Thread Closed

2024 Local Elections

At least the BBC News UK feed is sticking with the election results while the World Feed does go to the Travel Show.

I can't see how the BBC are going to be able to cover the UK General Election without fully separating World and the UK NC between 9am - 10pm. (And by that I mean the NC operating as a fully separate channel with it's own studio, not a UK opt of the World channel with one presenter on all day sat on the balcony)

The daytime will be filled with policy announcements, speeches etc and the evening people will be tuning in expecting to see a round up of the days events, not The World Today or The Context.

Sky have outshone the BBC yesterday and most definitely today with their coverage
[-] The following 2 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AJB39, chrisherald

(04-05-2024, 08:33 PM)DTV Wrote:  Also, within the BBC coverage, Coburn is frankly a better presenter and interviewer, it seems odd that she isn't seriously considered to be the main election night presenter.

I'm wondering if Laura K might be downgraded for the GE now, she's really blundered with the london mayoral farce.
[-] The following 8 users Like James2001's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, GMc, kookaburra, matthieu1221, oscillon, Will

(04-05-2024, 08:34 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  I can't see how the BBC are going to be able to cover the UK General Election without fully separating World and the UK NC between 9am - 10pm.
Of course that’s exactly what they’ll do - very common for General Election programmes to continue well into Friday, and if it’s a significant change it’ll go all the way through the day. And World may take a significant part of that coverage.

I wouldn’t take any guidance from what’s happened with a set of local elections and some mayoral - albeit those close to an expected general election - with results spread out over two days, compared to the levels of coverage a General Election will get.
[-] The following 2 users Like News Engineer's post:
  • chrisherald, Jeff

(04-05-2024, 08:32 PM)all new phil Wrote:  They simply don’t seem to have the capability to roll with something like this today. I’ve been thinking what they *should* have done, and I’m struggling to imagine who they’d have had presenting, and where from.

Ridge, Coates and Rigby on Sky are really showing how it should be done.

They were quick to switch to Millbank yesterday and hand it over to the Politics Live team so extending that through to today could have been an option. I don't think it's a case that today's coverage should have been in the hands of the news channel team but that the dedicated BBC election coverage should have continued, even if it only aired on the news channel.

Talking of Jo Coburn does she have a regular cover presenter on Politics Live? I do think she is a much better presenter than the format she now has to work with.
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Have the Beeb actually confirmed the WM mayoral result yet? (out at the moment so keeping an eye on socials - Sky and ITV Central have but BBC Midlands are still waiting…)

(04-05-2024, 08:40 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  Of course that’s exactly what they’ll do - very common for General Election programmes to continue well into Friday, and if it’s a significant change it’ll go all the way through the day. And World may take a significant part of that coverage.

I wouldn’t take any guidance from what’s happened with a set of local elections and some mayoral - albeit those close to an expected general election - with results spread out over two days, compared to the levels of coverage a General Election will get.

I don't just mean a separate UK channel for coverage of the GE results, I mean for the at least 5 week campaign, the actual results, and then the aftermath in the days & weeks afterwards.

(04-05-2024, 08:32 PM)all new phil Wrote:  They simply don’t seem to have the capability to roll with something like this today. I’ve been thinking what they *should* have done, and I’m struggling to imagine who they’d have had presenting, and where from.

The BBC are not exactly short of facilities, even with Studio E out of action. They could have run a proper opt (rather than a balcony one, because this was - let’s face it - a totally planned and foreseeable event where we always knew lots of results would be coming in late today) from Studio D (a proper NBH studio) or Millbank and have a special weekend Politics Live.

They could even have used Studio B again and relegated BBC One news updates to Studio D.

Any of these options would have been pretty easy to pull off. Any seasoned BBC NC presenter could have handled the opt - it also probably would have been quite possible for Jo Coburn to come back today, as she was not involved in overnight coverage. Ditto Vicki Young. Why they haven’t done this, when it’s obviously the only real way to cover the story properly, makes no sense.

Clive is also very good with elections and has been the senior next-day news channel presenter in the past.

Victoria Derbyshire or Kirsty Wark would also have done a fine job.
[-] The following 8 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jeff, Omnipresent, oscillon, UTVLifer

(04-05-2024, 08:47 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Have the Beeb actually confirmed the WM mayoral result yet? (out at the moment so keeping an eye on socials - Sky and ITV Central have but BBC Midlands are still waiting…)
They are reporting that Labour sources are claiming victory in the WM Mayoral election.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • lookoutwales

(04-05-2024, 08:24 PM)James2001 Wrote:  In fact it's fair to say barely any of the important results were on Thursday night, they were mostly yesterday and today. That's where their main focus should have been, not Geeta in a broom cupboard interrupted by sport and The Travel Show. It's not like a GE where everything important's overnight and done and dusted by the morning.

The presenter is Azadeh Moshiri, not Geeta Guru-Murthy.
Thread Closed