The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Coverage has been terrible today, not sure if anyone had it but my stream has frozen and jumped. I know I have said it before but if this was on ITV/Free to air channel this would not have happened.

No issues for me on TNT Sports on Now TV, at least for the second half. I have to say I couldn’t get on the RTE Player feed, but the fault there may have been on my end. I have to say kudos for whoever’s bright idea it was to get Jose Mourihno on, he’s been a great (if temporary) addition to the coverage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Transmission

RTÉ2 has a lower third graphic on the bottom of the screen which says Real Madrid are UEFA Champions League Winners.

Although it is not shown in the UEFA graphic template format. It might be a graphics template from the RTÉ Sport department.

I watched the second half on the Discovery+ app on a YouView box, and there was no freezing or stuttering - it was clean, and without the poor frame rate conversion the YouTube stream suffered in previous years.

One minor note from what I saw of TNT's coverage - they added a graphic post match labelling Real Madrid as "UCL winners". I know UCL gets used quite a bit internally, but would your average viewer ever refer to the Champions League as that?
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • Rdd, RhysJR

(2 hours ago)Rdd Wrote:  No issues for me on TNT Sports on Now TV, at least for the second half. I have to say I couldn’t get on the RTE Player feed, but the fault there may have been on my end. I have to say kudos for whoever’s bright idea it was to get Jose Mourihno on, he’s been a great (if temporary) addition to the coverage.

No problem me for Discovery+ either, apart from when I was trying to skip through the adverts when watching the build-up on a slight delay. RTÉ Player almost always ends up giving me a horrible picture quality when I try using it.

Got to agree Jose Mourinho was an unexpected success. A personal favourite was ahead of kick-off when laura Woods asked him what he told his players before a final and answered something like "Make sure their families are crying not ours". Big Grin

(2 hours ago)bkman1990 Wrote:  RTÉ2 has a lower third graphic on the bottom of the screen which says Real Madrid are UEFA Champions League Winners.

Although it is not shown in the UEFA graphic template format. It might be a graphics template from the RTÉ Sport department.

I think all broadcasters use their own lower third graphics for things like that. The TNT Sports one looks close to the UEFA template, but it's not the right font I don't think.

ZDF in Germany are using their own lower thirds for interviews etc. and used their own graphics for teamsheets etc. in the build-up. Surprised they are allowed to do that.

(2 hours ago)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Coverage has been terrible today, not sure if anyone had it but my stream has frozen and jumped. I know I have said it before but if this was on ITV/Free to air channel this would not have happened.

A reminder that ITV almost lost England v, Scotland at the same venue three years back.
tvliveforum.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, Rdd

CBS had a star signing as a new pundit tonight. Branching out after her work on the Super Bowl.

x.com 

(1 hour ago)thegeek Wrote:  I watched the second half on the Discovery+ app on a YouView box, and there was no freezing or stuttering - it was clean, and without the poor frame rate conversion the YouTube stream suffered in previous years.

One minor note from what I saw of TNT's coverage - they added a graphic post match labelling Real Madrid as "UCL winners". I know UCL gets used quite a bit internally, but would your average viewer ever refer to the Champions League as that?

I wouldn't call myself an 'average viewer' but I would use UCL on the internet at least. It's far shorter than UEFA Champions League anyway. #UCL on Twitter gives a special emoji and I think it's common internet shorthand on hashtag etc., like on the CBS post above.

Next year the acronyms get a little disfigured with the Europa Confernce League dropping the 'Europa' from its name, so that will be UCL as well, rather than UECL. That will be one of many changes for next season of course, including Thursday night Champions League football in one week in September.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Rdd

I don’t think so. I have seen it used by UEFA, but I suspect it might become a bit more problematic going forward as the third tier tournament becomes the UEFA Conference League.