Pres Café
BBC/ITV South News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV South News (/showthread.php?tid=71)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Stuart - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 04:57 PM)TJTSW Wrote:  I have to agree the Plymouth Set is one of the best they have ever had and they were so proud of it when it first launched, so bit worried about what will happen when it gets changed, as either they will shirnk the studio to half the space, or it will be a set with loads of dead space, if any of the new sets are to go by. Although I hope the powers that be at Plymouth try and make it work for the best, but who knows
They were rightly proud of it in 2015, especially as they'd fixed that lumpy floor which they used to joke about on screen. It had more potholes than a country lane in Cornwall.

Plymouth do have 'previous' for going a bit rogue, so you never know. Tongue

Furthermore, consistency isn't important, as the vast majority of people only ever watch their own region. Only us geeks gawp at other regions.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - DTV - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 05:08 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Furthermore, consistency isn't important, as the vast majority of people only ever watch their own region. Only us geeks gawp at other regions.
This is true, but I think works both ways - on the one hand ordinary viewers are unlikely to know/care about consistency between regions so it doesn't really matter, but on the other they're unlikely to know/care that everything is uniform and producing identikit titles/graphics/sets is cheaper (and often better quality) so consistency is more rational.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Stockland Hillman - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 05:08 PM)Stuart Wrote:  They were rightly proud of it in 2015, especially as they'd fixed that lumpy floor which they used to joke about on screen. It had more potholes than a country lane in Cornwall.

Plymouth do have 'previous' for going a bit rogue, so you never know. Tongue

Furthermore, consistency isn't important, as the vast majority of people only ever watch their own region. Only us geeks gawp at other regions.

Aren't they the only region (NW excluded) that use Mosart automation?

Thar might make Plymouth a bit different operationally as it needs custom templates etc, far more work than most regions.

Fingers crossed by the time the do Plymouth the plans have moved on again3to something more flexible

Are the HD upgraded regions on some automation? Someone somewhere mentioned Ross kit?

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Spencer - 11-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 05:08 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Furthermore, consistency isn't important, as the vast majority of people only ever watch their own region. Only us geeks gawp at other regions.
From an aesthetic point of view, no, it doesn’t really matter. But economically it makes more sense for the BBC to pay for one studio design rather than a dozen or so. Plus there’ll be savings to be made in buying matching kit in bulk.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Former Member 406 - 11-06-2023

There will be a very small percentage of "non-geek" viewers who may get some form of regular or occasional exposure to two or more different regions.

E.g. if they live in a signal overlap zone and get different regions on their living room and bedroom TVs, if at least one of these runs off an indoor aerial. Or if they often visit a friend/relative etc who receives a different region, even if it's just in a different part of the same "overlap" town. Or if they're on holiday in a different part of the UK, and happen to watch the regional news (just as they would usually do at home) whilst in their hotel room/chalet/static holiday caravan etc.

In any of these kinds of circumstances, the "not my usual region" programme having the same general look and feel as the "home" region that they're used to seeing has the benefit of therefore not being an utterly alien experience for them.

That said, I do miss the days of my childhood family holidays at the UK seaside in the 1980s-90s and how "exotic" it seemed when catching a regional news programme with an utterly dissimilar look to my native region.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - harshy - 12-06-2023

These new ikea sets come with new issues like the moire especially on the weather forecast, the old sets never did that.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - southern_boy - 12-06-2023

(11-06-2023, 07:19 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Are the HD upgraded regions on some automation? Someone somewhere mentioned Ross kit?

Ross Overdrive I believe.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - South - 12-06-2023

(12-06-2023, 11:39 AM)harshy Wrote:  These new ikea sets come with new issues like the moire especially on the weather forecast, the old sets never did that.

Is this not more to do with the distance of the camera and the screens? Sets like Look North and Midlands today do not have very much space behind the camera, however Southampton, Bristol, Newcastle and Plymouth are far larger spaces, which mean the cameras can sit further back.

RE: BBC/ITV South News - ViridianFan - 13-06-2023

I can see why having all regions with the same set would help with budgets making it cheaper, but I have to say I’ve always love seeing the various looks in the regions when travelling to another part of the county. 

It was interesting to see how different parts of the country were interpreting the NBH look. They all had different elements of the look but all looked unique. I think the only thing which was annoying was you had places which seemed to be constantly changing or tweaking their sets and here in the east has been very little change with then exception of the desk being replaced with a sofa. 

I do think the new studios look very bland in comparison and the cityscape back drops just look a bit cold and sterile

RE: BBC/ITV South News - Stuart - 13-06-2023

It's worrying that a very small BBC studio at Millbank (it really is tiny) has not been subject to this moiré effect while using 3-wall LCD screens from 4 years ago, yet the new installations are experiencing issues. Confused

Which means the camera distance excuse doesn't make sense. Did they just get the most recent LCD ones from eBay at a discount?