Pres Café
BBC News Reforms - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Reforms (/showthread.php?tid=619)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BBC News Reforms - DTV - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 02:05 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Maybe the UK-opt out of the News Channel will go altogether, but if that were to happen, I should imagine that the News Channel would cease broadcasting in the UK altogether, with the channel only left broadcasting outside of the UK on a purely commercial basis.
I think this a stretch. Even if the actual opt-outs got scrapped, the actual cost of providing a separate UK stream is so fairly minimal that they'd just end up running that in the UK (the reasons that prevented such an occurence in the past having disappeared). Plus, the core output of the new channel is a) funded from both pots (because long-term viability of World was also an issue) and b) isn't exactly light on UK news.

Also, I doubt News will be particularly touched by the next round of cuts. It's been heavily affected by cuts in the last two years, in a particularly visible way, so there will be less pressure to extract further cuts from News - it's been seen to do 'its bit', even if that was after years of getting off lightly in certain respects. Many of the recent cuts are also to some degree 'future proofed', with an eye on further income reductions.

Presumably means they're keeping the 30' pre-record slot rather than the 45'. I wonder if some of those mid-morning daytimes will end up being pushed back into the afternoon, but I suppose they're such a different vibe to the rest of BBC One daytime these days.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Transmission - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 03:22 PM)DTV Wrote:  Presumably means they're keeping the 30' pre-record slot rather than the 45'. I wonder if some of those mid-morning daytimes will end up being pushed back into the afternoon, but I suppose they're such a different vibe to the rest of BBC One daytime these days.

If you're talking about BBC One mornings, it'll be all 45 minute slots after Morning Live.

Something at 10:45 (Rip-Off Britain in the first week), Homes Under the Hammer at 11:30 and Bargain Hunt at 12:15.

No sign of any of the morning stuff moving to the afternoon.

RE: BBC News Reforms - XIII - 04-12-2023

Homes Under the Hammer is an hour so I would guess the 1045 slot will still be the half hour programmes .

RE: BBC News Reforms - Transmission - 04-12-2023

They probably will mix and match in that way, but certainly in the first week of January when this first goes live, it's the 45 min edits of HUTH.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Radio_man - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 04:15 PM)Transmission Wrote:  They probably will mix and match in that way, but certainly in the first week of January when this first goes live, it's the 45 min edits of HUTH.
Extended Breakfast & One and Newsnight cut to 30 mins is happening as soon as 4 weeks time? Won't these plans need to go to statutory consultation with the unions?

(04-12-2023, 05:24 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Extended Breakfast & One and Newsnight cut to 30 mins is happening as soon as 4 weeks time? Won't these plans need to go to statutory consultation with the unions?
AFAIK, only the Breakfast changes are happening in January. News at One will presumably happen once Doctors finishes towards the end of 2024 and Newsnight has no date attached.

RE: BBC News Reforms - JMT1985 - 04-12-2023

Does anyone know how well does BBC News Channel do in the ratings? Is it really needed anymore?

We are not living in 1997, pre millennium world anymore, very few of us watch news channels anymore - maybe BBC World News being the sole news channel and end the BBC News Channel would help.

ITV News closed down their news channel, and it didn't really harm them.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Former Member 237 - 04-12-2023

I think the entire news channel will go altogether by the end of the decade.

RE: BBC News Reforms - m_in_m - 04-12-2023

(04-12-2023, 06:07 PM)DTV Wrote:  AFAIK, only the Breakfast changes are happening in January. News at One will presumably happen once Doctors finishes towards the end of 2024 and Newsnight has no date attached.

Presumably the One moves to Salford and is extended at the same time?