Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Former Member 406 - 05-01-2023

I'll probably reach State Retirement Age (I'm currently 42) before the blocks are fully updated on all BBC outlets, services and new content.

If the threatened scrapping of the Royal Charter at its next expiry date really does go ahead, and therefore the Beeb has to transform into some form of "commercial" broadcaster as a result, then (and only then) do I envisage total branding consistency being quickly pushed-through on any/all remaining traces of old logos etc.

Auntie Beeb in its current form seems so singularly incapable of ever doing so. 1997 was clearly a one-off fluke, and will forever remain the *only* time that the (Licence Fee-funded) Beeb will ever have managed a well-coordinated blanket changeover.

I listen to certain BBC radio stations through Freeview quite a lot. The MHEG images are *still* in the old style with the Gill blocks and the old station logos (e.g. Radios 3 & 4 still have their "treble clef" and "quote mark" numerals, respectively). I consider this state of affairs, much as with BBC Weather, to be nothing short of woeful and pathetic.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Brekkie - 06-01-2023

Even things like the BBC News Ros Atkins explainers are uploaded with the old logo despite BBC News having updated nine months ago.

Away from the logo though are we due anymore BBC1 idents - weren't they delayed to make some more but then launched before they were ready anyway? I guess they've stopped adding to the BBC2 curves now though fair enough TBH, though some new Christmas additions (or a new set) wouldn't go amiss.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - denton - 07-01-2023

(06-01-2023, 09:03 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Away from the logo though are we due anymore BBC1 idents - weren't they delayed to make some more but then launched before they were ready anyway?

No, we're not due anymore. Though that could change of course.

They were initially delayed so that more could be made and so that they could launch with a wider set of idents than was originally planned. That happened. They were launched with a wider range.

At that point a few more were still in post-production, and they were added to the set shortly after.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - pad - 08-01-2023

The new block logo is on the opening titles of Casualty and has a rather nice animation in and out.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - VMPhil - 11-01-2023

(08-01-2023, 01:47 PM)pad Wrote:  The new block logo is on the opening titles of Casualty and has a rather nice animation in and out.

That does look lovely indeed.

[Image: 1673475846_1708168927.webp]

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Blubatt - 12-01-2023

It looks good, certainly dynamic, but wouldn't it look better if it was on the top, where it is on the ident?

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Spencer - 12-01-2023

We’ve heard a few times on here that the logos on programme titles are being phased out. I wonder if this information was incorrect or if they’ve reversed the decision.

It’s one thing to see programmes like Gardeners’ World swap over the 1997 logo for the new one, but for programmes to incorporate the new animations makes it seem more like a deliberate part of the Chameleon plan. I guess the litmus test will be if we start to see other programmes with this.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Transmission - 13-01-2023

Most of the time we've seen the new logo in titles so far, it's been positioned above the programme title. I suspect for Casualty they've placed it where I'm guessing the old logo would have gone instead as putting it above the title would have required a lot more work because of the changing brightness of the background when the title comes up.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Former Member 406 - 13-01-2023

I couldn't figure out which thread or forum would be best for this, so apologies if this isn't the right place.

The article on Clean Feed about more BBC channels appearing on Astra 28.2E mentions something called "BBC One Nightlight". What the blithering flip is that?

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Steve in Pudsey - 13-01-2023

Being discussed at https://pres.cafe/showthread.php?tid=286 

It's part of launching regions in HD on satellite, a single SD service "leaving a light on" for those without HD kit.