Pres Café
Countdown - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Programme Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Countdown (/showthread.php?tid=70)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Countdown - Jon - 12-02-2023

It is ridiculous to say she was chosen for being a female. She was chosen for her level of profile, just like the Desmonds and probably Jeff and Hewer to a lesser extent. In terms of Channel 4 the fact they could say she was the first female presenter of Countdown was a bonus and probably an annoyance to Robinson.

The suggestion of Johnny Gold is just odd, although on that note it would be interesting to see his brother take on the role.

RE: Countdown - Kojak - 12-02-2023

(12-02-2023, 03:02 PM)Jon Wrote:  I totally disagree she was chosen for being a woman. She was chosen for her level of profile, just like the Desmonds and probably Jeff and Hewer to a lesser extent.

Obviously she has a very high profile, but do you not think there was an element of 'we've had loads of male hosts but never a female - let's change that' involved? Not that that's a bad thing, in any case - just that Anne was perhaps not the right woman for the job. Moira Stuart would have been good, I reckon.

(12-02-2023, 03:05 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(12-02-2023, 03:02 PM)Jon Wrote:  I totally disagree she was chosen for being a woman. She was chosen for her level of profile, just like the Desmonds and probably Jeff and Hewer to a lesser extent.

Obviously she has a very high profile, but do you not think there was an element of 'we've had loads of male hosts but never a female - let's change that' involved? Not that that's a bad thing, in any case - just that Anne was perhaps not the right woman for the job. Moira Stuart would have been good, I reckon.
In this case I absolutely don’t think it was a major factor in the decision. I think the same reasoning the previous presenters were chosen would have been applied. Of course you don’t need to reckon how Moria would have done considering she’s already presented for a week in the past few months.

RE: Countdown - Kojak - 12-02-2023

(12-02-2023, 03:02 PM)Jon Wrote:  The suggestion of Johnny Gold is just odd, although on that note it would be interesting to see his brother take on the role.
How is it odd, Jon? He’s hosted game shows before. Anyway, I don’t see how it’s that odd. You could have easily said the same about Nick Hewer, yet he hosted the show successfully for years. Do note as well I’m on about the baseball/Brainteaser presenter, NOT the TalkTV presenter/Jewish State host. They’re two completely different men. 

And I’d also appreciate it if you weren’t so antagonistic towards me all the time. Thanks.

My apologies I didn’t realise there was two Johny Goulds with low key sports presenting roles on their CVs. I always assumed the Talk TV was the one who’s presented American sports on Channel 5. Now I vaguely remember him being on Brainteaser but Alex Lovell and Craig Stevens are more memorable but that’s besides the point.

I think that demonstrates my point though, few know who he is and you want someone with at least a bit of profile as a starting point. I disagree about Nick Hewer, he’d certainly built a fan base thanks to pulling faces on a major BBC programme and shown some wit on TV panel shows. But yeah he was very much of the moment. And of course you could argue the point that Whitley didn’t have any kind of national profile when he was chosen, although I think it would be unlikely a mostly unknown would be given the role now.

By the way, I’m not trying to be antagonistic towards you, just trying to counter your points.

RE: Countdown - Steve in Pudsey - 12-02-2023

The Jonny Gould who used to be a sports broadcaster on on the original Talk Radio (and 5 News) took over from Dale Winton as the host of their Saturday evening quiz show and proved himself to be very personable and quick witted as I recall.

RE: Countdown - Brekkie - 12-02-2023

No doubt she was chosen for being Anne Robinson rather than just being a woman - they were more concerned about grabbing headlines than whether she was a fit for the show.    The guest host month showed there were better options for female hosts if that's all they wanted.

It's never been confirmed but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the case that Anne Robinson was placed on the show by C4 execs almost certainly against the show producers wishes.

RE: Countdown - nwtv2003 - 26-06-2023

A familiar face to Countdown has returned… albeit to dictionary corner. Unbelievable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct9Zel5o-xI/?igshid=MjAxZDBhZDhlNA ==

RE: Countdown - Roger Darthwell - 26-06-2023

(26-06-2023, 05:42 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  A familiar face to Countdown has returned… albeit to dictionary corner. Unbelievable.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct9Zel5o-xI/?igshid=MjAxZDBhZDhlNA ==

Is this the first time that a former host returns?

RE: Countdown - Rob Francis - 26-06-2023

No, Des Lynam returned to Dictionary Corner in 2010 for the show's 5,000th episode.