Pres Café
The TV Gameshow Thread - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The TV Gameshow Thread (/showthread.php?tid=66)

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - iloveTV1 - 12-08-2023

(11-08-2023, 04:31 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Wasn't the prize £100,000 previously?

There was a cash prize at the start I think but it was quietly dropped at some point after the first couple of series.

I also notice that, in the ITV Autumn Presspack, it referred to Deal or No Deal being broadcast weekly.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Score - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 06:41 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  There was a cash prize at the start I think but it was quietly dropped at some point after the first couple of series.

I also notice that, in the ITV Autumn Presspack, it referred to Deal or No Deal being broadcast weekly.

I don’t think The Voice has ever had a cash prize before, I think it’s just been the record deal.

It will make little difference at this stage of the show’s life but with none of the winners achieving chart success, the cash prize and holiday does at least mean there’s a tangible point to winning, for the audience as much as the contestants.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Ash101 - 12-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 06:41 AM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  I also notice that, in the ITV Autumn Presspack, it referred to Deal or No Deal being broadcast weekly.

Does that mean it’s basically a Family Fortunes style commission of 20 episodes that will probably be spread across a few runs in Prime Time?

Odd if so though, especially as they’ve lowered the money

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 12-08-2023

I think keeping the format of the contestants being in the wings will be a bit less successful with a weekly run too, especially as with 22 boxes and a 20 episode run not everyone in the first episode will even get a chance. I assume they're still selecting them "randomly" at the beginning of each episode rather than adding in some kind of qualifier as international versions had, which I think with a limited run would be fairer, and actually an extra opening round would pace the hour a bit better.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Jon - 12-08-2023

I’m not sure what the initial commission for Deal or No Deal for Channel 4 was. But had that commission not been extended there would have been contestants in the wings at some stage that wouldn’t have been given a chance once they decided not to do some more.

I don’t think that’s enough of reason for messing around with the format, especially if it gives the producers less control of who’s playing the game. I think the fairest thing to do would be tell a few contestants they’ve been selected to just open boxes with them also being back up contestants for this series and that they would play if there is any further commission. They’ve got to work on the assumption it would do well enough for a second order.

I still think there is a chance it’s for daytime. The review posted by JohnR on Bothers Bar says that the phrase ‘see you tomorrow’ was used. Possible they’re not really sure and may change that in the edit. 

I’ve seen suggestion ages ago by BuzzerBlog and in the last week by Bothers Bar they’re informed it’s for The Chase slot.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Neil Jones - 12-08-2023

Years ago they used to operate waiting lists for quiz shows such was demand for some of them, due to limited opportunity to get on the show itself. Bullseye used to have a massive waiting list just to sit in the audience never mind play the main game such was its popularity and one of the Chasers told some red top tabloid rag somewhere that there is at least a three year waiting list to get on The Chase.

I suppose its one way to manage the waiting list if a show gets big enough, stand behind a table, open a few boxes and one day you can get to sit by the Bakelite phone.

Anyway its probably no great secret that if you live up the road from the studio you'll probably spend more time in said studio than you would if the production has to pay for a hotel for a few nights for you.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - Brekkie - 12-08-2023

I think the record was 50 shows in the C4 era - and at the other end think one did just 7 too during the regular shows.

I think C4 originally commissioned 65 episodes but it was very swiftly renewed so it continued without a break. New daytime shows rarely get more than 20-30 episode commissions now, if that. Indeed The Chase only had 10 episodes in it's first series. (RIP The Fuse).

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - TheRealWB - 13-08-2023

I went to three of the recordings of the new DOND and they definitely made references to "yesterday's show" and "we'll see you tomorrow" etc.

Easily edited out I guess but would be strange to change it.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - XIII - 13-08-2023

(12-08-2023, 12:41 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Years ago they used to operate waiting lists for quiz shows such was demand for some of them, due to limited opportunity to get on the show itself.  Bullseye used to have a massive waiting list just to sit in the audience never mind play the main game such was its popularity and one of the Chasers told some red top tabloid rag somewhere that there is at least a three year waiting list to get on The Chase.

I'm not sure if a waitlist actually exists for something like The Chase, they get a lot of applications a year though.

RE: The TV Gameshow Thread - tellyblues - 13-08-2023

Wikipedia has DOND starting Monday 11th September, running Mon-Fri until 6th October. Don't know where that info has come from but the show doesn't suit a weekly slot.