Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Keith - 09-10-2023

Looks like the overnight ratings are in.
Quote:The launch show was watched by 2m on ITV1, and a further 527,000 on ITV2
Full article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67052057 

For ITV1 that feels rather low, though I could be wrong with my assumption.  It'll be interesting to see how many additional people were watching via ITVX, which I don't think is mentioned in this article.  Presumably ITV are hoping that most of those 2.5M viewers will continue watching when it's only on ITV2 (and ITVX).

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Kunst - 09-10-2023

To me that's much more acceptable and watchable than Love Island anyway.

At least it's more in touch with "real life" people

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - rick - 09-10-2023

One of the housemates, Paul, is already getting flack on social media due to homophobic and transphobic tweets in his past that people have discovered. I thought these sort of background checks were made during the application process?

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Juicy Joe - 09-10-2023

Big Brother tends to be referred to as the original reality behemoth of them all. However, I tend to remember Castaway being the pioneer of this genre of television - and more authentic with genuine interactions and relationships forming/crumbling. Big Brother came later on that year. I too feel yesterday's show was overproduced & too slick. I hope there are different voices to Big Brother as in the original series - whoever was sitting in the production suite at the time, would speak to the housemates. I fear there will be just one bloke's voice this time around.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 09-10-2023

Sad as a country we hold reality TV contestants to a higher standard than politicians.

As with politics though we should let the process take its course rather than expecting producers to kick them out, especially now with young contestants we can be talking about posts they made while still at school.

For me the best thing you can do with anyone with a history of questionable comments which suggest some kind of prejudice is put them in an environment with a diverse range of people where they can learn far more about people they wouldn't ordinarily interact with.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - DTV - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 11:47 AM)Keith Wrote:  For ITV1 that feels rather low, though I could be wrong with my assumption.  It'll be interesting to see how many additional people were watching via ITVX, which I don't think is mentioned in this article.  Presumably ITV are hoping that most of those 2.5M viewers will continue watching when it's only on ITV2 (and ITVX).
At this time of year, that's about an average BBC News at Ten. Probably in the weekly Top 50, but quite weak for a return launch show of a fairly recongisable franchise.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Nescafé - 09-10-2023

In line with our site rules, let's avoid discussion about the specifics of peoples' personal lives please.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jon - 09-10-2023

(09-10-2023, 12:12 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  Big Brother tends to be referred to as the original reality behemoth of them all. However, I tend to remember Castaway being the pioneer of this genre of television - and more authentic with genuine interactions and relationships forming/crumbling. Big Brother came later on that year. I too feel yesterday's show was overproduced & too slick. I hope there are different voices to Big Brother as in the original series - whoever was sitting in the production suite at the time, would speak to the housemates. I fear there will be just one bloke's voice this time around.
If it’s one voice I wonder if it’s AI generated?

On Castaway being before Big Brother that may well be the case (in the UK at least) but difficult to argue that it had anywhere near the same kind of cultural impact.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - eyeTV - 09-10-2023

A combined 2.5m makes it the most-watched Big Brother opener since 2012 and ITVX yet to be added on.

In the context of ITV1 I guess not great although overnight ratings are very flat these days.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 09-10-2023

Breaking 2m at 9pm is now the exception rather than the rule when it comes to 9pm content.