UKTV to become 'U'

Yes, I see your point.

This “trying to be modern” approach can get quite silly when taken to extremes though, as it arguably has been here.

With BBC Sounds being the in thing now, building off your example about podcasts, the BBC haven’t rebranded “BBC Radio 1” as “BBC Sounds 1” (because “radio is old hat”), for example. We would probably all think it was a bad idea if they did. But that’s how I view the equivalent of UKTV rebranding as U&
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • chaose, GeeTeeKay474, LargelyALurker, Roger Darthwell

(17-01-2024, 11:02 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  I tend to agree with you. A lot of companies do seem to be obsessed with “moving on” from their existing brands, which makes no sense. Mastercard altered the version of their logo which appears on cards, for example, to no longer include the text “Mastercard” because they were “moving beyond cards”. It’s just quite silly, in my view.

TV, at it’s core, just really means home viewing (or anywhere viewing) media, contrasting with cinema content - although even that line is being blurred with streaming services producing original films. It doesn’t have to be “broadcast”, it’s still TV on demand.

The MasterCard logo isn't the best example, as their Venn diagram logo is very recognisable as theirs.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • orange

(18-01-2024, 11:36 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  The MasterCard logo isn't the best example, as their Venn diagram logo is very recognisable as theirs.

I get more 'McV' vibes from this rebrand to be honest.
www.designweek.co.uk 

Quote:‘Consumers accept an abbreviation to McV without question,’ says Design Bridge design director Lee Cook. ‘[McV] allows the brand to be more relevant and contemporary without losing any of its credentials,’

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 10 users Like WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, ethanjbrady, GeeTeeKay474, Happy2001, insert_good_username_here, orange, TesTVWhirl, warbler

I won’t eat any biscuits unless they have a relevant and contemporary brand.

(18-01-2024, 11:40 AM)WillPS Wrote:  I get more 'McV' vibes from this rebrand to be honest.
www.designweek.co.uk 

You knew their hearts weren't quite in it when they still had the full name directly above the shortened one.

Reminds me a bit of "Sky Sports News HQ" where clearly the idea was to rename it Sky Sports HQ (remember it moved to the top of the sports section?) but they got cold feet and ended up with the clunky compromise name.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, LargelyALurker

(18-01-2024, 12:06 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  You knew their hearts weren't quite in it when they still had the full name directly above the shortened one.

Reminds me a bit of "Sky Sports News HQ" where clearly the idea was to rename it Sky Sports HQ (remember it moved to the top of the sports section?) but they got cold feet and ended up with the clunky compromise name.

In fairness, that was what happened in those heady days of renaming stuff to align brands internationally, I can remember similar happening with Opal Fruits/Starburst, Jif/Cif, that air freshener which changed its name etc... it would almost have been stranger if they didn't.

The hugeness of the stupid McV name on the packet belied a different perceived issue tho... it also probably helped accelerate its downfall as it forced itself in to view. I expect 'U&Dave' will be similarly received. It's almost like something they'd rebrand to for Valentines Day in their own self deprecating fashion.

chatps.com

(18-01-2024, 12:39 PM)WillPS Wrote:  In fairness, that was what happened in those heady days of renaming stuff to align brands internationally, I can remember similar happening with Opal Fruits/Starburst, Jif/Cif, that air freshener which changed its name etc... it would almost have been stranger if they didn't.

Well yes, but that was changing the name completely, McV was just an abbreviation of their full name. In the case of Marathon/Snickers, Opal Fruit/Starbust, Jif/Cif then yes you want the customer to know it's the same product with a new name.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Of course Opal Fruits and Starburst are NOT the exact same, as Opal Fruits was Orange, Strawberry, Lemon, and Lime, while Starburst is Orange, Strawberry, Lemon & Lime, and Blackcurrant. They now co-exist.
www.dailyrecord.co.uk 

Ignore the thumbnail saying limited edition - that article's from 2020 but they were definitely on sale a few months ago.

(18-01-2024, 02:08 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Of course Opal Fruits and Starburst are NOT the exact same, as Opal Fruits was Orange, Strawberry, Lemon, and Lime, while Starburst is Orange, Strawberry, Lemon & Lime, and Blackcurrant. They now co-exist.
www.dailyrecord.co.uk 

Ignore the thumbnail saying limited edition - that article's from 2020 but they were definitely on sale a few months ago.

Of course this is actually way off topic now but they were the exact same product at the time of the branding change. The flavour changes happened in the decade or so after.

chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko

So we can try and direct this one back on topic about the U& rebranding, I've moved the wider discussion on the future of how 'radio' may be considered in the streaming era into its own topic here now:-

pres.cafe 
[-] The following 3 users Like Frappé's post:
  • interestednovice, London Lite, Spencer