Pres Café
Good Morning Britain - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Good Morning Britain (/showthread.php?tid=60)

RE: Good Morning Britain - Joe - 05-01-2024

I do find these kinds of comments interesting; often when people die their obituaries pick up on ALL their lives and not just the great bits, yet usually it goes unremarked upon and it’s only when a family member is also well known that it’s seen as unfair.

RE: Good Morning Britain - callumwatchestelly - 05-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 09:43 PM)mark Wrote:  Very sad news. The ITV News online story gets into the negative points from his political past fairly quickly, which feels quite distasteful and disrespectful to Kate and the rest of his loved ones.

https://www.itv.com/news/2024-01-05/kate-garraways-husband-derek-draper-has-died-aged-56 

Crazy to me how them first few lines got approved. Why on earth would you mention a dead person's controversies at the beginning of an article about them passing away?

RE: Good Morning Britain - mark - 05-01-2024

The issue for me is that the reason for Derek currently being well-known enough for news coverage is that he was Kate's husband and someone who suffered terribly as a result of Covid. Dredging up things from his past so prominently feels inappropriate under those circumstances and surely has the potential to cause unnecessary distress for his family.

But I'm conscious that this doesn't really have anything to do with Good Morning Britain presentation, so I'll leave it there.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Stockland Hillman - 05-01-2024

The fact he's the spouse of someone famous isn't why he had a report on BBC News, its mainly his very significant role in new Labour. That's why its reported from that perspective, and the stuff that's being covered is extremely mild. The fact he was very much viewed as a hyper aggressive partisan figure isn't highlighted, nor have the targets of his work, but many senior people in news will have had personal experience of his political style and be aware that a glowing soft focus report isn't appropriate.

The BBC report was a fair, considered and well crafted piece of work. Sometimes journalism isn't binary good/bad, it's reflective of complex and contradictory human life.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Andrew - 05-01-2024

The obituary on the Ten was much softer than the one used on the One and focussed more on his life with Kate and less on his political career, a lot of the political stuff was cut out

Maybe it was noted within BBC News that it needed to be a bit softer

I don’t know which one was used on the Six and which one some here are commenting about

RE: Good Morning Britain - Reith85 - 06-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 11:18 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The obituary on the Ten was much softer than the one used on the One and focussed more on his life with Kate and less on his political career, a lot of the political stuff was cut out

Maybe it was noted within BBC News that it needed to be a bit softer

I don’t know which one was used on the Six and which one some here are commenting about

Not wishing to prolong this debate but again, I would reiterate that the original report on the News at One was not the cold, harsh report that it is being made out to be: as I typed before, it was book-ended by scenes from Caring for Derek, and his and the family's struggles with Covid, and it ended with the typically sombre and respectful darkened image of Draper as Jane Hill reiterated the news of his passing. It was suitably deferential in this context and I personally didn't find it at all disrespectful or different from any other obituary report of a public figure that you'd see on a BBC News bulletin.

I also don't feel that the equivalent report on the BBC News at Ten this evening was significantly different: yes, some of the political detail had been taken out in favour of a short tribute clip from This Morning, together with Helen Catt referencing the tributes today from Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, but you still had the detail about his lobbying-past and it was pretty much the same content-wise in other terms as the report on the News at One, again with the book-ended clips from Caring for Derek and again with the fade to the darkened image of Draper.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 06-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 10:58 PM)mark Wrote:  The issue for me is that the reason for Derek currently being well-known enough for news coverage is that he was Kate's husband and someone who suffered terribly as a result of Covid. Dredging up things from his past so prominently feels inappropriate under those circumstances and surely has the potential to cause unnecessary distress for his family.

But I'm conscious that this doesn't really have anything to do with Good Morning Britain presentation, so I'll leave it there.
The distress for the family will come from his death, not the reporting of it. The respect comes from remembering Derek when it comes to reporting on his death, not his wife. I suspect Kate would prefer it that way too.

As for the latter matter I appreciate the mod team letting the discussion run rather than taking a hard line on it - sometimes letting the members say what they need to say on a more personal matter is more important than ensuring they strictly follow the rules. That's what makes place like this a community rather than just a forum.

RE: Good Morning Britain - freeview87 - 06-01-2024

(05-01-2024, 11:01 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  The fact he's the spouse of someone famous isn't why he had a report on BBC News, its mainly his very significant role in new Labour. That's why its reported from that perspective, and the stuff that's being covered is extremely mild. The fact he was very much viewed as a hyper aggressive partisan figure isn't highlighted, nor have the targets of his work, but many senior people in news will have had personal experience of his political style and be aware that a glowing soft focus report isn't appropriate.

The BBC report was a fair, considered and well crafted piece of work. Sometimes journalism isn't binary good/bad, it's reflective of complex and contradictory human life.

If he hadn't had Covid and died I very much doubt he'd have got a full report, a fleeting mention at best.

I think it's a given there will be tributes on Monday's GMB.

RE: Good Morning Britain - AaronTV - 20-01-2024

The large curved screen behind the presenters looks like it might be starting to reach the end of its life, I caught some of the show yesterday and the backdrop looked quite pixelated.

I don’t think it helps the backdrop they’re using is very heavily edited and looks pretty washed out. The screens by the sofa area have never really looked quite right, but the main backdrop always used to look very sharp.

It’s quite something to think that they’ve been at TVC for quite a lot longer now then they were at TLS with the original set, so I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the tech could do with an upgrade.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Cashton06 - 20-01-2024

The screen has been on its way out for ages sometimes a while ago blue box would appear by St Paul’s and whenever they do the news stood up you can see it flickering if the background is darker

I never really got why they got a straight desk but kept the curved screen tho tbh it looked kinda off on wides