Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

harshy - harshy - 31-01-2023

(31-01-2023, 03:57 PM)Jon Wrote:  
(31-01-2023, 11:26 AM)Nini Wrote:  A lot of this thread does show a certain reluctance from some departments to implement the new branding. Not surprised, even after being with it for a while I still think it's a startlingly incompetent looking logo so I don't blame anyone for looking at it and thinking it's not the right one seeing as it feels like a recreation of the logo made in Google Sheets in a rush.
I think you’re over estimating people’s ability to tell the difference. These things all seem like bad management of implementing the new brand rather some kind of protest about the new branding.

If you are a graphic designer the first thing they will notice is the logo, the place I work they are well picky if old logos are used and get you to correct it.

RE: harshy - Jon - 31-01-2023

(31-01-2023, 06:10 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(31-01-2023, 03:57 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think you’re over estimating people’s ability to tell the difference. These things all seem like bad management of implementing the new brand rather some kind of protest about the new branding.

If you are a graphic designer the first thing they will notice is the logo, the place I work they are well picky if old logos are used and get you to correct it.
You'd think, but it's possible this particular graphic wasn't made by a graphic or it was made by a not very brand conscious one. 

I think ultimately even if you hate the current branding, you still except you have to work with it, if that's your job.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - MFTJA - 31-01-2023

(31-01-2023, 11:26 AM)Nini Wrote:  A lot of this thread does show a certain reluctance from some departments to implement the new branding. Not surprised, even after being with it for a while I still think it's a startlingly incompetent looking logo so I don't blame anyone for looking at it and thinking it's not the right one seeing as it feels like a recreation of the logo made in Google Sheets in a rush.
Many people don't have access to all the new logos. It's much less about the fact that they may not like them and simply that they don't care. An average BBC News journalist writing an article will not want to waste time searching for a new logo that most people won't even notice.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - harshy - 31-01-2023

I managed to get the logo in vector format in SVG format, it’s more likely there’s no style guide tbh and no one telling them to use the new logo.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - DeMarkay - 31-01-2023

All BBC logos are available on BBC GEL. It’s not hard to go through Gateway and then BBC GEL.

RE: harshy - Andrew - 31-01-2023

(31-01-2023, 06:10 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(31-01-2023, 03:57 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think you’re over estimating people’s ability to tell the difference. These things all seem like bad management of implementing the new brand rather some kind of protest about the new branding.

The company I work at changed its logo last year and there was an internal launch, with free pens, cupcakes that sort of thing dished out, as a result everyone was aware the logo had changed. External design partners were also fully briefed.

If the old logo is used, someone will notice and ask you to change it, even on internal communications, someone will notice and point it out.

The old logo still exists in physical forms on buildings as the budget didn’t stretch that far, and also in areas where changing it would involve throwing stuff away, so stocks of old logo stuff are being used up first, but it was changed in all digital forms.

The company I work at is much smaller than the BBC I’ll grant you, but I also expect both the budget and the size of the team leading the change is much smaller as well. There is no way it should still be being used in digital forms including the BBC Weather, so many months later. It probably just highlights how big organisations like the BBC are a bit dysfunctional as depicted in W1A

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - DTV - 31-01-2023

(31-01-2023, 07:20 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The company I work at is much smaller than the BBC I’ll grant you, but I also expect both the budget and the size of the team leading the change is much smaller as well. There is no way it should still be being used in digital forms including the BBC Weather, so many months later. It probably just highlights how big organisations like the BBC are a bit dysfunctional as depicted in W1A
Maybe, but the BBC isn't really much bigger than it was in 1997 and they managed a pretty much perfect shift then (with a three week delay for international channels* and, as with your company, a transitionary period with physical items (excepting priority signage e.g. TVC)). Plus, that was a pre-digitial period so many logos couldn't simply be switched at the click of a button.

My favourite contrast of that rebrand with this one is the fact that several regional news teams, despite launching new looks on the following Monday, edited the new logo into their titles simply for the short weekend bulletins - actually going back to the mastertapes and switching it out just for two short programmes. I think one region might have even modified their set (though I might be mixing it up with one that didn't have an imminent rebrand).

But that is what a properly managed rebrand looks like and there is no reason other than incompetent project management that means that it couldn't have been done this time. And that's what the mistakes and inconsistencies are down to - not rogue designers, not convoluted implementation schedules - just a combination of incompetence and indifference to proper brand management. An 'it's ready when it's ready'/'that'll do' approach.

* To coincide with BBC World's schedule change.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - TJTSW - 31-01-2023

same here, i worked for a big global company which changed its logo a couple of times, with emails and digital stuff we had to use the new branding templates for everything, with letterheads and envalopes we had to use the old stock first before the new printed logo stationary could be used, but then before we got to use that the company rebranded again so even the new stuff we hadnt used was out of date..

the building signage was outdated for about 10 years, everyone always asked when was that going to get updated , again managament said this was down to budgets, only when some work was being done on the roof and they had scaffolding around the buidling, the building signage got updated...

So I can see the BBC old logo could be there for a while,
with money being a big issue at the BBC at the moment, is changing a building sign more important that making BBC programmes ?

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Andrew - 31-01-2023

Personally, the main sign on the main building that will be the go-to image whenever the BBC is in the news, yes that should be changed.

The sign outside BBC Radio Sheffield, probably not.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - JLav25 - 01-02-2023

(31-01-2023, 11:12 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Personally, the main sign on the main building that will be the go-to image whenever the BBC is in the news, yes that should be changed.

The sign outside BBC Radio Sheffield, probably not.

A fair view. I’d be surprised if BBC Midlands choose to update the signs at the Mailbox, since they are moving out in a few years anyway