Pres Café
BBC News Reforms - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Reforms (/showthread.php?tid=619)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BBC News Reforms - AM160 - 02-12-2023

Quote:I doubt the breakfast presenters will do the one, they wake up too early they will have been at work for 12 hours or something maybe by the time the 1 starts.
they don't start as early as you think... It would be entirely feasible to do the One as well, but I doubt that'll happen. 

Quote:Has anything been said about Morning Live in relation to the extension to Breakfast. I think we've all assumed it'll run 9.30-10.30 so they can drop the half hour edits of the daytime shows that usually air at 10.45am, but I've not seen any confirmation of this.
not heard a peep about Morning live.. the 0930-10-30 slot makes sense though

RE: BBC News Reforms - all new phil - 02-12-2023

I’d say Breakfast plus the One is unlikely. I sometimes have a 4/5am start and by lunchtime I’m practically a zombie. I think we’ll see an extra name added to the Salford/Breakfast pool and they’ll share it between them.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Brekkie - 02-12-2023

And of course it may suit one of the second tier of network presenters (so anyone other than Sophie or Clive really) to have the guarantee of a regular gig on what is still a flagship bulletin even if it means relocating to Salford rather than be in the pool for what will be even less slots in London.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Rolling News - 02-12-2023

Not sure if I’ve missed it but is there any word on when these reforms will start, for all of Breakfast, Newsnight and News at One?

AM160 - AM160 - 02-12-2023

Quote:I’d say Breakfast plus the One is unlikely. I sometimes have a 4/5am start and by lunchtime I’m practically a zombie. I think we’ll see an extra name added to the Salford/Breakfast pool and they’ll share it between them.

The studio/gallery crew  will almost certainly do breakfast and the One, it’s actually not that much of a stretch 
It’s unlikely a breakfast presenter will do the One more because of the brand identity rather than hours. 
There may well be a new face, a current face may move, someone, somewhere will have a plan…. Hopefully…

RE: AM160 - qwerty123 - 02-12-2023

(02-12-2023, 09:01 PM)AM160 Wrote:  The studio/gallery crew  will almost certainly do breakfast and the One, it’s actually not that much of a stretch 
It’s unlikely a breakfast presenter will do the One more because of the brand identity rather than hours. 
There may well be a new face, a current face may move, someone, somewhere will have a plan…. Hopefully…

Whilst there isn’t currently much overlap between the breakfast and bulletin presenters (although Tina Daheley does occasionally present both) there has in the past been much more overlap. Louise Minchin, Sian Williams, Kate Silverton and Simon McCoy regularly appeared on both whilst Breakfast was in London and Nicholas Owen was a pretty regular relief presenter on both in the early Salford years.

RE: BBC News Reforms - RDJ - 03-12-2023

I'm guessing with the One moving to Salford, we will see the likes of Naga, Charlie, Sally and Jon heading the One with one presenter holding back til the afternoon. As rightly identified in the post above, we regularly saw Breakfast presenters on the One and the Six in the TVC days.

Potentially Roger and Annabel from NWT may make an appearance too. It would seem quite silly for them to ship the likes of Ben Brown or Jane Hill up to Salford just to present the One, but stranger things have happened I guess.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Brekkie - 04-12-2023

I'd say it was a rarity we saw Breakfast presenters do the One when it was still in London. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but it was hardly a regular thing.

The show had a dedicated stand in with Darren Jordan during the Anna Ford era. I think there was a period when Louise Minchin may have been a regular relief presenter on both, but that was before Louise became a regular presenter on Breakfast. It looks like Kate Silverton had stints on both too, but as relief and maternity cover on Breakfast and then moved on to be maternity cover and then relief cover on the One.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Rolling News - 04-12-2023

I think it was the Six that had the most crossover with Breakfast when it was still in London. Certainly in the 2000s - Dermot Murnaghan, Bill Turnbull and Sian Williams frequently covered the Six whilst being main presenters of Breakfast. In fact, I think Bill and Sian were the Friday presenters of the Six after the 2003 relaunch after doing Breakfast on the same day.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Radio_man - 04-12-2023

The Guardian are reporting that the BBC will get a below inflation rise to the license fee next year, when it was originally agreed in January 2022 that from next year the license fee will rise with inflation.
I think it's safe to say from the comments from the culture secretary and the PM in this article, if the Tories were to win the GE next year (which is thankfully highly unlikely) the license fee would be scrapped.

But it makes you wonder what's left to cut now. I think we're into the realms of whole services and channels being cut and closed down.

Maybe the UK-opt out of the News Channel will go altogether, but if that were to happen, I should imagine that the News Channel would cease broadcasting in the UK altogether, with the channel only left broadcasting outside of the UK on a purely commercial basis.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2023/dec/04/bbc-set-to-receive-below-inflation-rise-in-licence-fee