that does not only mention phones/tablets but also includes laptops and PC's as well that have Windows 11 from Microsoft and Google Chromebooks from Alphabet.

It really very frustrating that a huge number of those people still have not received word for those two specific apps from the BBC yet. It is taking an extremely long time to get this important job done.

Although I do see that significant progress has been made already to include the new app UI's for the BBC Foreign Language from World Service TV on people devices and for BBC Cymru Fyw for people living in Wales.

We cannot be waiting too long now for the two remaining BBC News apps to get that all important update in the near future.

A lot of the BBC young people apps still have not included the new BBC logos either. And even BBC Top Gear Donut Dash game along with a lot of the other BBC Lifestyle apps still have not received the new BBC logo yet either.

So I what saying here is that there is still a lot of work yet to do for the BBC to complete in the short to medium term on the app stores from Google Play and Amazon.

If that work lasts into 2023; I wouldn't be surprised to hear if financial issues are currently being felt within their own department because of cutbacks or whatever. That should be understandable if that is the main reason for this issue that remains unaddressed in the interim.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - LargelyALurker - 28-11-2022

Just saw a trail for England v Wales tomorrow that just featured the iPlayer / Sounds / Sports logos and no channel (TV or Radio) or time. Is that really helpful?

In other chameleon news, the BBC Sport Scotland graphics currently being used on Sportscene on the BBC Scotland channel are all using the old logo. In fact, there’s the “BBC SCOTLAND” DOG with new logo and BBC next to the score bar with the old one on screen at the same time.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - TVNerd - 28-11-2022

(28-11-2022, 10:06 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Just saw a trail for England v Wales tomorrow that just featured the iPlayer / Sounds / Sports logos and no channel (TV or Radio) or time. Is that really helpful?
A large portion of trails played on Radio 1 also don’t mention the TV channel/Radio station or exact time, and just refer to the streaming service and sometimes the day of broadcast. I can only imagine this has been deemed more suitable for the Radio 1 target audience than referencing the linear broadcast directly, as they are more comfortable with streaming.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - fanoftv - 28-11-2022

I heard a Radio 2 trail for the BBC Two documentary ‘Trailblazers: A Rocky Mountain Road Trip’ earlier today that ended with “watch from tonight on BBC iPlayer. Very strange.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Spencer - 29-11-2022

(28-11-2022, 10:06 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  Just saw a trail for England v Wales tomorrow that just featured the iPlayer / Sounds / Sports logos and no channel (TV or Radio) or time. Is that really helpful?

I don't think it's unhelpful. If they're determined to push iPlayer, Sounds and Sport brands, it's probably best not to add yet further clutter by stating the obvious that it's on BBC One and 5 Live.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - BBCMeridian - 29-11-2022

(29-11-2022, 10:37 AM)Spencer Wrote:  

I don't think it's unhelpful. If they're determined to push iPlayer, Sounds and Sport brands, it's probably best not to add yet further clutter by stating the obvious that it's on BBC One and 5 Live.
Or they could stop promoting Iplayer and Sounds as people know how to use them by now instead, the trailer could end e.g Tuesday at 9, on BBC One just like before.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Spencer - 29-11-2022

(29-11-2022, 12:09 PM)BBCMeridian Wrote:  
(29-11-2022, 10:37 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I don't think it's unhelpful. If they're determined to push iPlayer, Sounds and Sport brands, it's probably best not to add yet further clutter by stating the obvious that it's on BBC One and 5 Live.
Or they could stop promoting Iplayer and Sounds as people know how to use them by now instead, the trailer could end e.g Tuesday at 9, on BBC One just like before.

Stop promoting the services at the core of the BBC's plan for the future? Okaaay.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Allanbuzzy - 29-11-2022

Personally, I don't really mind them promoting iPlayer in comparison to promoting the shows they are originally airing on. I believe the BBC have it right, they want people to associate BBC with "iPlayer, Sounds, News, Sport, etc.".

My minor gripe with the icon system is that it never fully transitions back into the BBC logo centre frame, meaning that when it goes from promo to ident, the BBC logo just starts mid animation and back into the fully formed logo.

This isn't for all promos I gather, obviously there are times where it also transitions back into the branding of said brand, such as BBC One's "Lens", BBC Two's "Curve", and so on to continue the consistency of the BBC formation, but on some it just stops at the iPlayer/Sounds/Sport icon and that's it.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Andrew - 29-11-2022

(28-11-2022, 10:22 PM)TVNerd Wrote:  
A large portion of trails played on Radio 1 also don’t mention the TV channel/Radio station or exact time, and just refer to the streaming service and sometimes the day of broadcast. I can only imagine this has been deemed more suitable for the Radio 1 target audience than referencing the linear broadcast directly, as they are more comfortable with streaming.

Does anyone know of the version of the trailer promoting England vs Wales broadcast on Radio 2 mentioned BBC One or was it also “watch on iPlayer, listen on sounds”?