Pres Café
2024 Local Elections - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: 2024 Local Elections (/showthread.php?tid=739)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: 2024 Local Elections - lookoutwales - 02-05-2024

In any case, North West Tonight had a good package with Annabel Tiffin (in her Political Editor role) last night explaining which elections were taking place where.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - TMD_24 - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 06:10 PM)XIII Wrote:  Is it normal for local news not to mention the elections today?

Yes the same election rules on reporting for local news.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - London Lite - 02-05-2024

London's results won't be announced until Saturday. I remember the one for Mayor wasn't announced until late on Saturday night.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - interestednovice - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 06:15 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  All they can say is voting has started, closes at 2200 and bring ID

Yes, although with awareness around the new process of voting requiring ID probably not being as high as it perhaps should be, it would have been useful for the media in general to be mentioning it this time!

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Radio_man - 02-05-2024

With the majority of the council, mayoral and police & crime commissioner results expected tomorrow, surely it would make more sense to have the 'A' team of Laura K, Chris Mason, Reeta C and Prof John Curtis on all day tomorrow rather than overnight tonight?

As it is, tomorrow when most of the most important results are coming in, on the BBC you have a choice of the NC live from the balcony all morning and an extended Politics Live in the afternoon.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Andrew - 02-05-2024

The viewing figures for overnight election coverage when it’s only local elections in some area, many areas aren’t voting, and the biggest votes are being counted later, must be incredibly small, and not worth wasting the A team on.

I’m surprised there is no coverage scheduled for Saturday considering the biggest mayoral elections are declaring then

With everyone looking at cost savings, whether that are the councils or the broadcasters, I wonder if there will ever be a time when overnight counts become a thing of the past? Maybe kept just for general elections before even being discontinued with those as well.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - RhysJR - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 07:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The viewing figures for overnight election coverage when it’s only local elections in some area, many areas aren’t voting, and the biggest votes are being counted later, must be incredibly small, and not worth wasting the A team on.

I’m surprised there is no coverage scheduled for Saturday considering the biggest mayoral elections are declaring then

With everyone looking at cost savings, whether that are the councils or the broadcasters, I wonder if there will ever be a time when overnight counts become a thing of the past? Maybe kept just for general elections before even being discontinued with those as well.

I thought the last Welsh Parliament election worked well for a TV viewer's perspective with the counting starting in the morning. Results started coming in around 1/2pm and were at their busiest in the 5pm-6pm hour. So far better for the public to view the democratic process being delivered.

Not sure if there might be security implications or concerns with delaying the start of the count of a general election. There would be millions of ballots needed to be stored securely across the country. Other elections are less of an event and will have less ballots, so not counting overnight will be more favourable.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Brekkie - 02-05-2024

Part of the appeal of general elections is the fact most the admin is done when you sleep and you can just get the result the next morning.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - Radio_man - 02-05-2024

(02-05-2024, 07:50 PM)Andrew Wrote:  The viewing figures for overnight election coverage when it’s only local elections in some area, many areas aren’t voting, and the biggest votes are being counted later, must be incredibly small, and not worth wasting the A team on.

Where I am in Wales, in 2021 we had the elections for the Welsh Parliament, and in 2022 there were Wales-wide council elections. On both occasions the results were counted during the day on the Friday, and so BBC Wales had a live results program running all afternoon and into Friday evening with Wales Today anchor Nick Servini and their political editor and various academics and commentators of Welsh Politics.
They commented during the coverage in how they'd seen the most audience engagement with their results program ever and Prof Richard Wyn Jones (Wales' answer to John Curtis) commented how much better it was for engagement in Welsh democracy for people to be able to follow the results live when everyone was awake.

RE: 2024 Local Elections - radio listener - 02-05-2024

I'm more surprised that very few local radio stations on the BBC are having any night time coverage, although in this area the only vote is for the PCC.