Pres Café
Ideal Worlds Future? - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Channel Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ideal Worlds Future? (/showthread.php?tid=502)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - JasonB - 28-08-2023

I did like these curved graphics side graphics they had in the early 2000's:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0u1yj5VaDY 

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - Orry Verducci - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 09:44 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  It's always good practice to have a back up of digital data off site, that would include stuff like those recordings, as well as their presentation graphics.

Except there wasn't any data off site, not to mention video was played from tape back then.

As I recall from colleagues who were around during the fire, one of them quickly grabbed as many tapes as they could and ran out of the building with them. I think some also survived the fire.

I may not have this exactly right, but I recall them saying that for a period they were running tapes up and down the A1 to get content on air from one of NTL's (now Arqiva) facilities.

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - James2001 - 28-08-2023

Just found a discussion from Digitalspy at the time of the fire:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/5793/problems-at-ideal-world/p1 

Would be interesting to see any recordings from the time of the fire, but I imagine you'd have to rely on anything that may have been recorded by viewers at the time, as anything recorded in the studio was likely destroyed. I doubt anything exists or it would have surfaced by now.

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - Stooky Bill - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 12:14 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  Except there wasn't any data off site, not to mention video was played from tape back then.

As I recall from colleagues who were around during the fire, one of them quickly grabbed as many tapes as they could and ran out of the building with them. I think some also survived the fire.
Yes I can imagine them having the IT side of things backed up externally but their TV output was ephemeral and very much second to the selling. Even if the technology was up to it in 2001 they'd not have had much video off site.

Besides the clips they used were mostly funny clips, almost Christmas Tape material

I guess the "funny" footage may have be dubbed off for potential future use and were the easiest tapes in a place to be grabbed in the rush of evacuation.

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - Worzel - 28-08-2023

(28-08-2023, 12:14 PM)Orry Verducci Wrote:  Except there wasn't any data off site, not to mention video was played from tape back then.

I may not have this exactly right, but I recall them saying that for a period they were running tapes up and down the A1 to get content on air from one of NTL's (now Arqiva) facilities.
I think that's right. I recall a BBC Look East package the day following the fire and a reporter spoke to one of the camera operators who'd also run out of the building carrying a load of camera equipment. They even showed it all stacked up in the car park.

The fire happened late into the evening as I recall and they were on air at the time but because it was 2001 and viewers/anoraks didn't really have the same tools to rewind output or archive things back then, footage of the evacuation is probably long gone.

Would've been interesting to find out who was actually presenting on air that night as they'd probably remember more.

The main thing was everyone got out safely.

I don't think Sky+ had even launched at that point (though Tivo was around, but with very few subscribers), so it would pretty much have required someone to have been specifically recording onto VHS, which is probably not very likely.

We've got the posts on Digitalspy from the time with people talking about it "flickering between green and a test card", though where that was coming from I don't know (along with the technical difficulties caption and video statement from outside the building posted on the last page), I assume the galleries and transmission equipment got destroyed? Or maybe there was enough that survived to keep that minimal output going (though even if that was the case, I doubt anyone would have been allowed in the building to operate it, so unlikely). I guess there was some backup facility that was at least enough to put out the caption and short video.

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - Nobby - 29-08-2023

Who or what is keeping the EPG populated on Freesat and why are they or it not doing the same on Freeview?

It's just generic, the programme is called Ideal World and the description is "A selection of Ideal World repeat shows." and each programme is scheduled for a varying number of hours between 4 and 7 but someone or some process must have typed that, created the schedule and published it.

Also, a question for Orry Verducci, what is Peter Simon REALLY like?

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - Neil Jones - 29-08-2023

According to Wiki Sky+ launched in September 2001, and Sky+HD in 2006.

RE: Ideal Worlds Future? - Orry Verducci - 29-08-2023

(29-08-2023, 09:56 PM)Nobby Wrote:  Who or what is keeping the EPG populated on Freesat and why are they or it not doing the same on Freeview?

It's just generic, the programme is called Ideal World and the description is "A selection of Ideal World repeat shows." and each programme is scheduled for a varying number of hours between 4 and 7 but someone or some process must have typed that, created the schedule and published it.

That's the default entry that every hour on the EPG was automatically populated with, which we of course would replace with the actual schedule.

I was changing the EPG to read "This is Ideal World" but my access to the system has now been cut off so I can't update it anymore.

The system would let us submit EPG data far ahead of the 7 day guide that's broadcast, up to a chosen end date. When I did the last update I brought forward the end dates for Freeview and Sky, but I can't remember if I did it for Freesat, so there's a good possibility my last update went as far as now and what you're seeing is the default data that would have uploaded with it.

(29-08-2023, 09:56 PM)Nobby Wrote:  Also, a question for Orry Verducci, what is Peter Simon REALLY like?

Pete is exactly as he appeared on TV. Full of life and a genuinely lovely guy.