Children's Television Nostalgia

(23-03-2024, 04:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  ITV4 launched back in the day when each original EPG slot had two subsidiary spaces. It made sense for them to list ITV2/3/4 sequentially next to each other.

ITV4 didn't launch on the Sky EPG at all though.

(23-03-2024, 04:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Furthermore, ITV4 and Men & Motors co-existed for about 5 years.
It was 3.5 years - but yes, this is precisely my point - @JAS84 confidently states that Carlton Kids would have 'become' CITV and cited the example of Granada Plus 'becoming' ITV3 as proof that this would definitively be the case; which ignores the fact that particular move was anything but well planned and then wasn't repeated 2 years later when ITV4 launched, even though it meant not having Sky carriage at launch.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko

So the wife and I were talking about kids tv, more specifically Cartoon Network when it was in its prime in the mid to late 90s. As we have kids and have the channels I decided to look at the listings for Cartoon Network and it appears it’s literally Teen Titans Go and The Amazing World of Gumball in a 24 hour loop, no other programmes being shown. I’m actually surprised in its current state that it’s still running to be honest.

Mod note: Thread merged with existing similar topic discussing children's television 'in the olden days' versus now.

All kids TV pales to what is was in the 90s/early 00s - commercially, there is no money in it thanks to HFSS advertising bans and the fact most kids will watch streaming. CITV was getting less than 5000 viewers so the subscription channels are probably getting less!

As Cartoon Network is WDB, they are probably running a basic service until Max can launch and will then end up moving that content off linear TV.

Usually from past experience with channel scheduling that if it gets to a point where it’s only showing a couple of different programmes, you can expect it to close at some point but its clearly being kept alive for a specific reason, probably because it’s currently their only outlet for those two programmes.

TTG is already running daily on ITV2 as part of the zombified CITV strand (which looking at the schedule seems overly reliant on Scooby-Doo shows) so there would still be a linear outlet for that even if ITV2 did close. Gumball could easily be sold to another broadcaster if they did want to keep that show in a linear window.

Saying that, I think Boomerang will likely close before CN, they have been winding the brand down worldwide in favour of Cartoonito and I could see WBD wanting the UK version to take advantage of Boomerang's higher EPG slots.

There's some confusion over here
Teen Titans Go Is annoyingly to have whole day, but it's a monthly stunt

Plus, what they did in other European countries is irrelevant, I think Boomerang rates a bit better than CN, but I'm not sure

WBD is not Disney, they need to have some linear channels running for children
It's far from being as popular as Disney, and their content would lose visibility

I get the impression once Max launches in the UK and Europe though their kids channels will go the same way as Disney. I don't think visibility would be much difference there than on their linear channels, which generally have always been in the shadow of Disney and Nick anyway.

(22-05-2024, 04:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I get the impression once Max launches in the UK and Europe though their kids channels will go the same way as Disney. I don't think visibility would be much difference there than on their linear channels, which generally have always been in the shadow of Disney and Nick anyway.

Being included in kids only channel packages certainly hasn't done their visibility any favours.

(22-05-2024, 07:50 AM)ACTV Wrote:  TTG is already running daily on ITV2 as part of the zombified CITV strand (which looking at the schedule seems overly reliant on Scooby-Doo shows) so there would still be a linear outlet for that even if ITV2 did close. Gumball could easily be sold to another broadcaster if they did want to keep that show in a linear window.

Saying that, I think Boomerang will likely close before CN, they have been winding the brand down worldwide in favour of Cartoonito and I could see WBD wanting the UK version to take advantage of Boomerang's higher EPG slots.

I'm not sure why WBD would care if it had a completely unpublicised and almost unknown linear strand in the event that they'd decided to withdraw the linear outlets which they control?

Children aren't scouring EPGs looking for stuff which is of interest to them. They'll just open whatever streaming apps are available to them.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com