Pres Café
BBC News Reforms - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC News Reforms (/showthread.php?tid=619)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

RE: BBC News Reforms - Brekkie - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 07:54 PM)dvboy Wrote:  BBC News at One being extended to an hour will force them to do something long overdue about Wimbledon scheduling.

They've never responded to the need so far so doubt anything will change though may just be a shorter bulletin those weeks.

Olympics wise it's probably more beneficial to switch to BBC2 for an hour/1h15m that for 45 minutes.   Feels less disruptive when the chanbel changes are for longer periods.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Spencer - 29-11-2023

This is a bit of an odd post from BBC North…

https://x.com/bbcnorthpr/status/1729877897715024140?s=46&t=118mt-31gBN-8Ts8pwH4Vw 

I presume by ‘new studio’, they mean the current studio rather than Breakfast moving again.

RE: BBC News Reforms - DTV - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 09:12 PM)Spencer Wrote:  This is a bit of an odd post from BBC North…

I presume by ‘new studio’, they mean the current studio rather than Breakfast moving again.
Almost certainly. I think the first six months is still 'new' enough to be called the new studio, especially considering how long they intend the sets to last.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Spencer - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 09:54 PM)DTV Wrote:  Almost certainly. I think the first six months is still 'new' enough to be called the new studio, especially considering how long they intend the sets to last.
It’s just the way they make it sound like it’s part of the changes that’s a bit odd.

RE: BBC News Reforms - JAS84 - 29-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 08:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  They've never responded to the need so far so doubt anything will change though may just be a shorter bulletin those weeks.

Olympics wise it's probably more beneficial to switch to BBC2 for an hour/1h15m that for 45 minutes.   Feels less disruptive when the chanbel changes are for longer periods.

Yeah, ITV cut their 6.30pm news back to half an hour where needed, for example when the football or rugby are on. I can see the BBC just doing the same thing with the News at One.

RE: BBC News Reforms - harshy - 30-11-2023

Does that mean the regional news disappears from 1:30pm?

RE: BBC News Reforms - Rolling News - 30-11-2023

Does anyone remember the period when News at One was extended to 40 minutes in about 2015? Was there a purpose for this as I don’t think it lasted for very long?

RE: BBC News Reforms - Brekkie - 30-11-2023

I'd forgot about that - think it was because the regional news was cut to 5 minutes as resources were put into a 15 minute post-Ten bulletin instead, so they filled by expanding the One, which I think just took the sports news to fill the time. IIRC the nations retained a 15 minute lunchtime bulletin so opted out at 1.30pm.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Omnipresent - 30-11-2023

Mark Urban referred to the cuts at Newsnight after the paper review (where it was mentioned on the i) pointing out the new format would be without many staff and describing it as a personally very sad day.

RE: BBC News Reforms - Independent - 30-11-2023

(29-11-2023, 03:45 PM)arbrax Wrote:  Dropping the investigative films may be the worst idea to ever come out of these cuts - I get that Panorama will still exist (for now...) but it's not the same thing
How are the investigations on Newsnight different from Panorama's? I ask because I'm a former World viewer and am wondering what the differences are.
(29-11-2023, 04:30 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  If they want to have decent 'discussion' around the day's stories, but with BBC correspondents instead of anybodies.. maybe they should just be screening Newscast every single evening instead.
The French news channels have mastered televised radio. France info does that for a small proportion of their programming. Don't know why the UK services haven't considered that.
(29-11-2023, 04:37 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  I know there has to be cuts, but I do think they are in danger of damaging the BBC News brand. 
[...]
My biggest bug bear of all is this talk of a digital BBC. It’s now becoming increasingly clear to me that the current BBC big wigs want to move the BBC to become online only.
[...]
 Yes viewing figures are going down for traditional methods however they still make up a large part of how the BBCs audience access their content. As so often seems the case, the BBC have become obsessed about accessing the bbc digitally even if it isolates huge numbers of its current audience. [...] attract a younger audience. What ends up happening is the changes annoy large numbers of the BBCs loyal audience who begin to swap their loyaities who are never replaced by enough of the audience the bbc is chasing.
When a public broadcaster executive mentions "digital first" and the like, it's a red flag. But tbf other places seem to do a better job. FAST channels in the US and DR in Denmark actually launched an online news channel recently. With the BBC (and other English public broadcasters), "digital first" just means dumb down and poorer quality. The BBC's news website is one gigantic embarrassing dumbed down click bait site in order to (allegedly) appeal to young people. The management of the BBC News has been a mess for a while. It's hard to believe funding issues alone are behind the sharp decline in the quality of the BBC. From what I'm reading about the UK services, it seems those in charge have little interest in quality public broadcasting content, interested in clicks and not interested in helping people understand complex issues.