Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - London Lite - 09-10-2023

Catching up on ITVX, the launch show while pre-recorded worked a lot better so they could just get on with it. AJ and Will have good chemistry.

Unlike the C5 version which seemed to be cast based on the fact they had to be young and attractive, there's a decent mix of people with three older housemates helps to balance out the largely ITV2 demographic in the house which for me not being in the demo has made it a lot more watchable.

Love Island is totally unwatchable for me because of the model like casting and inane comments from the participants, but BB under ITV2 seems to have taken on board the better bits of how it was under Channel 4 and made it fresh again.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - mouseboy33 - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 12:31 AM)Jon Wrote:  I think the issue is, it’s difficult enough to get one broadcastable conversation on air at a time, let alone multiple ones. At least with something that’s being directed you’re likely to not miss the most interesting thing that they can show that’s happening at a given moment.

It’s also a question of how they should do it? Do they do each feed with groups of people that can swap around at anytime or by room that could become empty at any time? I think it’s far easier for the viewer to just have one feed and have the most interesting thing happening shown at a given time.
US and Canada have always had 4 streams and 1 quad cam. So five.  But you arent getting 4 completely separate conversations,  actually you are actually getting 2 different conversations from 2 angles and then you have quad cam with all 4 streams and the audio is panned to the left and right in the quad. Most live feeders in the BB US and Canada will pan audio channels. Wearing earbuds or headphones are the best. And there is usually a least 2 interesting conversations or more. Depending on how many people are in the house. A particularly irritating camera switcher will "affectionately"called SKIPPY on twitter. Because they will change the feed in the middle of a particularly riveting or game relevant conversation and the wrath of the live feeders will immediately appear on Twitter.

If all the houseguests are in the same room, then you get 4 different camera angles. This usually around dinnertime. In the US and Canada because its a game, a sizeable percentage of the conversation is game talk and its usually interesting if you enjoy the social strategy. So there is always something interesting to listen to most of the day.  But the problem of "dead rooms" really is not an issue in the US/Canada houses until its a couple people left in the house. With the current US game being 100days, the feeds have been mostly interesting with the exception of "Scary-verse" week. Its been picking up again.

https://x.com/bbscreenshots/status/1710835038508446059?s=20 
https://x.com/bbscreenshots/status/1710866471524446526?s=20 

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Scrotnig - 09-10-2023

I have to say the graphics, theme music, titles etc for this look fantastic. Genuinely the best in the show's entire UK history, I feel.

AJ and Will work really well as a presenting team.

Not sure the mix of housemates is entirely for me...there's still a sense that they have been chosen for shock value / conflict value. However, I'm interested enough to see how they work out, so that's something.

Launch show did feel a bit over-produced. As has been mentioned, the slow-motion aspects really made you realise it wasn't live. I feel they should have shown this sort of "as live" but with periods where nothing was happening simply edited out. This however may have led to the usual accusations of misleading viewers over a non-live broadcast that looks live, so I guess they can't win. It's a minor complaint, it was a decent launch show and sold the upcoming show very well.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Edogawa Ranpo - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 09:29 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  I have to say the graphics, theme music, titles etc for this look fantastic. Genuinely the best in the show's entire UK history, I feel.

AJ and Will work really well as a presenting team.

Not sure the mix of housemates is entirely for me...there's still a sense that they have been chosen for shock value / conflict value. However, I'm interested enough to see how they work out, so that's something.

Launch show did feel a bit over-produced. As has been mentioned, the slow-motion aspects really made you realise it wasn't live. I feel they should have shown this sort of "as live" but with periods where nothing was happening simply edited out. This however may have led to the usual accusations of misleading viewers over a non-live broadcast that looks live, so I guess they can't win. It's a minor complaint, it was a decent launch show and sold the upcoming show very well.

I do hope next year they can do a live launch, cos the one thing I miss from the original run is the little house tour Davina and Emma used to give us.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 09-10-2023

As much as I'll criticise every mistake they make that was a solid 8/10 for the opener.

Late & Live felt pointless though - just bad TV watching people you don't know discussing HMs you don't yet know. They should at least have held the first edition back a day so viewers had a bit more familiarity with the housemates.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Scrotnig - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 09:38 AM)Edogawa Ranpo Wrote:  I do hope next year they can do a live launch, cos the one thing I miss from the original run is the little house tour Davina and Emma used to give us.

Yes I'd forgotten about those....it was done to look like she'd "sneaked in" as I recall.
That would be good.

Maybe they were just a bit reticent about it being live for the first one. Perhaps if the series is successful and is renewed they might go with live next time. I hope so. I almost always prefer live stuff...even if their are glitches...just makes it more "real".

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Keith - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 09:48 AM)Scrotnig Wrote:  Maybe they were just a bit reticent about it being live for the first one. Perhaps if the series is successful and is renewed they might go with live next time. I hope so. I almost always prefer live stuff...even if their are glitches...just makes it more "real".
One noticeable edit to the intros was the sudden appearance of the massive ramp. Maybe for future series they could try to integrate the ramp into the staging a bit better, so that it could be permanently in place. Also, unless I imagined it they seemed to switch the order of 'showing the contestant intro and them getting out of the car' halfway through to being the other way around.

I guess not showing inside the house before the contestants arrived allowed for parts of it to be revealed towards the end of the programme. Being pre-recorded also allowed them to show what happened later on that evening. Previously from memories of the C4 days the first night's highlights included a lot of what you'd seen during the launch show in terms of them arriving.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - tomo359 - 09-10-2023

I did enjoy the first show, but it didn't have as much big launch excitement feel to it that previous opening shows used to. I don't think it's just the fact it wasn't live though, it just felt quite rushed, I think the first HM was in the house within 5 minutes of the show starting.
Why no house tour? I'm sure they could have still filmed a walk round the house.
Also the chat with each HM seemed very short and rushed as well, don't get me wrong I don't want a 10 minute sit down interview with each HM but it felt like they were almost shoving them into the house.

Also seemed off when they switched to having the HM arrive and enter the house before showing their VT.

I still enjoyed it though, loved Will and AJ, and the house is amazing. Shame the garden couldn't have been bigger though, when they all went outside you realise how small it is.

Regarding the housemates, it feels like they've tried to focus too much on big personalities, probably knowing it will cause more clashes and drama. Hopefully once the HMs settle in and act more themselves it will be okay though.

Late and Live felt a bit meh. I was never a huge fan of the spin off shows anyway and hopefully once we've seen more shows and they have more content to discuss it will improve.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Ash101 - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 09:38 AM)Edogawa Ranpo Wrote:  I do hope next year they can do a live launch, cos the one thing I miss from the original run is the little house tour Davina and Emma used to give us.

If they wanted to do a house tour, they’d have done it last night regardless of it being live or not. 

I do think pre-recording was a better idea. They had 16 housemates to get in there & managed to get them done in an hour because they could cut out of the rubbish inbetween. Being Live would’ve just made that all a bit more clunky.

Plus, nice idea to have the rest of the evening in half an hour of highlights at the end.

I’d never really seen him present, but for what it’s worth - Will Best showing himself to be better presenter!

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 09-10-2023

The "rubbish" cut though is exactly what make BB - the "party games" ruined the natural first introductions of the HMs too. With so many HMs sending them in groups of 4 would flow better.