Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - thomalex - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 08:10 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  
(29-01-2023, 07:49 PM)CF1 Wrote:  The BBC is such a third-rate broadcaster these days. No pride in anything it does at all, with even BBC News being dismantled beyond recognition. It doesn't surprise me that they can't be bothered replacing something as simple as their own logo on their national HQ.

Bit of an overreaction. 

This is by all accounts a necessary repair to vandalism done a few years back.

Seeing as the BBC logo is comprised of glass panels, I’m guessing it would be harder or more complex to create new panels with the new logo on. I don’t think it’s quite as “simple” as you make it out to be.

Completely agree. Changing this sign will require a planning application and custom made curved glass panels to be produced and installed. This will all come at significant cost which journalists will be waiting to make some noise about so you can see why it's likely to not be particularly high on the BBC's list of priorities. 

This repair today to damage behind will likely have been paid for by an insurer so while it seems a good time to update the sign it won't have been part of the claim.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - DTV - 29-01-2023

(29-01-2023, 05:18 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I understand the financial approach of "until it's broke, don't fix it" - but this is the flagship piece of physical branding across the entire organisation worldwide. Surely it's beyond time it was updated?
Exactly - if you're fine with your most prominent physical logo being 'out-of-date' 15 months after your rebrand, you didn't need the rebrand in the first place. That should have been one of the first changes they made, the fact they haven't is just symbolic of the organisational shambles that this rebrand has been. 

And I don't understand the pearl-clutching defences of the BBC here.
- If it's too costly to change the flagship sign, then don't rebrand in the first place - the cost of that sign will be a minute fraction of the overall cost of the rebrand.
- The Mail will write negative crap about the BBC regardless, that doesn't mean the BBC should exist constantly in state of inaction.
- I'm sure the BBC needed to get equivalent permission and needed custom-made signage built in 1997, didn't stop them changing the logo over as soon as possible then.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - VMPhil - 30-01-2023

I'm not "pearl-clutching" thank you very much.

I was trying to explain that this was seemingly a fix for a prior problem, and that the replacement of the signage with the new BBC logo would have to be done at a different time.

Perhaps this is even in preparation for such a thing?

But the custom curved glass will clearly take a lot longer to replace than, say, the more traditional signage on Television Centre when the logo was updated with the then-new Gill Sans blocks in 1998.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Michael Kenchington - 30-01-2023

(30-01-2023, 12:38 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  I'm not "pearl-clutching" thank you very much.

I was trying to explain that this was seemingly a fix for a prior problem, and that the replacement of the signage with the new BBC logo would have to be done at a different time.

Perhaps this is even in preparation for such a thing?

But the custom curved glass will clearly take a lot longer to replace than, say, the more traditional signage on Television Centre when the logo was updated with the then-new Gill Sans blocks in 1998.
Actually, the 1997 BBC logo and the words Television Centre was put up on the building in November 1997.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - BBCChameleonFan - 30-01-2023

https://up.metropol247.co.uk/TVGuy/trim_211AF3E8-38F5-458E-9543-0EC01E93919B.mov 
The You Got This Campaign from CBeebies returned this morning, but this time with the iPLAYER icon at the end, and the split logo of CBeebies ‘BBC Logo top CBeebies Logo bottom’ was used at the end too, so it transitions into said icon.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Stooky Bill - 30-01-2023

It's the advantage they have of changing the logo to one that's not really that different to the old one. They can get away with having the old one present more than they could if it was a more radical change

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - DTV - 30-01-2023

(30-01-2023, 09:37 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It's the advantage they have of changing the logo to one that's not really that different to the old one. They can get away with having the old one present more than they could if it was a more radical change
But then this is just further evidence in the 'this rebrand was totally unnecessary' column. Indeed, the original plans for the Reith rollout specifically involved retaining the 1997 logo due to the unnecessary costs in replacing a logo that was fine as is. The decision for the newer logo was impulsively taken rather late in the process - which in itself is rather indicative about a lot of this rebrand.

(30-01-2023, 12:38 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  But the custom curved glass will clearly take a lot longer to replace than, say, the more traditional signage on Television Centre when the logo was updated with the then-new Gill Sans blocks in 1998.
I don't see why it would take longer. If things were properly organised, the sign would have been made ahead of the changeover date and then it's merely a matter of changing three panels. The 1997 logo installation would've been far harder - affixing 19 separate signs to a brick wall and ensuring they're all aligned correctly at a far greater height - much more challenging. Plus, my assumption about the NBH logo has always been that its merely adhesive frosting - maybe I've not been close enough, but it doesn't look to be part of the glass itself.

And, as Michael says, the Television Centre logo was changed pretty much as soon as possible - you can see the new logo (Television Centre wording and all) in episode six of I'm Alan Partridge, which was transmitted 08/12/1997. I think it's safe to assume there was a turnaround of a week or two - so the logo must have been installed by at least late-November, if not earlier.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Robert Williams - 30-01-2023

(30-01-2023, 11:39 AM)DTV Wrote:  And, as Michael says, the Television Centre logo was changed pretty much as soon as possible - you can see the new logo (Television Centre wording and all) in episode six of I'm Alan Partridge, which was transmitted 08/12/1997. I think it's safe to assume there was a turnaround of a week or two - so the logo must have been installed by at least late-November, if not earlier.

Unless it's a dodgy memory, I think I remember that the scaffolding could be seen at the front of Television Centre at the start of that year's Children in Need show.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Andrew Wood - 30-01-2023

https://twitter.com/theidentgallery/status/1620026269642682368 

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - VMPhil - 30-01-2023

(30-01-2023, 12:16 PM)Robert Williams Wrote:  
(30-01-2023, 11:39 AM)DTV Wrote:  And, as Michael says, the Television Centre logo was changed pretty much as soon as possible - you can see the new logo (Television Centre wording and all) in episode six of I'm Alan Partridge, which was transmitted 08/12/1997. I think it's safe to assume there was a turnaround of a week or two - so the logo must have been installed by at least late-November, if not earlier.

Unless it's a dodgy memory, I think I remember that the scaffolding could be seen at the front of Television Centre at the start of that year's Children in Need show.

I believe it was from your old website that I remembered you wrote it was up in time for Children in Need - I misremembered it as being CiN 1998 and not 1997.