Pres Café
Good Morning Britain - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Good Morning Britain (/showthread.php?tid=60)

RE: Good Morning Britain - DavidWhitfield - 29-09-2023

For comparison:

Previous name graphic style (capture taken from Thursday's programme):

[Image: GMBName1.png]

Reworked name graphic style (capture taken from this morning's programme):

[Image: GMBName2.png]

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 29-09-2023

So have they changed the design so they can included every contributers relationship status alongside their occupation now?

RE: Good Morning Britain - PATV Scunthorpe - 29-09-2023

I do wonder whether it's a small fix towards the technical issues they've been having with the graphics. Since the discussion began on here about the constant need to use the back up ticker, I've looked through a couple of editions and have noticed that when that happens the story straps often tend to stop working for a period as well, which considering the story and name straps were part of the same graphic, meant you couldn't credit anyone, so by separating them again (as they used to be) they can at least show a name if everything else stops working.

On another note, one thing I did noticed when I skimmed through Tuesday's edition, was this intriguing error where the logo disappeared followed by what looks like a command prompt displayed over the live images… (apologies for the phone capture, as I'm sure we all know, capturing ITVX is not a simple task.)
https://up.metropol247.co.uk/092023/1696006293_785625776.mov 

RE: Good Morning Britain - Neil Jones - 29-09-2023

(29-09-2023, 05:52 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  On another note, one thing I did noticed when I skimmed through Tuesday's edition, was this intriguing error where the logo disappeared followed by what looks like a command prompt displayed over the live images… (apologies for the phone capture, as I'm sure we all know, capturing ITVX is not a simple task.)

ITVX should work on a desktop browser, and then OBS Studio is your friend for screen capturing. Other software solutions are available. Probably.

That text looks like whatever generates the logo rebooted for some reason (they look like boot messages from some flavour of Linux, you can see those sort of messages when you power up Raspian on a Rasperry Pi, not that they would be generating that from a Pi of course...

RE: Good Morning Britain - cable - 01-10-2023

Linux terminal output. At a guess its some NAS, error 113 is no route to host so whatever it was trying to access was unreachable at the time.

RE: Good Morning Britain - DavidWhitfield - 03-10-2023

Another day of issues with the ticker.

[Image: 385496027_621618830136833_43175545397737...e=65433B70]

Either they've just taken on a new staff member who doesn't know their way around the system yet, or the recent graphic changes have somehow knackered something somewhere - or both - but they need to try and get a handle on it, as it's becoming a daily occurrence at the minute.

RE: Good Morning Britain - DavidWhitfield - 11-10-2023

GB News is rightly criticised here for its lack of balance - people with connections to the Conservative Party interviewing fellow Conservatives is never going to lead to a fair and balanced interview and it shouldn't happen. However, I must note that I would argue the same principle should apply on the other side of the political spectrum, too. I see that on this morning's GMB, Labour leader Keir Starmer is being interviewed by former Labour politician and Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls. I think, while everyone will undoubtedly have their own politics, impartiality is important in news coverage and any personal leanings or views should never be apparent, whether red, blue or anything in between.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Andy - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 07:46 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  GB News is rightly criticised here for its lack of balance - people with connections to the Conservative Party interviewing fellow Conservatives is never going to lead to a fair and balanced interview and it shouldn't happen. However, I must note that I would argue the same principle should apply on the other side of the political spectrum, too. I see that on this morning's GMB, Labour leader Keir Starmer is being interviewed by former Labour politician and Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls. I think, while everyone will undoubtedly have their own politics, impartiality is important in news coverage and any personal leanings or views should never be apparent, whether red, blue or anything in between.

I partially agree. However, the main difference is that GB News features sitting MPs interviewing other sitting MPs from the same party - which is inappropriate.

There is a long history of MPs becoming journalists, going back to the early 1900s (for example, CP Scott edited the Manchester Guardian until he died, but I admit - newspapers are different from TV news).

I don't have a problem with former MPs becoming journalists, as long as they are balanced and impartial. They have to pursue some career after politics. Ed Balls on GMB seems to be fair and unbiased, from what I've watched. But I'm happy to be corrected on that.

RE: Good Morning Britain - leewilliams - 11-10-2023

(11-10-2023, 07:46 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  GB News is rightly criticised here for its lack of balance - people with connections to the Conservative Party interviewing fellow Conservatives is never going to lead to a fair and balanced interview and it shouldn't happen. However, I must note that I would argue the same principle should apply on the other side of the political spectrum, too. I see that on this morning's GMB, Labour leader Keir Starmer is being interviewed by former Labour politician and Shadow Chancellor Ed Balls. I think, while everyone will undoubtedly have their own politics, impartiality is important in news coverage and any personal leanings or views should never be apparent, whether red, blue or anything in between.
The problem with that is you’d lose a fair few prominent, proper journalists - Lewis Goodall, for instance, was a Labour activist and Nick Robinson famously a Young Conservative chairman before they began their media careers. Particularly in the case of Robinson, I’ve never detected any bias in his holding to account of Tory ministers - in fact he usually gives them both barrels.

There is a difference between people whose political allegiances have been public in the past and sitting MPs interviewing their own government representatives.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 11-10-2023

Agree with both of you there - I don't agree at all with Ed Balls interviewing the Labour leader, even if he is now an ex-MP, but do agree that GMB take a professional rather than partisan approach in their use of him.

Is the question too of when an ex-MP or non-elected politicians does move into journalism (the two industries very much intertwine after all) how long exactly should it be until an ex-MP is respected as an independent journalist. I suspect many household names probably dabbled more in politics in their youth before eventually deciding to report on it rather than be part of it. Is a huge difference though between an ex-shadow chancellor, party leader or government minister than a student whose career in politics ended before it began.