Pres Café
Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX (/showthread.php?tid=57)

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - MorganLamia - 06-11-2023

Continuing on others' discussion on censorship/editing manipulation -

Obviously things have to be cut down to fit the edit, but these parts are pretty strongly indicative of Jenkin's disgusting and very horrible personality (Tom and Olivia too since they approve of his actions). None of this made the main show, just the live feed.

https://twitter.com/softmiumiu/status/1721237666757300701 
https://twitter.com/ANACHlLLES/status/1721242833443500145 

I've seen many people on socials complaining about it, saying that the show is intentionally manipulating the edit to make him mainly come across as just cheeky and funny in an attempt to skew the public's opinion. I personally wouldn't go that far (it's not like he's got any chance of winning in my eyes), but I do believe that things like the above should be in the main episodes as it does show his strong character, and viewers should know that when it's in such a negative aspect of him that affects the other housemates.

Those feelings are probably made worse by a lot of the reactions to last week's eviction of Paul and Dylan, as many, myself included, strongly felt the AJ and Will treated them too softly in their interviews.
Of course they weren't going to tear them apart, but other than one or two incredibly light mentions of their very negative behaviour throughout the entire series, they were treated overly nicely in a quite hollow way. For example, Paul seemingly was a pretty bad guy that seemed to spend most of his time being horrible to the other housemates. In the interview? A video compilation of his farts as he laughs hysterically at himself.
It's one of the few things about this series that I've disliked. I was a big fan of the show from episode #1 of the original Channel 4 series, and closely followed it for a short while into the Channel 5 era, which I then dropped out because of how much the show leaning into a strong Love Island flavour with the choice of housemates, the editing, the music etc.

I'm glad that this series seems to have dialled the Love Island-ishness down quite a bit, but I still miss the Channel 4 and early Channel 5 days where they (seemed) to get across people's personalities in the main show, Big Brother's Little Brother, and the eviction shows when Davina and Emma would show the housemate their bad behaviour, and push them on it to give them a chance to explain their actions and reflect on it. It just felt more genuine and interesting than a generic outpouring of love for them as soon as they leave the house, with just a very, very light hint of "You were naughty!" jokes at the most.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jon - 06-11-2023

I don’t understand it because Jenkin being mean about the birthday cake was good television as would have been Chenelle and Tom talking about sabotaging tasks, as opposed to the next day house mates from both sides talking about how nice she was an how she deserved immunity.

The fact this has been pointed out probably just means the live feed will be even more censored in future.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 06-11-2023

It really shows why the live feed needs to be 24/7 - and whilst the question of editing has always been there I've always thought of it as being in addition to the broadcast show, not necessarily material for it.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Andrew - 06-11-2023

The fact they had to cover two days of material including the aftermath of the double eviction, the most significant eviction so far at that, the Hunger Games challenge, Jenkin’s party and the Jordan/Henry fall out all in one programme probably didn’t help, hence lots got left on the cutting room floor

Have they always not aired a show on a Saturday night in the Channel 4 & 5 eras?

I know Love Island doesn’t, and they attempted to not do with I’m a Celeb until it received a massive backlash, so I was wondering if it was just an ITV thing?

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Brekkie - 06-11-2023

C5 didn't air a Saturday show for the last series, but extended the Sunday show to 90 minutes I believe. There was also at least one of the later C4 series that didn't have a Saturday show - and other than an omnibus in the first couple of years the early C4 ones didn't either.

I do think it's the right call - gives viewers the night off if they want it and if they don't some earlier live feed action than normal, which is a nice alternative. The Saturday highlights were always by far the lowest rated of the week and it's main event was usually what you'd seen live 24 hours earlier.

I do think on the whole they're right to pick up from post-eviction but they shouldn't be stuck to that routine - this week I feel we missed out on the "morning after the night before" of the big argument that took place on Friday. They did at least extend by 15 minutes last night, the first time I felt a show benefitted from such an extension.

Ideally on eviction night they'd make better use of the extra 15 minutes they usually get by including a segment in the final part with highlgihts from earlier in the day of housemates preparing for eviction. They used to do a quick turnaround segment in the days when the eviction show was split to show some key moments the final hour or two between the announcement and actual eviction, so no reason it couldn't be done here. Would mean viewers not feeling like they're missing an entire day.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Nobby - 06-11-2023

I agree with MorganLamia, either show Jenkin creating the skid marks or close the whole thing down.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - UTVLifer - 07-11-2023

These housemates really aren't learning their lesson when it comes to ruling breaking via discussing nominations - and it's brilliant!

https://x.com/bbuk/status/1721961187250724967?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - DeMarkay - 07-11-2023

(07-11-2023, 07:49 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  These housemates really aren't learning their lesson when it comes to ruling breaking via discussing nominations - and it's brilliant!

https://x.com/bbuk/status/1721961187250724967?s=46&t=uYc2nILLUU7TByduAbmbxg 

Absolutely... f****** glorious! They deserve it, the horrible and vile four.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - Jon - 07-11-2023

It might actually help that group if it splits up the voting.

RE: Big Brother - Returns 2023, ITV2/ITVX - orange - 07-11-2023

Given Olivia already broke the rule before I wonder if that will also automatically put her up. In that case surely the most nominations will be heading Tom and Chanelle’s way.