Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Keith - 04-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 07:32 PM)what Wrote:  Weather has the new blocks!

[Image: AA8634A5-4499-47B5-B838-317A8478A906.jpeg]
You're a couple weeks and pages late https://pres.cafe/showthread.php?tid=50&pid=16753#pid16753 .

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Kojak - 04-03-2023

It’s been nearly 18 months now, but I still don’t understand the idea of having the BBC blocks at the top of the screen and the channel name at the bottom. Just doesn’t look right to me. If the logos were fully displayed at the bottom, 1997-style, it would look much better (IMO). Puts a bit of a black mark on what is otherwise a pretty decent branding package.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - thomalex - 05-03-2023

(04-03-2023, 07:44 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It’s been nearly 18 months now, but I still don’t understand the idea of having the BBC blocks at the top of the screen and the channel name at the bottom. Just doesn’t look right to me. If the logos were fully displayed at the bottom, 1997-style, it would look much better (IMO). Puts a bit of a black mark on what is otherwise a pretty decent branding package.

Disagree with this one. The idea of 'blocks at the top' is so it's consistent across all platforms, whether I'm viewing something on iPlayer, reading a BBC News article, listening to a podcast on Sounds or watching TV the BBC is always placed at the top of the screen. And it's the top of something that you see or read first, just look at the front page of any newspaper.

I also think it nicely frames idents with a central device such as the lens on BBC One, the 2 curve on BBC Two etc.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Kojak - 05-03-2023

(05-03-2023, 12:35 AM)thomalex Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 07:44 PM)Kojak Wrote:  It’s been nearly 18 months now, but I still don’t understand the idea of having the BBC blocks at the top of the screen and the channel name at the bottom. Just doesn’t look right to me. If the logos were fully displayed at the bottom, 1997-style, it would look much better (IMO). Puts a bit of a black mark on what is otherwise a pretty decent branding package.

Disagree with this one. The idea of 'blocks at the top' is so it's consistent across all platforms, whether I'm viewing something on iPlayer, reading a BBC News article, listening to a podcast on Sounds or watching TV the BBC is always placed at the top of the screen. And it's the top of something that you see or read first, just look at the front page of any newspaper.

I also think it nicely frames idents with a central device such as the lens on BBC One, the 2 curve on BBC Two etc.
Thinking about it more, you're absolutely right - so I take back everything I said earlier! It's about putting the BBC brand on top - literally! - which is very important in these digital-first times. BBC first and foremost, sub-brands second.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - IanJRedman - 06-03-2023

On a trip to Nottingham over the weekend, I noticed the BBC's building has updated signage with the new logo. Are there any other BBC sites with the new branding up, or is this the only one?

(Kudos to my girlfriend for agreeing to take this photo while I was driving - "Where are you going to put these?!" Big Grin)

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Blubatt - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 02:31 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  On a trip to Nottingham over the weekend, I noticed the BBC's building has updated signage with the new logo. Are there any other BBC sites with the new branding up, or is this the only one?

(Kudos to my girlfriend for agreeing to take this photo while I was driving - "Where are you going to put these?!" Big Grin)

Living near Liverpool, I do pass the BBC Merseyside building quite often, and they are in a slightly better position for the eventual chameleon-ification (New word, patent pending). The building doesn't actually have blocks attached to the exterior. Its all on the glass for the front entrance, and will likely be quite easy to switch.

LargelyALurker - LargelyALurker - 06-03-2023

I agree. I think it would work OK if they ‘ONE’, ‘TWO’, ‘SCOTLAND’ were in an interesting font, were a word mark (like the old ‘one’ and ‘THREE’ logos) or had a little logo attached (like the ALBA star). But without any of those, they just look daft and a bit lost without the BBC blocks next to them.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - WMD - 06-03-2023

And why can we not have English regions named in the idents? ‘Representing all the nations and regions of the UK’ they say…

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Spencer - 06-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 10:49 PM)WMD Wrote:  And why can we not have English regions named in the idents? ‘Representing all the nations and regions of the UK’ they say…
We’ve never heard a reason as to why the regional identifiers were dropped. It’s not like there’s no room for them, or it wouldn’t suit the design, as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have them.

Someone obviously decided they were no longer necessary, or at least not worth the effort and cost of producing an extra twelve versions of each ident. And with the various objects moving in front of the logo and text, it wouldn’t be something that could easily be added later by someone in presentation without access to the master templates from the design agency.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Stuart - 07-03-2023

(06-03-2023, 11:31 PM)Spencer Wrote:  We’ve never heard a reason as to why the regional identifiers were dropped. It’s not like there’s no room for them, or it wouldn’t suit the design, as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have them.

Someone obviously decided they were no longer necessary, or at least not worth the effort and cost of producing an extra twelve versions of each ident. And with the various objects moving in front of the logo and text, it wouldn’t be something that could easily be added later by someone in presentation without access to the master templates from the design agency.
I've always assumed the complexity of the idents was the reason. There is still a VO identifier for each region announcing the presenters of the national and regional news. I think that's sufficient.