BBC/ITV Midlands News

I see that Midlands Today are capable of moving camera shots at times throughout the programme, so any particular reason they can’t at the end of the programme and only use that static blurry shot? They seemed to have a normal camera in place on Bank Holiday Monday though for the tower wide shot.

(29-05-2024, 10:18 AM)JD_ Wrote:  I see that Midlands Today are capable of moving camera shots at times throughout the programme, so any particular reason they can’t at the end of the programme and only use that static blurry shot? They seemed to have a normal camera in place on Bank Holiday Monday though for the tower wide shot.

I really don't get why the PTZ looks like someone has smeared vaseline over the lens. I don't think even in the gallery that would look normal on a preview monitor...

As for using the PTZ for the closing wide shot, it's probably because of a lack of space in that particular corner of the studio. Directly behind it is the PTZ mounted to the wall, a wallbox which various cameras are plugged into, a computer on a trolley used for breakfast and the door into the newsroom from when the set had a window overlooking it. There's also cables galore strewn in that area for the camera peds and it's easier to use the locked off PTZ than move cables for 2 cameras, one whole ped just to get a shot that closes the bulletin and is seen for 2 seconds on air.

Fairly recently (as in the last 10 years) the specific camera operator roles have gone and been replaced with a 'technical operator' that fulfils the role of floor manager, camera operator (and I think director for breakfast bulletins). In years gone by the regions would have one or two camera operators per studio but the whole reason for a lot of the changes (single headed presentation, amalgamated roles, standardised sets and the IGS which can be run by one person) is to reduce the overall number of people to produce a programme.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mike's post:
  • JD_