Pres Café
BBC/ITV South News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV South News (/showthread.php?tid=71)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Stuart - 06-10-2023

(06-10-2023, 08:52 PM)IanJRedman Wrote:  Is this our first tiny glimpse of the Southampton set? Looks like it will be launching with a Christmas tree:

https://twitter.com/TVRuss/status/1710375857653514343 
I don't think anyone would normally want to get something new up and running just before Christmas because of increased levels of annual leave and fewer people to sort out any major issues.

However, Southampton are already fully HD in terms of gallery and other infrastructure, so this might be a more straightforward installation as it's just a set replacement. That's assuming that IKEA delivered all the necessary parts. Tongue

RE: BBC/ITV South News - South - 06-10-2023

I think that might be Bristol, they are not due to return to their normal studio until December, I think Southampton is due back in next month.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - IanJRedman - 06-10-2023

(06-10-2023, 09:21 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I don't think anyone would normally want to get something new up and running just before Christmas because of increased levels of annual leave and fewer people to sort out any major issues.

However, Southampton are already fully HD in terms of gallery and other infrastructure, so this might be a more straightforward installation as it's just a set replacement. That's assuming that IKEA delivered all the necessary parts. Tongue

Although, isn't that technically true of all the set updates - they just replace the sets, don't they? With other upgrades rolling out separately?

In fact, I wondered if Southampton might be a little more involved, as it'll be the first time a new set has been tested alongside the new HD gallery kit?

RE: BBC/ITV South News - IanJRedman - 06-10-2023

(06-10-2023, 09:53 PM)South Wrote:  I think that might be Bristol, they are not due to return to their normal studio until December, I think Southampton is due back in next month.

Without being 100% sure, I was reasonably confident it's Southampton - especially as Russell has put another tweet up tonight that's definitely South Today.

Is it possible the go live has slipped by a couple of weeks?

Superman1986 - Superman1986 - 06-10-2023

(06-10-2023, 10:22 PM)UIanJRedman Wrote:  Without being 100% sure, I was reasonably confident it's Southampton - especially as Russell has put another tweet up tonight that's definitely South Today.

Is it possible the go live has slipped by a couple of weeks?
Alexis Green said on her Instagram story that the new set should go live in November

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Earlie37 - 06-10-2023

The set is pretty much finished but a lot of rehearsals still to come. So don't expect anything for a few more weeks yet as a date within November was always the plan. Amazing how much quicker things are when you have a proper sized and spec'ed studio with a decent scenery door with ample car park space!

Yes - Southampton will be the first English region with both HD infrastructure and the new gallery setup in place and the new set.

As mentioned before, gallery changes, updating HD infrastructure and the new style set roll-out are three separate projects. All sites have differing levels of complexity. A new set doesn't mean that the gallery and other infrastructure are updated at the same time. It is dependent on resource, the site constraints and the amount of upgrades that are required. Southampton is lucky as it was the trial site for the new gallery spec being rolled out to all English regions and was made HD capable at the same time. So it's the first site where the set upgrade is taking place after the other projects have already been completed. For the majority of regions, it is the other way around - the set is arriving before the gallery is refurbished and infrastructure is stripped out for HD provision.

As others have mentioned installing the new set is a much quicker project than the gallery and HD work. However, it does take a long time as there are power requirements needed to power the LED walls. There's also a lot of work to incorporate control of the imagery into the gallery and train the producing team on the templates to be used. Plus, for many regions, they have to rehearse a completely new format to presenting in the new set up - you've probably noticed a lot more consistency in how each region starts the program, how sport and weather are presented etc. Tunbridge Wells was a bit of an exception due to other factors creeping in which delayed the original timescale.

PS The photos in Russell's post are Southampton - the beige wall panels at BBC South are often a big giveaway!

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Pompeytv - 18-10-2023

No South Today late bulletin tonight. Joint South - South East from Tunbridge Wells, with Piers Hopkirk.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Mike - 19-10-2023

I just watched this 'BBC News' branded bulletin (I assume this is a standard thing being done to prevent silly naming conventions?) - why do BBC South East insist on using a different pitch headline bed for each headline. It's jarring to say the least.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Pompeytv - 25-10-2023

First bulletin this morning from BBC London. Must be short notice as no acknowledgement or apology.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Pompeytv - 25-10-2023

Nice conversation Jon Cuthill was having with the South Today gallery this evening, right across the weather on the 10!