Pres Café
The BBC Chameleon Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: The BBC Chameleon Thread (/showthread.php?tid=50)

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Juicy Joe - 04-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 01:02 PM)gav Wrote:  The new series of The Apprentice ended with the old BBC logo on its endboard last night. I don't think this is ever going to end.

(14-01-2024, 08:44 AM)fanoftv Wrote:  As has been mentioned before, it doesn’t help that the BBC’s website of credit rules features the old logo ( https://www.bbc.co.uk/delivery/credits-branding-trademarks/  )
Based on that the independent companies are doing the right thing by using the old logo.

I imagine programme makers are sticking to the agreed branding guidelines, which, according to the official website above, states the old 1997 logo must be used at all costs.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Brekkie - 04-02-2024

Surely programme makers are querying that though and surely there is no excuse for those guidelines to be nearly three years out of date.

Forumers have always taken those guidelines more seriously than programme makers anyway.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - arbrax - 04-02-2024

new series of Death in Paradise began today
I'll let you guess how the end card looked

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - thomalex - 05-02-2024

I'd love someone to have a laugh with this and put the pre-97 logo on the end card

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - AndrewP - 05-02-2024

To be honest, to my eyes, the Reith blocks still look like a hastily made mock-up of the Gill blocks two years on
I recently updated my BBC News app and whilst images are loading it still shows the Gill blocks as a placeholder which still feels 'right' even though I know it's not current..

The BBC still haven't even managed to change the logo on NBH
At the top of every hour on the News channel you have both logos in the same frame!

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Juicy Joe - 05-02-2024

Clearly, the BBC 1997 Gill Sans logo is the superior product. Let's not keeping kidding ourselves. It oozes quality and class, full of character and stature - things the 2021 redesign never will be able to pull off.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - thomalex - 05-02-2024

(05-02-2024, 08:13 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Clearly, the BBC 1997 Gill Sans logo is the superior product. Let's not keeping kidding ourselves. It oozes quality and class, full of character and stature - things the 2021 redesign never will be able to pull off.

Hmm I thought that but when I see it now the blocks immediately seem too close together and the C too large

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - interestednovice - 06-02-2024

(05-02-2024, 05:34 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  To be honest, to my eyes, the Reith blocks still look like a hastily made mock-up of the Gill blocks two years on
I recently updated my BBC News app and whilst images are loading it still shows the Gill blocks as a placeholder which still feels 'right' even though I know it's not current..

The BBC still haven't even managed to change the logo on NBH
At the top of every hour on the News channel you have both logos in the same frame!

I know, we point out the BBC’s focus on the US market on the BBC News thread, but to have updated a physical background logo on the Washington set, but to have failed to do the same at the entrance to NBH (the global HQ, let’s not forget) says a lot!

Plus every time there is a story where the BBC is either mentioned or reported on, either by it’s own News teams or other organisations, somebody is standing outside NBH and the old logo is prominently in frame.

Creating, of course, yet more archive footage which will have the “wrong” (not current at the time) logo in, years later, when it is used in documentaries and so on.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - Brekkie - 06-02-2024

The building is one thing - that's a structural element although 3 years on they should have made progress considering our tiny local office has the correct logo.

Changing an image in a graphic is a whole simpler affair - and it's on screen in branding where the BBC logo us seen most.

RE: The BBC Chameleon Thread - interestednovice - 06-02-2024

True, now I have got used to being on “Chameleon Watch” I always notice errors on screen and it’s surprising, even to me, how often you still see the wrong logo.

It’s not a structural element in a strict sense on NBH though as it’s just a sign - not something where the building will fall down if it’s removed. It wouldn’t be difficult to change, although of course on screen should be easier.

What I meant was basically that most rebrands launch with “prominent” branding quickly (or even overnight co-ordinated) replaced. The logo on the front of the HQ is certainly prominent. Didn’t ITV manage to launch their 2013 logo simultaneously over all their channels on day one? And physically with new matching ITV News sets. The BBC should be able to do the same, or at least get close.