Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

RE: harshy - Kunst - 16-09-2023

(16-09-2023, 06:39 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  I've never fully understood why Poland is such a special place with it's own BBC feeds.......

Me neither, except:for being the most populous monolingual, ad-friendly and lucrative market in the area, for a long time too Big Grin

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - IanJRedman - 16-09-2023

Not directly related to anything broadcast, but BBC Studios is releasing a new Doctor Who Blu-ray box set on Monday. I just had a look at one of the new bonus features and saw this at the end...

Apologies for the (heavily compressed) off screen photo:

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Spencer - 16-09-2023

(16-09-2023, 07:24 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Not directly related to anything broadcast, but BBC Studios is releasing a new Doctor Who Blu-ray box set on Monday. I just had a look at one of the new bonus features and saw this at the end...

Apologies for the (heavily compressed) off screen photo:
I’m beginning to think someone’s just trolling us now. I mean, how else could that have come about?

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - JAS84 - 17-09-2023

Yeah, the BBC Studios logo never used Gill Sans capital letters. I think what probably happened is they didn't have the Studios logo file for some reason, only the BBC logo. And they didn't have the Reith font either, so they mocked it up using Gill, thinking it won't matter because it's just a DVD extra and not a TV programme. 2023 is also written in Gill Sans, and the copyright symbol seems to be from a default font used if the one they wanted (which would again have been Reith) isn't available.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - harshy - 17-09-2023

Couldn’t they just have gone on the bbc studios site made the logo bigger in the browser print screen copy and paste in photoshop and inversed it so it’s white assuming their machine didn’t have Reith loaded.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - IanJRedman - 17-09-2023

I think the BBC logo is a mockup too - the spacing between the blocks isn't right.

Blu-ray extras of this kind are made by indies and just published by BBC Studios, so they're not made "by" BBC Studios in the same way as, say, a TV show might be. But someone on the BBC Studios side should be in a position to provide the proper assets, and push back if something isn't right. That clearly didn't happen!

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Spencer - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 11:14 AM)IanJRedman Wrote:  I think the BBC logo is a mockup too - the spacing between the blocks isn't right.
It looks to me like they’ve taken the 1997 logo and just swapped the Gill lettering for Reith at a slightly smaller size.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Hadrien - 17-09-2023

(17-09-2023, 10:12 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  Yeah, the BBC Studios logo never used Gill Sans capital letters. I think what probably happened is they didn't have the Studios logo file for some reason, only the BBC logo. And they didn't have the Reith font either, so they mocked it up using Gill, thinking it won't matter because it's just a DVD extra and not a TV programme. 2023 is also written in Gill Sans, and the copyright symbol seems to be from a default font used if the one they wanted (which would again have been Reith) isn't available.

They did use Gill Sans capital letters in 2016: https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/BBC_Studios_Productions 

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - VMPhil - 17-09-2023

Yes BBC Studios in its short existence comparative to BBC Productions has gone through lots of logo changes. I’m not surprised people don’t know what the right one is!

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Transmission - 18-09-2023

Yep, pretty sure I've got that one on a mug somewhere!