Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Flux - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 01:24 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Big Brother will remain an ITV2 brand but was always inevitable Celeb BB would be on ITV1.

Indeed. I’m almost certain there were reports of a period during previous negotiations when Channel 5 wanted to continue with just CBB but the costs involved meant it wasn’t viable so it was all or nothing. Not necessarily saying we have the same situation now, but it certainly suits ITV to be able to fill hours on a smaller channel with the regular show but still reap the benefits of the higher rating celebrity version on the main channel.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 01:39 PM)rick Wrote:  I was a massive fan of the C4 days, and lost interest in the C5 days (apart form the celeb versions). Are ITV now doing what C5 did with those insufferable music sequences with lots of footage with no dialogue and sticking everyone's names up over and over when they speak? I thought this was supposed to be a "back to basics" fresh start for the show, not some reboot of what C5 were doing and just putting it on a different channel.

They have overdone the music a bit but toned it down during the week - indeed often it's there but barely there, which can be more annoying than it being too loud.

Name wise though they only put them on screen for the diary room pieces.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Johnr - 16-10-2023

I did notice in some of the shows from last week it seemed as if some contestants thought they needed to wear their name badges all the time!

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 01:39 PM)rick Wrote:  I was a massive fan of the C4 days, and lost interest in the C5 days (apart form the celeb versions). Are ITV now doing what C5 did with those insufferable music sequences with lots of footage with no dialogue and sticking everyone's names up over and over when they speak? I thought this was supposed to be a "back to basics" fresh start for the show, not some reboot of what C5 were doing and just putting it on a different channel.

Love Island style music after every ad break, during tense situations, secret missions, emotional moments and nominations. It really does detract from it all for me and I don’t want to be whining about it for the sake of whining but I really haven’t gotten used to it.

Show wise it feels somewhere in the middle of the very late series on C4 and the early series on C5. Certainly not back to basics or “social experiment” vibes but I will say it’s enjoyable and the cast is one of the best in a long while. It’s essentially aesthetically a C5 series but a lot more bearable. 

They have done a lot of it well though despite my gripes - I’m especially impressed is how interactive the show is now. Votes are now free which is great and the response has been really impressive. It’s a long way from the later Channel 5 days where there was whispers from behind the scenes that they were *allegedly* getting <1K votes sometimes.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jon - 16-10-2023

I think you can hardly expect the production style to be 100% the same as it was originally. Much of the target audience will be far more used to Love Island and probably won’t remember pre-Channel 5 Big Brother. The Channel 5 version gets a lot of stick but even if it had stayed on Channel 4 the style would have no doubt changed throughout the years.

Perhaps on Channel 5 they overdid it, I only watched a couple of celebrity ones over there so can’t really comment. But the fact is if you put out a show that was the same as the first couple of series of Big Brother people would get very bored very quickly. I don’t think ‘back to basics’ extends to the look and sound of the show that has to be intended for the expectations for todays audiences.

It’s similar to how the presentation of Strictly Come Dancing is much more stylish than the show it was originally based on.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Gary Baldy - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 03:40 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think you can hardly expect the production style to be 100% the same as it was originally. Much of the target audience will be far more used to Love Island and probably won’t remember pre-Channel 5 Big Brother. The Channel 5 version gets a lot of stick but even if it had stayed on Channel 4 the style would have no doubt changed throughout the years.

Perhaps on Channel 5 they overdid it, I only watched a couple of celebrity ones over there so can’t really comment. But the fact is if you put out a show that was the same as the first couple of series of Big Brother people would get very bored very quickly. I don’t think ‘back to basics’ extends to the look and sound of the show that has to be intended for the expectations for todays audiences.

It’s similar to how the presentation of Strictly Come Dancing is much more stylish than the show it was originally based on.
16-34 is the target audience.

So that’s people who were born as recent as 2007 (wow- they’re 16 already?), and as far back as 1989.

Big Brother’s C4 time ended in 2010- the 1989ers would have been 21 at the time which seems just about the right age to be in to it, and they’ve been in the target audience since 2005- BB6….

A lot won’t remember the social experiment days of the C4 version but I think to say they won’t remember the C4 version full stop is an exaggeration.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 16-10-2023

I don’t think anyone is expecting BB1 levels of back to basics here - but I just think they could tone some of the elements down to make them more palatable and less corny.

I’m supposedly a member of the Love Island generation and my friend group has been watching the new series of BB. The consensus seems to be that we’re enjoying it but there is some really cringey and patronising parts of the editing that we could do without (i.e. the music).

It’s understandable that they’re doing what they’re doing with this initial series to take the least risks as possible and ensure it’s a success with the usual ITV2 crowd - but I really do think it’s worth thinking about that the people who watch Love Island and the people who are interested in watching Big Brother might be different groups of people and I hope this is something that’s developed upon as the series evolves. I think there’s a wider appeal to be well… appealing to.

My other point is probably that with the 16-34 year old group now, some of the original series (especially say 3,5-7) feel more fresh and appealing to that age range than what it does now, as much as this reboot is as decent as it is. The other thing about C5’s era was that there wasn’t actually a lot of young people watching because of how tacky it was… so I’m really eager for them to avoid a lot of that.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - XIII - 16-10-2023

CBB is less of a commitment for ITV1 at only three weeks although if it flopped then it could go to ITV2 for the next series.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - what - 16-10-2023

I know we can't expect them to be perfect after 10 years, but has anyone else noticed the second to last slide of the credits breaks ITV's guidelines? The names and titles are both in Reem Bold.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Johnr - 17-10-2023

I am an episode behind, just caught up with the Sunday episode...

Found it really 'odd' how the edit did a complete 360 degree turn from showing some (perhaps minor but still) brewing tension over alliances that are forming and food to all of a sudden a secret challenge for a massive jar of sweets followed by the producers deciding to just seemingly at random deploy the dreaded cliche of photos from home...seriously? They've only been away from home a week!