Pres Café
BBC News Reforms - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Reforms (/showthread.php?tid=619)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BBC News Reforms - Andrew - 29-11-2023

Is this hour long BBC News at One as well as the regional news or including it?

Unless you are retired I’m not sure anyone has time to watch the news from 1pm until 2:15pm

I fear it’ll become like an hour of the news channel, no extra reports just twice as long spent on each story, so every story involves long winded interviews

There is also the question of what happens to the staff both on screen and not who currently make the One in London

RE: BBC News Reforms - Matrix - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 06:12 PM)DTV Wrote:  Very unfortunate, but ultimately hard to see what can be done (other than certain people's unhinged belief that all the rest of BBC output should be sacrificed to keep BBC News in stasis).

As I've said before, the reformatting of Newsnight is ghastly and valueless and it'd be better just to axe it outright and use the saving elsewhere. If I can guarantee one thing, it'll be that the new version will not 'high quality' or 'consequential'. Considering once-upon-a-time the BBC broadcast longform world reporting on BBC Two in addition to Newsnight, the axing of Our World is a further sign of how far BBC News' scope has fallen in the last two decades.

On the other hand, I fundamentally don't care if the News at One moves to Salford. "It's a box ticking exercise" "It'll make no difference to the viewer". And? Those boxes still have to get ticked as part of the BBC's charter and public service obligations and this is an easy way of doing it that will make little difference to the viewer.

On the money, and exactly where my head is at. 

I think, fundamentally, the issue here is around the loss of long form and impactful journalism because that's the sort of work that takes time. As nice as AI correspondents and responding in the moment is (and it is), I'd argue that there has to be a mix. That has today been sidelined in favour of yet another panel discussion. 

As for Salford, I'm firmly in favour of that. There is a certain logic to have a block of programming from one area. It already has numerous teams there so why not try doing something outside of London.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Stooky Bill - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 05:46 PM)GMc Wrote:  Am I right in thinking that the relocation of the BBC News at One to Salford is to help meet "out of London" production quotas, which will be reduced due to the axing of Doctors, which is made in Birmingham?
When this was rumoured a few months ago (and discussed here) the idea was that it saves money as it's production would be combined with that of Breakfast. 

That has a production team and crew based in Salford just for Breakfast and there's a production team in London for the One o Clock News. By doing them both from the same location they can share production team and crew. That doesn't necessarily mean that someone will start at 4am and work through to 2pm (although that is only 10 hours so doable) but the rota will cover both programmes. 

That flexibility isn't possible now, they can't rota a producer on a shift in Breakfast on Monday and the One on Tuesday, the rotas are seperate.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Andrew - 29-11-2023

I wonder if the One will change format, i.e turn into an hour of Breakfast at lunchtime - presenters on the sofa, light items in the second half hour, chats with weather and sports presenters etc

RE: BBC News Reforms - m_in_m - 29-11-2023

One thing will be interesting to see is if this means a permanent TV weather presenting shift in Salford or if the weather on the One will be down the line on a regular basis.

RE: BBC News Reforms - JMT1985 - 29-11-2023

What is the point of moving the BBC News at One to Salford? A bit like ITV Lunchtime News moving to Leeds - pointless.

A one hour lunchtime news ... yes, remind me, wasn't that a ratings disaster for ITV Lunchtime News around 2005? No one wants a one hour lunchtime news.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Roger Darthwell - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 07:46 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  What is the point of moving the BBC News at One to Salford? A bit like ITV Lunchtime News moving to Leeds - pointless.

A one hour lunchtime news ... yes, remind me, wasn't that a ratings disaster for ITV Lunchtime News around 2005?  No one wants a one hour lunchtime news.
It's moving to Salford so that it will share production with Breakfast........and I have to say it, I just find it completely bonkers that the News at One has to share it's production with Breakfast......surely the production of the One should have been shared with the News at Six and the News at Ten

RE: BBC News Reforms - dvboy - 29-11-2023

BBC News at One being extended to an hour will force them to do something long overdue about Wimbledon scheduling.

RE: BBC News Reforms - eyeTV - 29-11-2023

Well the BBC News at One already has a massive audience, isn't it the biggest share of any programme? It didn't harm ITV's Evening News when they extended.

I wonder if ITV will make any changes as the One will completely overlap the ITV Lunchtime news and it will also push Morning Live into a This Morning overlap.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Stooky Bill - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 07:46 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  What is the point of moving the BBC News at One to Salford? A bit like ITV Lunchtime News moving to Leeds - pointless.

A one hour lunchtime news ... yes, remind me, wasn't that a ratings disaster for ITV Lunchtime News around 2005?  No one wants a one hour lunchtime news.
It's not pointless, it's to save money... see my post above. 

There's currently 45 minutes of news at lunchtime, another 15 isn't that much more (assuming that the regional news is included in that hour which I think it will be). Whether there's an audience for it isn't as important for the BBC of course, what is it that it's 15 minutes of airtime for very little extra money.