Pres Café
Sky News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Sky News (/showthread.php?tid=73)

RE: Sky News - lhx1985 - 25-09-2023

It was about the time Adam Boulton left. Though I'm not sure he said that that the presenter didn't matter, just that the days on an 'all powerful anchor' had passed.

edit ... https://pressgazette.co.uk/people/sky-news-boss-john-ryley-says-age-of-the-all-powerful-anchor-is-gone-30-years-after-retirement-of-sir-alastair-burnet/ 

RE: Sky News - ginnyfan - 25-09-2023

How's Kay taking all of this? New names, new stars, new schedule and not a mention of tv's longest serving news presenter? Exclamation

RE: Sky News - AJB39 - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 05:41 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  How's Kay taking all of this? New names, new stars, new schedule and not a mention of tv's longest serving news presenter? Exclamation

I presume there’s been no mention of her because she’s not moving time slot.

RE: Sky News - Dougal - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 05:41 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  How's Kay taking all of this? New names, new stars, new schedule and not a mention of tv's longest serving news presenter? Exclamation

Genuine question… Is she?

I would have thought somebody like Sally Taylor or Kirsty Wark would have a stronger claim to that title.

They might have longer careers overall but no one has longer, continuous daily presence on a news channel. Kay had a regular slot on Sky News since 1990s and as one of the launch presenters, I assume during the early years as well.

(25-09-2023, 06:56 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  They might have longer careers overall but no one has longer, continuous daily presence on a news channel. Kay had a regular slot on Sky News  since 1990s and as one of the launch presenters, I assume during the early years as well.
So… you’re wrong. She isn’t “tv’s longest serving news presenter”. 

Sally Taylor started on South Today two years before Sky News started.
Kirsty Wark started on BBC Breakfast Time in 1988.
Sally Magnussen started on BBC Breakfast Time in 1985 before going back to BBC Scotland in 1997.

Kay Burley may have been a presenter on a news channel longer than anybody else (not difficult since Sky had a 10 year head start on the BBC) but… she’s not “tv’s longest serving news presenter”.

Honestly. A quick search on Google would have told you this.

RE: Sky News - JamesWorldNews - 25-09-2023

Wow! What’s with the aggression? Welcome to the forum, by the way. X

(25-09-2023, 07:09 PM)Dougal Wrote:  So… you’re wrong. She isn’t “tv’s longest serving news presenter”. 

Sally Taylor started on South Today two years before Sky News started.
Kirsty Wark started on BBC Breakfast Time in 1988.
Sally Magnussen started on BBC Breakfast Time in 1985 before going back to BBC Scotland in 1997.

Kay Burley may have been a presenter on a news channel longer than anybody else (not difficult since Sky had a 10 year head start on the BBC) but… she’s not “tv’s longest serving news presenter”.

Honestly. A quick search on Google would have told you this.

Have all of them had a regular weekday slot, without any breaks,  since the day they started? That was my point, and I assume this is the case with Burley. She's been on, non stop! I could be totally wrong of course, but that's my impression when they use that ''longest-serving presenter'' line for her.

(25-09-2023, 07:27 PM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Wow! What’s with the aggression? Welcome to the forum, by the way. X
Thanks for welcome (though I’ve been here for long enough and this isn’t my first post).

No aggression. I just dislike sweeping statements and broad generalisations. Arguments should be grounded in fact.

(25-09-2023, 07:41 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Have all of them had a regular weekday slot, without any breaks,  since the day they started? That was my point, and I assume this is the case with Burley. She's been on, non stop! I could be totally wrong of course, but that's my impression when they use that ''longest-serving presenter'' line for her.
You’ve overlooked her suspension for breaching Covid regulations.

Have they all had a regular weekday slot? Yes. That’s not to say they may not have taken the odd bit of time off for health reasons or for other projects.

RE: Sky News - Luc - 25-09-2023

(25-09-2023, 01:26 PM)Skygeek Wrote:  When exactly did John Ryley ever say this?

I paraphrased that - as was kindly pointed out by lhx1985, he said the age of the powerful anchor is gone. This could be seen on screen as the channel became ever more bland and supine - albeit inarguably underpinned by great, solid journalism.

The new boss David Rhodes - as i'm sure you're well aware as an employee - now appears focused on 'talent', helming new shows in the evenings with their names in their titles to shore up audience share with the aim of overtaking the BBC News channel and facing down GB News from 7pm.