Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Gary Baldy - 23-10-2023

The great thing about this revival was giving it to Will Best. In recent years, there’s been something of an overreliance on people who are already household names being given shows, which just begs the question of how new household names are supposed to emerge, so I’m glad they took a chance on a relative unknown.

I know he’s presented the odd thing here and there before, he’s very experienced (more than I realised) but this is his first *big* gig.

Looks like he started his career out on T4- it’s a shame the likes of T4 (and “youth” TV/children’s TV) died out because that’s where the overwhelming majority of today’s household name presenters started out. Vernon, Dermot, Ben Shephard etc from T4. Holly, Stephen, Tess, Schofe, Andi Peters from children’s TV and Saturday morning shows. There’s not really a place where new presenters can emerge hence most of these gigs going to presenters who are either a) already at household name status, or b) have bags of experience under their belt. There needs to be that little testing ground that there once was, because it’s lacking now, and you can find stalwarts like Will from it.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - ckck1704 - 23-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 01:07 AM)JosiahStuart Wrote:  That or they could’ve adopted the BB eye that’s being used internationally.

No, that would strip the show of it's identity.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 23-10-2023

I think making the main show have two hosts was a bit of a mistake though. They both flourish a lot more when they’re hosting BBLL independently but when they’re hosting the main and side show together I find it awkward, and I don’t think it really works. I don’t think it’s anything they’re doing wrong either though - especially on eviction nights it seems like ITV likes them to stick to the script and that’s it, there’s no real chance for them to shine through in that case.

It’s still early days though - at the moment there’s definitely not that Davina (or Emma) vibe of being able to interact with the audience and ad-lib a little more freely.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jameseh - 23-10-2023

(22-10-2023, 08:36 PM)ckck1704 Wrote:  I do wish they designed a new base eye for the new series, just as channel 5 did.

I assume the eye shape they project on the river side of the building and the knock-off CBS logo centerpiece will carry through ITV series.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 23-10-2023

(23-10-2023, 02:07 AM)Kunst Wrote:  Nah, just leave the eye alone Big Grin.

If ain't broke, don't fix it

The current eye is very broke. How they’re using the CBS style motif is the only reasonable part about it. I would love them to go back to the Eatock eye - not just because of nostalgia but that is a bit of legendary design and they’re ridding it for whatever this current Gill Sans car crash is.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - AaronLancs - 23-10-2023

Big Brother Theme - New (Possible) Remix

Don't know how many subscribe to Paul Oakenfold's Planet Perfecto Radio & Podcast but this little interesting tidbit has dropped in the latest episode today (October 23rd 2023). I've downloaded on my tablet and will listen later on but thought it would be of interest as Perfecto Records (Oakenfold's label) have only released the main "master" version of the theme so far:

[Image: PERFECTOA.png]
[Image: PERFECTOB.png]

Link to podcast episode:
https://traffic.libsyn.com/clean/secure/oakenfold/PlanetPerfecto_PaulOakenfold_677.mp3?dest-id=13439 

There are many other eyes that would do a better job. For example, the eye used on the Israeli version is my personal favourite.
This eye has had no variants over both the channel 2 and channel 13 incarnations, but the eye has some sort of personality. It has been developed as a character and mascot rather than just a symbol, Which is why i have a soft spot for this one.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jon - 23-10-2023

I think one of the things they’ve got right is eye they’re using, regardless of whether we like how they’ve themed it this series. It instantly looks like Big Brother eye. That Israeli eye isn’t really in the spirit of the ones UK that have gone before, it’s very generic and wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste.

The franchise eye, feels like it could work for the UK version too. Although I’m pretty sure they used it for on the mugs in the corporate shopping task.

I think it’s the best the UK producers keep full creative control over the look of the UK show:

(23-10-2023, 10:54 PM)Jon Wrote:  I think one of the things they’ve got right is eye they’re using, regardless of whether we like how they’ve themed it this series. It instantly looks like Big Brother eye. That Israeli eye isn’t really in the spirit of the ones UK that have gone before, it’s very generic and wouldn’t be to everyone’s taste.
Do agree that it's not really in the spirit. But making the eye a character like how it is depicted on the Israeli series would be a good way to make the logo a bit more entertaining, similar to this example here:

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jon - 24-10-2023

The live feed is disappointing. It does seem to be completely random what they let slip through. You can understand the birdsong for legal and compliance reasons but they seem to be using it to avoid putting any potential spoilers for the highlights show on the feeds. This seems counter productive surely if anything interesting goes out on the live feed it’s going to be picked up in the press and generate interest for the next nights highlights show.

Some nights it’s been mainly birdsong, so it becomes unwatchable. If they kept birdsong to a minimum I think it could be a big driver to ITV X, but you’d imagine people are getting very bored and not coming back.