Pres Café
BBC/ITV East News - Printable Version

+- Pres Café (https://pres.cafe)
+-- Forum: Pres Café TV and Radio Forums (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: News and Sport Presentation (https://pres.cafe/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: BBC/ITV East News (/showthread.php?tid=81)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32

RE: BBC/ITV East News - harshy - 16-10-2023

The titles don’t seem to be in time with the music and the screens just look washed out like the Newcastle ones, they should have just upgraded the studios first then launch into HD, what’s the point in putting HD for sets that are 10+ years old.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - m_in_m - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 05:14 PM)harshy Wrote:  The titles don’t seem to be in time with the music and the screens just look washed out like the Newcastle ones, they should have just upgraded the studios first then launch into HD, what’s the point in putting HD for sets that are 10+ years old.

I suspect it is just making efficient use of resource. If we waited for all studios to be upgraded then the HD upgrade would take longer because it presumably involves a different skillset and teams.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - DTV - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 04:48 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  I thought they had designed the new sets based on the smallest available space.
I think this is semi-true, in that the base set seems to have been designed to fit Birmingham, the smallest 'normal' studio. But with some of the weirder shaped or sized ones, there seems to have been minor alterations to the design - Hull's set isn't quite as 'deep', as the studio is very long and narrow, and Tunbridge Wells' isn't quite as high, due to the lower ceiling. It's 'one size fits all', up to a point.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Tvtrombome - 16-10-2023

I believe there are only two sized sets after being shown around hull a few months ago. They have the same set as Birmingham and Nottingham, and Leeds and South East have a slightly smaller one. That’s what I was told by one op there

RE: BBC/ITV East News - South - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 08:37 PM)Tvtrombome Wrote:  I believe there are only two sized sets after being shown around hull a few months ago. They have the same set as Birmingham and Nottingham, and Leeds and South East have a slightly smaller one. That’s what I was told by one op there

I believe the footprint of all of the new sets are the same, the main difference is the height. I think Look North Yorkshire and South East Today have slightly shorter sets LED tile wise, with South East also having a smaller lighting box at the top of the screens due to the low grid height.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - lepeterrr - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 08:37 PM)Tvtrombome Wrote:  I believe there are only two sized sets after being shown around hull a few months ago. They have the same set as Birmingham and Nottingham, and Leeds and South East have a slightly smaller one. That’s what I was told by one op there
I think all the sizes are similar, it's just the height that seems to change quite dramatically depending on the varying ceiling heights.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - UTVLifer - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 10:17 PM)South Wrote:  I believe the footprint of all of the new sets are the same, the main difference is the height. I think Look North Yorkshire and South East Today have slightly shorter sets LED tile wise, with South East also having a smaller lighting box at the top of the screens due to the low grid height.

And Look Levy's isn't as deep as their studio is more like a shoebox in shape than a square

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Worzel - 16-10-2023

(16-10-2023, 05:14 PM)harshy Wrote:  The titles don’t seem to be in time with the music and the screens just look washed out like the Newcastle ones, they should have just upgraded the studios first then launch into HD, what’s the point in putting HD for sets that are 10+ years old.
As has already been mentioned the set upgrades are being carried out by a separate team to the gallery/HD upgrades. 

The gallery upgrades include new graphics engines and a move to [color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ross XPression (Norwich was using Aston from when they moved to The Forum AIUI) and other bits of kit to allow full HD end-to-end. As you could see from the opening of Politics East, the gallery had already had some work completed from the previous weekend engineering works earlier in the year. I believe Norwich is still using the Thomson cameras.[/font][/color]

[color=#333333][font='Open Sans', 'segoe ui', 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]A few people have asked in other threads about the status of the Cambridge studio and gallery. They're both currently being dismantled. I believe Norwich is due to get its new set in the New Year.[/font][/color]

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Mike - 16-10-2023

Norwich aren't using Thomson cameras any more. The HD upgrades necessitate a change to Sony cameras as part of the kit of parts.

The Thomson 1707s were first marketed in 1999 and stopped being sold in 2003, and were SD 16:9 digital cameras. There's no way, even with upscaling, the picture quality of Look East would be anywhere as good if they were still using them (not even sure they'd necessarily be compatible with the new workflow?).

EDIT: to see the difference in picture quality between the two types in HD, look at the late bulletin at around 1m46s where they use some archive footage in a package from September.

RE: BBC/ITV East News - Keith - 17-10-2023

During Breakfast this morning the pre-recorded weather bulletin was noticeably better in quality. Not sure if it's directly related to them going HD or just a different source, but sometimes in the past it's looked like a dodgy quality internet stream.