Pres Café
Good Morning Britain - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Good Morning Britain (/showthread.php?tid=60)

RE: Good Morning Britain - Pips2022 - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 06:23 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  What about Sean Fletcher or Richard Gaisford to cover Ben? Potential appearances for Paul Brand, Rob Rinder and Martin Lewis.

I think Ed and Susannah work very well together and maybe Richard could be a stand in.

I think if any of these folk had had ‘cut through’ and that indefinable X factor they’d be a shoo-in….the likes of Richard Gaisford or Paul Brand just don’t have it I feel. Clearly they’d give it to Martin Lewis if he wanted it. Feel like Rob Rinder should have been a lot better than he’s been.

Conversely there probably is a fairly unknown male reading the news somewhere who could do it really well (Ben wasn’t especially famous on joining GMTV), and could generate chemistry with his female co-host. Neil Thompson should have the confidence to make long-term fresh stars, rather than folk who bring a small spike in publicity on day one.

RE: Good Morning Britain - UTVLifer - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 08:06 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I think if any of these folk had had ‘cut through’ and that indefinable X factor they’d be a shoo-in….the likes of Richard Gaisford or Paul Brand just don’t have it I feel. Clearly they’d give it to Martin Lewis if he wanted it. Feel like Rob Rinder should have been a lot better than he’s been.

Conversely there probably is a fairly unknown male reading the news somewhere who could do it really well (Ben wasn’t especially famous on joining GMTV), and could generate chemistry with his female co-host. Neil Thompson should have the confidence to make long-term fresh stars, rather than folk who bring a small spike in publicity on day one.

One of the problem with Rob Rinder IMO is that he works very well onscreen with Susanna, but not so much with others (such as Charlotte this morning). Richard Gaisford is an alright newsreader but his strengths are in reporting from location not sitting in the the studio

Meanwhile, I'd imagine Paul Brand is being groomed for the inevitable ITV News succession post-GE when Peston eventually steps down after nearly a decade as PolEd

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 02-02-2024

10 years and 73 prime ministers! Big Grin

I do wonder if they've made an approach for Dan Walker. Seems an obvious choice but now he's doing Classic FM Breakfast seems unlikely.

RE: Good Morning Britain - AaronTV - 02-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 08:06 PM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I think if any of these folk had had ‘cut through’ and that indefinable X factor they’d be a shoo-in….the likes of Richard Gaisford or Paul Brand just don’t have it I feel. Clearly they’d give it to Martin Lewis if he wanted it. Feel like Rob Rinder should have been a lot better than he’s been.

Martin Lewis would be such a perfect fit, his expertise could help shift the program’s emphasis on news with inane debates more towards news with genuinely helpful advice and tips (almost like a newsy morning version of his money show). With the election coming up he and Ed Balls would both be real assets.

RE: Good Morning Britain - ACTV - 03-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 09:56 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  Martin Lewis would be such a perfect fit, his expertise could help shift the program’s emphasis on news with inane debates more towards news with genuinely helpful advice and tips (almost like a newsy morning version of his money show). With the election coming up he and Ed Balls would both be real assets.

Absolutely, the debates, whilst undeniably the core feature of GMB, feel pointless now. Under Piers Morgan, Good Morning Britain was very much a brash and assertive programme - it was his aggressive attitude during debates that brought the show headlines.

These days it's being led by a team who are noticeably not as domineering, therefore they don't really get the publicity they were once getting. That is not necessarily a bad thing, I found Piers-era GMB and the negativity that often brewed to quite frankly be quite a gloomy start to the day, and whilst it is still fundamentally a serious news programme both Richard and Ed do have somewhat more warmth.

A programme providing “helpful advice and tips” would certainly be preferable and more useful than the debate format which GB News and TalkTV are doing mostly the same of now, not to mention both of those channels have involved a certain someone who notably worked on Piers-era GMB.

RE: Good Morning Britain - DavidWhitfield - 03-02-2024

I loathe those debates.

"Would you use pet shampoo on your own hair?" - "debated" by a woman who writes an online blog and some fella who was on The Apprentice three years ago.

What a waste of air time.

RE: Good Morning Britain - qwerty123 - 03-02-2024

(02-02-2024, 09:56 PM)AaronTV Wrote:  Martin Lewis would be such a perfect fit, his expertise could help shift the program’s emphasis on news with inane debates more towards news with genuinely helpful advice and tips (almost like a newsy morning version of his money show). With the election coming up he and Ed Balls would both be real assets.

Ed Balls is probably still too close to the Labour Party (more through his wives current position than his former career at this point) to be an asset during an election campaign.
The level of scrutiny any presenter is under during a campaign is going to be heightened compared to normal but someone in Ed’s position wouldnt be able to do much more than breathe without claims of bias from certain quarters.

RE: Good Morning Britain - Keith - 03-02-2024

Martin has previously made it clear that isn't going to happen. His day job amongst other things is the MSE website. He has however previously done stints of one day a week.

With Ed Balls the issue is that his wife is likely to become Home Secretary after the next general election (assuming polls are correct). I dare say his involvement could help secure a couple good interviews, ala GB News. However, he may be keen to avoid headlines along the lines of "Home Secretary's husband criticises her policies on air".

RE: Good Morning Britain - Brekkie - 03-02-2024

I think if he wasn't a former key Labour figure himself it might be OK, although it is a grey area. On the one hand you shouldn't define a person by their spouses role, but on the other you absolutely do. Is it possible though he might stand himself for election this time though?

I do think regardless of his politics I'm not convinced Ed Balls is the man for the job anyway. I think that's the problem with their main guest hosts - none of the are quite right. Richard Madeley perhaps has the best credentials but can't really shake the Alan Partridge tag.

Chances are in the short term (so probably 2-3 years) we'll just see the current arrangements remain in place for the beginning of the week and then all female partnerships at the back end of the week.

RE: Good Morning Britain - AaronTV - 03-02-2024

(03-02-2024, 11:55 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Chances are in the short term (so probably 2-3 years) we'll just see the current arrangements remain in place for the beginning of the week and then all female partnerships at the back end of the week.

From what I’ve seen they don’t seem to really do female partnerships at all anymore, they seem to have really gone off the idea in the last few years.

So if they don’t go for a permanent host set up, I think the end of the week would become a bit of a free for all with Susanna/Kate/Charlotte and a guest male host.

As others have said, I do think they should look at some more unknown or different names, even if it’s just for holiday cover. If Richard, Ed, Adil etc all end up doing more regular days to cover Ben’s absence, they’ll end up needing more hosts to cover when they are away.