Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 04-11-2023

The subtitles for this series have been atrocious. They had somebody doing it live for the first 2 weeks for all episodes and it was unacceptably bad and still is for the live shows.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 04-11-2023

I was pleasantly surprised though to see the live feed is subtitled - automated I think and I can't say how accurate they are but with all the birdsong etc. makes it easier to watch with the subtitles.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 04-11-2023

They’re also not great unfortunately. I was very excited to see there were subtitles on there too - I’m happy they’re there but as someone who needs them they’re extremely sloppy and they miss out about 50% of all dialogue.

I’m assuming it’s someone like a stenographer rather than being automated - it’s excusable when it’s the live feed but when it’s the actual live shows and 90% of the show is a pre-recorded episode it’s really not good enough.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - gottago - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 12:41 AM)Nobby Wrote:  It's very clear to me that someone high up at ITV was sitting behind the person writing the subtitles and tapped them on the shoulder whenever they wanted the deaf community to remain ignorant of something.
Nonsense. You really think someone would’ve made an editorial decision like that in 2 seconds?

No one editorial is involved in the subtitling of any show. 

(04-11-2023, 11:57 AM)orange Wrote:  They’re also not great unfortunately. I was very excited to see there were subtitles on there too - I’m happy they’re there but as someone who needs them they’re extremely sloppy and they miss out about 50% of all dialogue.
I’m assuming it’s someone like a stenographer rather than being automated - it’s excusable when it’s the live feed but when it’s the actual live shows and 90% of the show is a pre-recorded episode it’s really not good enough.
The highlights are regularly edited right up to just before broadcast so live subtitles are often the only way.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Ash101 - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 12:46 AM)orange Wrote:  The subtitles for this series have been atrocious. They had somebody doing it live for the first 2 weeks for all episodes and it was unacceptably bad and still is for the live shows.
Are they now in sync for the highlights episodes? I gave up with the subtitles after noticing that in the first week. Even Love Island manages properly synced subtitles for every episode.

(04-11-2023, 01:25 PM)gottago Wrote:  Nonsense. You really think someone would’ve made an editorial decision like that in 2 seconds?

Yeah I agree, I think it was probably missed because that sentence wasn't very clear from Paul... they were starting to speak over each other as he said the 'wind them up' comment.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - bilky asko - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 01:25 PM)gottago Wrote:  Nonsense. You really think someone would’ve made an editorial decision like that in 2 seconds?

I think that was precisely the point Nobby was making

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - gottago - 04-11-2023

(04-11-2023, 01:33 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  I think that was precisely the point Nobby was making

Oh. Went over my head then, sorry!

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - radiorebel - 05-11-2023

I can actually give a bit of insight into this as someone who has worked on the programme on C5 days. A lot of the time the programme was played out live due to the swift turnaround of the edit. I distinctly remember one time when each part was being finished as it played out and we were worried we wouldn’t make part 4 in time. Thankfully we did, lawyers would regularly hold up the celebrity edition meaning the edit would be played out live almost every night.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - radiorebel - 05-11-2023

(05-11-2023, 12:35 AM)radiorebel Wrote:  I can actually give a bit of insight into this as someone who has worked on the programme on C5 days. A lot of the time the programme was played out live due to the swift turnaround of the edit. I distinctly remember one time when each part was being finished as it played out and we were worried we wouldn’t make part 4 in time. Thankfully we did, lawyers would regularly hold up the celebrity edition meaning the edit would be played out live almost every night.

Further edit: one celebrities agent was in close contact with the lawyers and busted into the production suite uninvited demanding that the episode be cancelled due to their clients actions. Probably shouldn’t be telling you all this but my NDA expired in 2020.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - ckck1704 - 05-11-2023

Another blunder, announcement for family guy into late and live.