Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - mouseboy33 - 17-10-2023

So overall whats everyone's thoughts on ITV's version in a nutshell. Are you all Yay or Nay?

So whilst i will always appreciate the UK versions production values, the music, graphics, house,....i find the daily edited programme, the after show, and multiple (Civilian/Celeb) series a year..... its just too much to keep up with for me personally. Last version I actually enjoyed was CBBUK 17 that featured Tiffany Pollard. She was the star of that season. Hilarious. And she ate up all the housemates. Especially Gemma Collins. I guess I prefer the strategic versions of Big Brother.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97pEKGNT0Xw 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzZY8_8qw4U  (Language warning)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - L1_ - 18-10-2023

I'm enjoying it so far. I think the casting has been good this series and the daily shows are enjoyable. The first live eviction didn't feel like a big 'event' as it did previously, and I think would benefit from being extended to 90mins.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 18-10-2023

(17-10-2023, 11:40 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Well exactly, this was not the first new series of a show barely anyone remembers. It was supposed to be a big comeback of an iconic show and was promoted as such every since that first teaser aired last summer. The media were all over it pre-launch but the only coverage it's had since is the news about Celeb BB!. TikTok is all very well but I find it had to imagine ITV would not have been hoping for the show to have made a buzzier impact. If they're fine with it, fair enough but i'm not sure anyone want Big Brother to be just doing ''ok'' on their channel. It's supposed to be the zeitgeisty show everyone is talking about.

There is a buzz - on social media. The thing the target audience of the channel and show use. People are talking about it. It’s outperforming this year’s Love Island by a decent amount and I’m imagining the on demand pickup of the show will have been very decent. It’s all very good news for ITV2 and I really can’t see them giving up on this in too much of a hurry.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 18-10-2023

Obviously social media is tailored to what you are supposedly interested in but I've seen Big Brother all over it yet for Love Island barely saw anything all summer. The clickbait is there too, but perhaps you have to look for it a bit more now or rely on the algorithms to assume you're interested in it.

The ratings seem to have settled now around the 800k-1m mark which in the context of very few shows at 9pm topping 2m is pretty decent, and the demos are very good. ITV2 is a natural fit for it. Celebrity Big Brother always bought in a different type of viewer and interest so makes sense for that to run on ITV1 and it should feed in a bit to the next ITV2 series too, though I'd much rather they aired that in the Spring (even if immediately after Celeb BB) than as seems to be the plan keep it in the autumn slot.

On the whole though I've stuck with this much longer than I stuck with any C5 series - but have noticed over the last couple of days Marcus picking up his own habit of inserting descriptive words into his narration rather than just saying who they are and where they are. We don't need him to conclude that housemates are "gossiping", "confused" or "eyeing up" each other. It's up to us to see the footage and make our own conclusions.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 18-10-2023

(18-10-2023, 12:59 AM)orange Wrote:  There is a buzz - on social media. The thing the target audience of the channel and show use. People are talking about it. It’s outperforming this year’s Love Island by a decent amount and I’m imagining the on demand pickup of the show will have been very decent. It’s all very good news for ITV2 and I really can’t see them giving up on this in too much of a hurry.

But why does it not feel as omnipresent as Love Island did at its peak? It felt so much bigger and inescapable....which was why so many people got such a weird chip on their shoulder about it.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 18-10-2023

Maybe that's by design though? I think generally speaking now you can avoid a show if you want to and embrace yourself in it 24/7 if you want to.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Alessi - 18-10-2023

(18-10-2023, 11:49 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  But why does it not feel as omnipresent as Love Island did at its peak? It felt so much bigger and inescapable....which was why so many people got such a weird chip on their shoulder about it.

I think you've answered your own question there a little with the phrase 'at its peak". Big Brother had an omnipresent buzz when it was at its peak. But now it's...something different. People are used to what it is, so I don't think it would create a 'buzz' unless something shocking or negative happened. It seems to be successful and I think it can continue to be without it being inescapable. 
I think by it's very nature a celeb version would probably create more of a 'buzz' in some respects depending on who is featured (e.g. if someone like Phillip Schofield took part)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - tellyblues - 18-10-2023

(18-10-2023, 11:49 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  But why does it not feel as omnipresent as Love Island did at its peak? It felt so much bigger and inescapable....which was why so many people got such a weird chip on their shoulder about it.

People get annoyed with Love Island because its success is mainly down to people having hardly any clothes on, which is not something looked favourably upon in society nor is the celebration of it. The Big Brother equivalent would be contestants fighting all the time and that isn't an acceptable form of entertainment either.

Love Island is down on numbers as well as general buzz but there are just a few months between each series now. It's complete overkill which does the show no favours. BB has only just returned so no surprise that people are more excited about that. It's said to be doing well for ITV but given LI's self-inflicted decline and also factoring in that the bar for what is considered a success these days is too low (IMO), the success of this series of BB is perhaps being overestimated.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 18-10-2023

I do find the social media side of it all really quite interesting - their official account is getting viral TikToks nearly every day. I know that doesn’t equal viewers but I think it’s a really decent sign… Before the series began the ads were sort of inescapable and after liking a couple of videos about it my whole feed was almost entirely videos about it for a couple of days. A bit overbearing, but I think with the target audience in mind that sort of almost onboarding experience is really quite effective. It’s all down to the algorithm trying to suss out if you’re interested or not like Brekkie said.

I’m also finding that I can talk to a lot more people about it as if it’s water-cooler TV again too - you used to get people shocked that it was still on TV if you mentioned any of the C5 era. It’s all very surprising - it’s making me more and more interested in seeing the ITVX figures. I think a daily show can be quite a commitment in this day and age which is why we’re seeing what we’re seeing with the overnights right now and it’s natural to see people dip in and out of it as they please.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Kim Wexler’s Ponytail - 18-10-2023

(18-10-2023, 01:16 PM)Alessi Wrote:  I think you've answered your own question there a little with the phrase 'at its peak". Big Brother had an omnipresent buzz when it was at its peak. But now it's...something different. People are used to what it is, so I don't think it would create a 'buzz' unless something shocking or negative happened. It seems to be successful and I think it can continue to be without it being inescapable. 

If they want it to just quietly do the business then sure, there is absolutely no reason it cannot coast along. But do you really think that is what ITV were hoping for? They could have just rebooted The Circle instead. What is the point in rebooting Big Brother if you are not hoping to replicate the noise that came with it?