Pres Café
Good Morning Britain - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Good Morning Britain (/showthread.php?tid=60)

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 27-12-2023

It really wasn't an issue in the end considering they had an issue and resolved it in the manner they saw fit. For all we know it might have been a completely unrelated issue anyway - someone might have forgot to press record! Big Grin

Kate may not have minded but a good boss wouldn't put her in that situation where she'd have to agonise over what's the right thing to do when she has much more important things to do.

P.S. Obviously not for this situation but assume GMB has some kind of emergency tape ready to go should they ever fall off air as we've seen happen previously with This Morning and other ITV shows (think it was The X Factor a few years back).

RE: Good Morning Britain - AaronTV - 27-12-2023

(27-12-2023, 09:55 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well this shows once again the problem when you build your show around a certain collection of hosts - flexibility is needed.

I may sound cold, but I feel GMB could have continued with their two hour special, and simply added little announcements before each hour if they had to, and I am sure Kate would have been fine with it.

I know how it is to have family members seriously ill - I have been there, even myself, I was in hospital in 2017 near to death, I know what she must be feeling now, so I am not cold hearted here.

If the original show was recorded prior to the very sad change in Derek’s condition, Kate presumably would have been her usual bubbly self and the show would have had an upbeat, cheery Christmassy tone as it does each year.

The idea that you could simply just press on and air that anyway, whilst Derek’s circumstances have become common knowledge in the two weeks since it was recorded, would be hugely insensitive and I for one am glad ITV did not.

Given that everyone knows how serious Derek’s condition is, the whole thing would come across as really quite strange for Christmas Day, with no way of acknowledging the change in Derek’s condition since recording it.

Even if you emphasised several times that the program is pre-recorded, poor Kate would most likely get a huge amount of unfounded criticism by appearing to not be with Derek - so clearly there is a duty of care aspect to the decision too with today’s social media climate in mind.

In all, far kinder and more respectful of Kate and her family to do what they did.

RE: Good Morning Britain - freeview87 - 27-12-2023

There's also the likelihood that Derek was mentioned in the special. Overal a good call to not air the one already recorded.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 27-12-2023

Talking about mentions it was pre-recorded is worth noting the whole thing went out with something like "This programme is pre-recorded" on the ticker which seemed a bit unnecessary to point out really.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Pips2022 - 27-12-2023

Given that Mail Online today confected a ‘story’ about Holly Willoughby’s ‘shock return’ to TM (which was simply the repeating of an old interview from the summer) ITV possibly also didn’t want to give the online tabloids anything to generate Kate clickbait (‘Kate Makes First TV Appreance Since Hubby Illness’ etc etc)

RE: Good Morning Britain - UTVLifer - 27-12-2023

(27-12-2023, 11:40 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Talking about mentions it was pre-recorded is worth noting the whole thing went out with something like "This programme is pre-recorded" on the ticker which seemed a bit unnecessary to point out really.

I remember they did that in 2020 when they first did the Xmas Day shows, but didn’t have the ‘this is pre recorded’ tag for the 2021 and 2022 shows

The studio was also not decorated as much as it usually has been for the Xmas Day shows this year

RE: Good Morning Britain - JMT1985 - 28-12-2023

Well maybe this will give ITV a hint to not bother with recorded daytime shows for Christmas morning - if you are wanting a Christmas Day GMB, then do it live, like BBC did with Noel Edmonds live Christmas morning show in the 80s.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Andrew - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 12:16 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well maybe this will give ITV a hint to not bother with recorded daytime shows for Christmas morning - if you are wanting a Christmas Day GMB, then do it live, like BBC did with Noel Edmonds live Christmas morning show in the 80s.

There was nothing wrong with the recorded Lorraine and This Morning editions

RE: Good Morning Britain - Neil Jones - 28-12-2023

(28-12-2023, 12:16 AM)JMT1985 Wrote:  Well maybe this will give ITV a hint to not bother with recorded daytime shows for Christmas morning - if you are wanting a Christmas Day GMB, then do it live, like BBC did with Noel Edmonds live Christmas morning show in the 80s.

If Noel Edmonds jumped off a cliff should ITV do that as well?

Anyway where does it say GMB has to be live on Christmas Day?

RE: Good Morning Britain - Spencer - 28-12-2023

(27-12-2023, 10:08 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  P.S. Obviously not for this situation but assume GMB has some kind of emergency tape ready to go should they ever fall off air as we've seen happen previously with This Morning and other ITV shows (think it was The X Factor a few years back).

They certainly did back in 2015 when there was a fire alarm at TLS…

https://youtu.be/hBu3cz84QW8?si=q-jw2Sa1FPES5OJv