Pres Café
Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Online Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era (/showthread.php?tid=655)

Pages: 1 2 3

Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era - CATV - 18-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 05:02 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  Yes, I see your point.

This “trying to be modern” approach can get quite silly when taken to extremes though, as it arguably has been here.

With BBC Sounds being the in thing now, building off your example about podcasts, the BBC haven’t rebranded “BBC Radio 1” as “BBC Sounds 1” (because “radio is old hat”), for example. We would probably all think it was a bad idea if they did. But that’s how I view the equivalent of UKTV rebranding as U&

BBC Radio1 is like BBC One as in they both won't exist in the future. How the future of radio will look is still up in the air. Will it be more like podcasts or will the BBC launch a stream called "BBC Sounds 1". Time will tell. TV and Radio are dying but they are no dead yet. We are in a transitioning period and broadcasters have to make the move otherwise they get left behind. The focus has to be the future brand not the past.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - interestednovice - 19-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 04:25 PM)CATV Wrote:  BBC Radio1 is like BBC One as in they both won't exist in the future. How the future of radio will look is still up in the air. Will it be more like podcasts or will the BBC launch a stream called "BBC Sounds 1". Time will tell. TV and Radio are dying but they are no dead yet. We are in a transitioning period and broadcasters have to make the move otherwise they get left behind. The focus has to be the future brand not the past.

I disagree with you. The idea that “live” audio or video content will cease to exist is not something I think likely. Exisiting brands could become digital-only, as Radio 5 Live Sports Extra (for example) already is and has been since launch. Just because it’s a “digital” station, it isn’t “not radio”.

There is also no need whatsoever to ditch well-established brands. Replacing Radio 1 with “Sounds 1” would make no sense.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - bbctvtechop - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 02:52 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  There is also no need whatsoever to ditch well-established brands. Replacing Radio 1 with “Sounds 1” would make no sense.

Agreed, but technology will help get to a point where we have "personalised radio" through an Internet connection, Spotify style.

Live presenters but the music is played virtually by the online service. The presenters know they have (eg) 3:27 of time between this link and the next link, then 3:52, then 2:59, etc etc. They start and stop talking at the appropriate times, and the service plays the music based on your preferences and listening history to fill the gaps. This could even be done as part of a traditionally broadcast show, where the presenters play the music (of the same durations) for the linear broadcast FM/DAB/etc, and only their voice goes to the online services.

I'm surprised Absolute haven't already trialled this - their decades format would work well, as all you need to do is find a suitable song that is (eg) 4:01 in duration from each decade and have your playout system trigger them all simultaneously for broadcast on the different stations.

You could be listening live to Zoe Ball but listening to classical music in between, for example.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Brekkie - 19-01-2024

Just because it could be done doesn't mean there is a demand for it. Can't see many wanting to listen to classic music in between Scott Mills talking about Taylor Swift.

Curating by algorithms will narrow your viewing/listening too - and ultimately the broadcaster will always have content they want to push - and to become a mainstream hit you need to attract the people who ordinarily wouldn't choose to watch/listen to such a show.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Robert Williams - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 08:27 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  I'm surprised Absolute haven't already trialled this - their decades format would work well, as all you need to do is find a suitable song that is (eg) 4:01 in duration from each decade and have your playout system trigger them all simultaneously for broadcast on the different stations.

Isn't this exactly what they are already doing, on the breakfast show at least, and have been since 2014?

https://media.info/radio/how-to/how-absolute-radios-playlist-choice-at-breakfast-works 

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Spencer - 19-01-2024

(19-01-2024, 08:27 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  I'm surprised Absolute haven't already trialled this - their decades format would work well, as all you need to do is find a suitable song that is (eg) 4:01 in duration from each decade and have your playout system trigger them all simultaneously for broadcast on the different stations.

Absolute actually do do exactly this at breakfast and drive. So Dave Berry’s breakfast show is going out live, with the same links, simultaneously on all the decades stations, just with different music on each.

[Edit: Robert beat me to it]

My main issue with this, is it prevents the presenter telling you anything about the music you’re listening to. I’ve always believed talking about the music is an important part of music radio.

RE: UKTV to become 'U' - Joe - 19-01-2024

Yes, and as hinted by Brekkie above, it limits the conversation between songs, and who you can interview.

Edit: bloody clever though

RE: Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era - thomalex - 19-01-2024

(18-01-2024, 04:25 PM)CATV Wrote:  BBC Radio1 is like BBC One as in they both won't exist in the future.

I disagree. I can certainly see less mainstream channels closing but having live, linear channels you can just switch on will always have a place IMO. There is something in a shared experience you get with live TV/radio that isn't replicated with streaming services.

RE: Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era - Keith - 19-01-2024

I think there's probably a broader argument along the lines of which will remain on FM (and MW), which will remain on DAB/DAB+, and which will exist only via apps.

If I recall correctly AM transmissions are more expensive than FM, amongst other issues. I believe the BBC has announced they'll end all MW/LW transmissions by 2027. It's already been announced that Radio 4 LW will end in March, with it's dedicated programming moving to R4 Extra and R5 Sports Extra. As for 5 Live I've not seen any specific dates mentioned, apart from 'before Dec 27'. Presumably they're yet to decide whether to try and fit it into an FM frequency or move it to DAB, the latter might be politically sensitive.

With FM it looks like the DCMS announced that there would be no switch off before 2030. Hopefully by then all new devices will support DAB+. Presumably when the time comes BBC may have to use the older DAB frequencies for at least it's current FM stations to ensure it's stations can be received by as many people as possible.

On Freeview I could envisage some radio stations moving to app only, due to the increase in devices supporting Freeview Play (and in time Freely). It could be argued that the BBC radio stations could be provided on Freeview via the BBC Sounds app instead.

RE: Future of 'Radio' Stations in Streaming Era - LargelyALurker - 19-01-2024

I’ve always been surprised that nobody has come up with a way to listen to a radio programme with your own music - ie a Spotify playlist. For entertainment radio, as opposed to music radio, it could work well.

Why can’t my breakfast show be Dave Berry’s links, my playlist, Radio Forth news and BBC world news on alternate hours with me opting out of travel news? It’s not a million miles from where we are, but would be a big improvement IMO.

In terms of live radio more generally, it’s here to stay in some form I’m sure. There’s no beating a live DJ, listener interaction and it just being ‘there’, one button (on/off) on my radio just gives some form of entertainment; that’s pretty great.